Notices

Hope to improve

Old 07-18-2018, 03:00 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hope to improve

It was my birthday Tuesday one with a naught on the end. I got very drunk fell over and today have spent nearly all day in bed. Anxiety sweating bad stomach and feeling very deppressed. Why is every major event in life associated with drinking alcohol? The misery of allcohollism I have suffered for twenty years.
What causes it? Why is it so terribly difficult to stop drinking alcohol and to maintain sobriety. I hope things improve.
Old 07-18-2018, 03:03 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I would say things will improve if you stop giving yourself permission to continue to drink.

Yes there will be events at which other people drink. I've been to those, and I don't drink at them. Even at my own birthday.

Just don't pick up that first drink. Go to bed sober. Do it again tomorrow. Pretty soon the days string together.

If you can't do that, I would strongly suggest you talk to your doctor or get to an AA meeting or look into some sort of intensive "quit" program or rehab.

Hope isn't what you need. Action is.
Old 07-18-2018, 03:07 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yes your right thanks for your support.
Old 07-18-2018, 03:12 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Why is every major event in life associated with drinking alcohol?
in my world there is no event associated with drinking alcohol any more.
every event is one to celebrate sober now.

What causes it?
very well could be alcoholism, which is treatable.

Why is it so terribly difficult to stop drinking alcohol and to maintain sobriety
theres a difference between those 2. stopping drinking isnt easy. it isnt something that there is some magical mystical potion that automatically creates rainbows and sparkle fartin unicorns. it takes committment, fighting the obsession, and footwork to change.personally it took about 6 months before i made it a full 24 hours without even thinking of a drink.

maintaining sobriety, though, is rather easy. it was a matter of learning how to live life on lifes terms and worth every second of fight i had to put in to not take the next drink.
Old 07-18-2018, 04:07 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Drinking made me depressed and anxious. Once I got some solid sober time I felt a lot better. Glad you didn't hurt yourself when you fell down.
Old 07-18-2018, 04:18 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi HigherCall

I think Bims right on the money with us giving ourselves permission to drink.
I did that for a long time - I didn't want to miss out (even tho drink was destroying me) and I felt that there was still some mystical point where I could drink as much as I wanted and not have bad things happen - if only I could find it....

I couldn't find it because it doesn't exist.

My life is better in every way now.
I had a 50th last year - didn't drink - still had a great time

why not give it a real go, HC?

D
Old 07-18-2018, 04:29 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by Highercall View Post
It was my birthday Tuesday one with a naught on the end. I got very drunk fell over and today have spent nearly all day in bed. Anxiety sweating bad stomach and feeling very deppressed. Why is every major event in life associated with drinking alcohol? The misery of allcohollism I have suffered for twenty years.
What causes it? Why is it so terribly difficult to stop drinking alcohol and to maintain sobriety. I hope things improve.
Welcome back Highercall. Ever event in your life is associated with drinking because you decide to make it a part of every event. You specifically came here and told us a few days ago that you were going to go out and drink on your birthday, so no surprise there.

Pretty much every event in my life was associated with alcohol too, for the better part of 25 plus years. I also tried to figure out what caused it for many of those years too - but in the end the only thing that saved me was to simply accept that I will never know why -I simply cannot drink alcohol without serious consequences.

You are right that quitting and getting sober is hard, but it gets much easier when it becomes your norm. I would say that I put very little effort into it anymore myself, and while I don't think I can ever just forget that I was that way once.....the vast majority of my day is not associated with alcohol in any shape or fashion.

That's down the road a ways for you though - the first thing you really need to do is make the decision that you want to stop and commit to it. And accept that you cannot drink any amount of alcohol, period. Hope will not achieve that for you - you need to take action yourself. Last week you said that after your birthday blowout you were going to do so - are you ready to follow up with that promise to yourself?