SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   How much damage have I done? (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/430181-how-much-damage-have-i-done.html)

DJ1986 07-18-2018 09:24 AM

How much damage have I done?

Hi everyone,

I’m in to my fourth day of not drinking and feeling fairly positive. Would of course love a drink tonight but won’t be having one.

Since stopping, I’ve become increasingly worried (I’d say paranoid, but that would suggest it’s not real) about the damage I have already done. I am planning on making a GP appointment after a few weeks of not drinking but I was hoping you guys might have some insight in the meantime?

I’ve been drinking too much for years, but particularly for the last 5/6 years where I’ve been drinking everyday and I’m really concerned about what permanent damage I’ve done to my liver.

In the last couple of days I’ve been through old bank statements etc and have pieced together how much I’ve been drinking over the past 15 years, which I’ve included below.

I know you’re not medical professionals but would be grateful for any insights you could provide in terms of the potential damage I have done? Please be honest with me.

Thanks so much in advance for any help you can give.

DJ.

——————————-

2 years - age 17 to 19
- Drank on average 1 day a week
- Average 5/6 beer cans per drinking day

4 years - age 19 to 23
- Drank on average 5 days a week
- Average 5 shots of spirits and 5/6 beer cans per drinking day

2 years - age 23 to 25
- Drank on average 3 days a week
- Average 4 beer cans per drinking day

2 years - age 25 to 27
- Drank on average 4 days a week
- Average 4 beer cans and 1 shot of spirit per drinking day

1 year - age 27 to 28
- Drank on average 5 days a week
- Average 5 beer cans and 1 shot of spirit per drinking day

4 years - age 28 to 32
- Drank every day
- Average 4 beer cans and 2 shots of spirit per drinking day

Last 6 months - age 32
- Drank every day
- Average 5 beer cans and 3 shots of spirits per drinking day

doggonecarl 07-18-2018 09:39 AM

I understand your concern and the sympathize with the anxiety that it is causing you. But how can anyone on a online forum determine the damage that your drinking has caused you. It would be unfair, even foolhardy. And if I just gave you my own experience, it might worsen your anxiety.

Focus on quitting and staying quit, and when you see your doctor, be honest about your drinking and your concerns.

Good luck and welcome.

VigilanceNow 07-18-2018 10:08 AM

Hi DJ, I'd have to say I agree with Doggoncarl. Even with all the information you've provided regarding your drinking habits, no one on here should venture a guess as to the damage it's done. That is, however, great information to provide to your GP! Good for you for being so thorough. I myself never know how to respond to the question "How much do you typically drink?" I always clam up and struggle to estimate. When you do go to your GP, of course be 100% honest and forthcoming.

In general terms, it's really impossible to guess the sort of damage it may have done to your body. It depends on so many different biological and lifestyle factors that even with all that info, you won't know until you get tests done. The most important thing right now is for you to find a way to stay sober. The body is an amazing healing machine; if you manage to not drink, it is very likely that even if you have done some damage, it will repair itself or at the very least stop any further damage that could be debilitating.

Don't give yourself more anxiety worrying about it until you know for sure!!! :)

MindfulMan 07-18-2018 10:08 AM

Please go see a doctor, have blood work, etc.

If you are reassured that the damage is minimal will you keep drinking?

If not will you stop?

Is drinking causing any other negative consequences in your life other than potential health issues?

The only way you can be sure that you are not causing further damage to your health is to stop.

Also, in withdrawal, heightened anxiety is to be expected. It will abate in time.

DJ1986 07-18-2018 10:24 AM

Thanks everyone. Does snyone know how I can delete the thread?

If I can’t can an admin close it please?

thomas11 07-18-2018 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by DJ1986 (Post 6958103)
Thanks everyone. Does snyone know how I can delete the thread?

If I can’t can an admin close it please?

Typically they don't delete threads here. Its unnecessary, we are a very non judgmental group of people. Most of us had either physical or mental health worries prior to quitting, a trip to the doc is probably a good idea. Stay strong, you can quit drinking.

Anna 07-18-2018 10:34 AM

There is no need to delete the thread. It's not something we would normally do.

