Notices

Learned a thing or two about myself

Old 07-18-2018, 06:03 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Learned a thing or two about myself

I’m 35 days sober today. On this journey, I’ve learned a thing or two about myself. I used to think that I was a shy person who needed alcohol to:

- socialize
- be outgoing
- dance
- have difficult conversations
- engage in conversations
- have fun

Guess what? I don’t need alcohol for anything!! I have learned that I can be an outgoing, fun person who can socialize and dance in public without a single drop of alcohol!! I sure am enjoying getting to know my sober self and learning what I am actually capable of.
Old 07-18-2018, 06:08 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Recovery is a constant learning process. You learn so much about yourself and you never stop learning.
Old 07-18-2018, 07:40 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Great stuff. I agree, sobriety is the only way we can finally give ourselves the chance to find out who the heck we really are.

Keep it up and congrats.
Old 07-18-2018, 07:51 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

Yeah, I was afraid I wouldn't be able to have fun sober. Thought I needed booze to socialize. I used that as a handy excuse to drink whenever I had a social activity. I do just fine without it now, and actually have MORE fun, because I remember everything, don't make a fool of myself, and have no regrets the next day. It's fantastic. And the longer I am sober, the more self-assured I become, and find it easier and easier to get out there and meet and talk to people sans alcohol. I smile more now, too.
Old 07-18-2018, 10:57 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

That's awesome , I have had 2 relapses one after 40 days and another after 77, and I feel very uncomfortable around social settings because they involve alcohol, I think it's wonderful that you are coping so well, keep it up and hopefully keep posting I want to know how you do it , and how you are doing,
Bunchie(6 days)
Old 07-18-2018, 11:35 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MLD51 View Post
I smile more now, too.
Me too! I didn’t realize just how angry I had been for years.
Old 07-18-2018, 11:39 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bunchie View Post
That's awesome , I have had 2 relapses one after 40 days and another after 77, and I feel very uncomfortable around social settings because they involve alcohol, I think it's wonderful that you are coping so well, keep it up and hopefully keep posting I want to know how you do it , and how you are doing,
Bunchie(6 days)
Bunchie,

It took me well over a year to do something about the problem I knew I had. In that time, I got progressively worse and was quickly spiraling out of control. I then just decided to quit - no binge to say goodbye, no second thoughts about it. I just woke up and said I’m done! It’s probably helpful that I am an extremely stubborn person and won’t change my mind once I make a decision. I’ve also got a supportive husband and have found SR to be the most helpful. I have no problem leaving social gatherings early, even though I was always the last to leave events! Hang in there! Congrats on 6 days!!
Old 07-18-2018, 11:41 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by brighterday1234 View Post
Recovery is a constant learning process. You learn so much about yourself and you never stop learning.
Good! I’m excited to see what the future me has in store for myself!
Old 07-18-2018, 11:41 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lessgravity View Post
Great stuff. I agree, sobriety is the only way we can finally give ourselves the chance to find out who the heck we really are.

Keep it up and congrats.
Thanks!
Old 07-18-2018, 11:48 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I have 48 days sober today. This is the longest amount of sober time I have had in my thirty years of drinking. I have learned many things about myself and alcohol during that time. My days being sober have been very long, in a good way. I have so much more time and energy to do things in my life. I was wasting tremendous amounts of time drinking and planning my drinking. However, I am not dwelling on the past because I cannot change it. Although, it was a necessary phase in life to get me where I am today.

I have learned that I don't need a drink to celebrate, feel sorry for myself or for any other event. My drinking was a habit formed wherein I would drink for any occasion or no occasion at all.

Good luck.
Old 07-18-2018, 12:35 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by mcconnth2017 View Post
I have 48 days sober today. This is the longest amount of sober time I have had in my thirty years of drinking. I have learned many things about myself and alcohol during that time. My days being sober have been very long, in a good way. I have so much more time and energy to do things in my life. I was wasting tremendous amounts of time drinking and planning my drinking. However, I am not dwelling on the past because I cannot change it. Although, it was a necessary phase in life to get me where I am today.

I have learned that I don't need a drink to celebrate, feel sorry for myself or for any other event. My drinking was a habit formed wherein I would drink for any occasion or no occasion at all.

Good luck.
I agree that it was a necessary phase to get to where we are today. Congrats to you on 48 days!
Old 07-18-2018, 05:55 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

awesome post atlast

D
Old 07-18-2018, 06:01 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

Atlast, it's good to see that you are finding positive changes in early recovery.
Old 07-19-2018, 03:47 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

This is a very encouraging thread. Well done Atlast.

I need to hear this. I'm only on day 2, although it's day 6 of not getting up and having 2 or 3 vodka and orange just to ease some pain and face the day.

And one thing I've already discovered about that is that I'm not reaching for my prescribed Oxycodone as an automatic afterthought. I'm truly assessing my level of pain and taking a conscious decision as to how to treat it. This morning I think I may be able to get by so far.

Some days I would have to judge whether I was going to be sick before I take the drink and drugs. After all I didn't want to "waste" them. What a moron.

Good luck with your journey Atlast. I've already drawn strength from your story and the many others here.
Old 07-19-2018, 03:53 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Great post thanks, I needed to hear that right now