Notices

Take it easy and be kind to yourself

Old 07-19-2018, 07:42 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Take it easy and be kind to yourself

No matter what you’ve done and how much regret you have remember to take it easy and be kind to yourself. No good comes from beating yourself up; just more self-hatred and pain. Be kind to yourself; if at the very least you are sober then that’s a real achievement to be proud of. Never forget that.

Grateful to be sober.
Old 07-19-2018, 07:53 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Think it's from Jordan Peterson but I like:

Treat yourself like someone you are responsible for helping.

If that was the case, that you were assigned to "help" yourself, objectively, from an outsider's perspective, what would you do?
Old 07-19-2018, 09:23 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you , brighter day and less gravity, I have been beating myself up for a week now, been sober 7 days today, I had my first full blown blackout last week , do not remember the last 2-3 hours of night, I am so ashamed and embarrassed , and terrified of ever having another one that I decided to quit drinking , it's no longer fun it has not been for awhile, I felt like such a loser I am driving to work calling myself a loser, I went back to apologize to the bar I was at , people told me not to do that , but it was killing me, they were very good and supportive and said I was not out of control but a lot drunker than they have ever seen me. I told them I probably will never be back I was quitting alcohol for good. I hope that statement remains true. I guess it will take time before I stop beating myself up.
Old 07-19-2018, 09:55 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bunchie View Post
Thank you , brighter day and less gravity, I have been beating myself up for a week now, been sober 7 days today, I had my first full blown blackout last week , do not remember the last 2-3 hours of night, I am so ashamed and embarrassed , and terrified of ever having another one that I decided to quit drinking , it's no longer fun it has not been for awhile, I felt like such a loser I am driving to work calling myself a loser, I went back to apologize to the bar I was at , people told me not to do that , but it was killing me, they were very good and supportive and said I was not out of control but a lot drunker than they have ever seen me. I told them I probably will never be back I was quitting alcohol for good. I hope that statement remains true. I guess it will take time before I stop beating myself up.
One thing is for sure for me and that is that action was required to make sure I remained sober. Once the memories of the horror fade then the next drink becomes more likely again without the defence of a recovery program. AA is a great program for keeping alcoholics sober as well as here at SR (you can make this your recovery program) as well as the many other recovery programs. All the best. Take it easy Regardless of the method used used it is action on a daily basis and change within all aspects of your life/thinking that will keep you sober in my experience.