I hope that you do talk to your doctor and it's normal to worry about health concerns when you stop drinking.

gettingsmarter 07-18-2018 11:03 AM

Physical damage aside-

Don't forget that if you have gotten to the point in your drinking where you feel you have to drink or depend on alcohol as a crutch for pretty much anything you have already done psychological damage. For me the mental damage was way worse than the damage I did to my body.

DJ1986 07-18-2018 11:05 AM

But I know I’ll keep coming back to check for comments which is not helpful 😞.

dcg 07-18-2018 11:08 AM

Sounds like you need a place to keep checking in, know what I mean?

gettingsmarter 07-18-2018 11:17 AM

4 days is great by the way!

least 07-18-2018 11:21 AM

Stop drinking and get blood tests done so you can assess your condition.

doggonecarl 07-18-2018 01:17 PM

Medical advice we can't give. Recovery advice, other kinds of advice...we'll fall over ourselves to give you that. Why don't you tell us what you are doing for your recovery? How you plan to get sober and stay sober?

Dee74 07-18-2018 05:18 PM

When I quit drinking I was sure I was about to die. Noone could have drink and smoked as much as I did and be ok.

Yet when I did finally see a Dr I was in pretty good shape.

Go see your doctor and take a load off your mind DJ :)

I hope you'll stick around - this is a great place for advice on how to stay sober.

D

newhope01 07-18-2018 05:48 PM

Check in with us and let us know how your doctor visit went. :)

iwilltryagain 07-18-2018 06:02 PM

Hi DJ1986,
First off all, congrats on 4 days...you have taken a move in the right direction.
Second - whatever math you do or numbers you pull from the past, Nothing can be undone. "Let all that go" - See ahead what you can do to better yourself.
Third - To shed light on your analysis - Everyone's body is different, Let's say while you were drinking, you were eating too...whatever Junk food etc. Your liver acts accordingly...The food absorbs some of that alcohol as well....You are seeing only the amount you drank and nothing else...You did eat and drink water and (might have) exercised too, which all discounts the Liver.
Lastly, I would say, our bodies are miracle, they are built to recover the worst conditions. Once you have realized and stopped drinking, it will only get better from here....Do it one day at a time, Keep sober and get into exercising and eating good food. Love yourself, that means you love your body and liver too..
However, make sure to check with doctor and do all the tests and be on top of it. I am sure everything will come out fine. Hope for the positive.
Keep us posted....there are great people here who can advice better than I do...

ElizaD 07-18-2018 06:33 PM

I think it's pretty common to start worrying about the possible damage you may have done when you stop drinking. I know I did. I never allowed myself to really stop and think about it when I was drinking but when I stopped and realized how long (much longer than you by the way) I really freaked out. I was sure I was in kidney failure or had cirrhosis. Only your doctor can say but you really do have age on your side.

DJ1986 07-19-2018 02:37 AM

Thanks very much everyone for your comments. They have helped me to stop obsessing quite so much about the possible damage I’ve already done.

I’ve just moved house and have the paperwork in with my new local doctors surgery. Takes 5 to 7 days to register new patients and then they’ll book me in for a ‘new patient check up’. Will discuss with them then and hope for the best 🤞.

Dee74 07-19-2018 02:57 AM

best wishes DJ :)

D

16YearsDrunk 07-19-2018 03:28 AM

I can not offer any medical advice or opinion aside from my own personal experiences with alcohol. Your drinking looks very similar to my pattern. I'd have a lot of binges in between too.

I worried for a while about damage done. Drinking caused me to have pitting edema and other problems. But as time went on I noticed the problems I used to have were going away.

At the 3rd week my pitting edema was disappearing completely and I started to feel less ill, and more positive. I had to be put on anti depressants on week 2 because mentally I wasn't coping and my anger and rage was causing me to act like the Hulk. No joke.

It's been 75 days for me now and I can say all of my physical issues have resolved. I don't worry about damage done anymore. There's no point. I know that quitting is the best thing I did for my body and the body is a great healer.

Of course if you're worried you can have a full medical and many would advise that.