Notices

sorta a newcomer again

Old 11-10-2004, 11:05 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
sunny dayz takin the pain away

sorta a newcomer again

undefined
hi im sorta a newcomer. i went through a 12 step rehab back almost 2 years. was clean for about 6 months then fell off track. today i decided to try it once more. im sooooo tired of living this way. and its getting me no where fast. i live in Az and im looking to find some new friends. if you have any advice ( besides going to meetings) please feel free to help. :hello2
Old 11-10-2004, 11:31 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
I choose to live

:hello2 Steffy..Welcome at SR I've been here for almost two months..And there's a lot suport here..Hope to read more posts of you in the future..Love from Stefanie
Old 11-11-2004, 02:01 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Not the center of the Universe

Welcome steffy!

Advice besides "going to meetings"? Look for recovery everywhere. Find it in the things you do, the people you meet, the music you listen to, the books you read, and the movies you watch. Personally, I've never found much recovery in television but I suppose it's there too if you can see past/put up with all the dreck. Here are some places I've found it outside of "going to meetings".

Music: Bob Marley, Luciano (reggae not opera), James Taylor, John Coltrane, Neil Young, Black Uhuru

Books: "Long Days Journey Into Night" - Eugene O'Neil, "The Power of Now" - Eckhart Tolle, "Conversations with God : An Uncommon Dialogue" - Neale Donald Walsch, "Ender's Game" - Orson Scott Card, "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance" - Robert Persig, "First Year Sobriety - When All That Changes Is Everything" - Guy Kettelhack, "Life of Pi" - Yan Martel

Movies: "Cool Runnings", "Karate Kid", "Hoosiers", "Dead Poets Society", "To Kill A Mockingbird", "Remember the Titans", "It's A Wonderful Life", "Guess Who's Coming to Dinner"

And of course there is N.A. and A.A. I didn't want these, I didn't think I needed these, I thought the whole idea was goofy and "church campy" and just "so not for me". I thought that my recovery would somehow be more significant, more real, more of an achievement if I did it all by myself. To this day, my father thinks that I've joined some kind of cult. I have to reassure him that I'll be the first person out the door the minute the person chairing the meeting says "The comet is almost here so let's pass out the kool-aid"

I sincerely hope you find your way over the mountain. What you are trying to do is so worth the effort and you can do it if you want it with all your heart.

Jah Bless
Old 11-11-2004, 08:14 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

What do you mean, finding out? The comet IS almost here. Gimme some more cool aid!

Steffy-- Recovery happens when the pain of drinking/using becomes more than the pain of being sober. A bad day sober is better than a good day using. Do it for YOU, no one or nothing else can make it a success. I believe in you and know you can do this. Stay present in TODAY, don't drink, and the past and the future will take care of itself. Welcome and thanks for sharing your journey.

jojo
Old 11-11-2004, 08:35 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Learning To Let It Be

Most of all, no matter what, don't use and keep coming back!

'One life you go to do what you should.'