Notices

Feeling worried

Old 07-17-2018, 04:30 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Feeling worried

Hiya, I've made the decision to quit tomorrow. Today I told my employers that I am an alcoholic and that I will be visiting my Doctor tomorrow. However the last time I did this around 10 years ago, he was rubbish - had no idea. Who knows what Doctor I will get tomorrow.

Main thing I am concerned about is withdrawal symptoms. Previous ones have involved night sweats; sweating in general; some shakiness and headaches. But I am drinking far more than I ever did now. If the Doctor tomorrow says tapered detox at home then I know I won't manage. I have to go cold turkey. At the end of the day I'm an alcoholic who can't control her drinking - how am I meant to reduce my intake??

Is there anything the Doctor can prescribe? I'm UK by the way. The likelihood of being referred to a detox centre is slim. I have to do this at home, cold turkey, by myself. Any thoughts/advice would be appreciated - including what to say to the Doctor!!

Thanks
Old 07-17-2018, 06:51 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Good for you for taking such a bold step to get sober, I know you can do it as you sound really motivated.
I went through detox cold turkey many times before I got sober.
Don't mean to scare you, but some bad things can happen.
But you can do it!
I believe there are drugs they can give you to help.

As for the doctor, be brutally honest. Discuss your fears about everything. Don't worry, they've heard it all before.
Wishing I had some words of wisdom, but I'm sending you my beat.
Old 07-17-2018, 08:03 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome! In the US doctors often prescribe a short course of benzos to reduce anxiety and the risk of seizures. I understand that in the UK, doctors don't usually do that, but advise tapering. I hope you can find a way to get sober for good.

I would just tell the doctor that you can't taper cause you can't control your intake. Physical withdrawal only lasts a few days. Ask for meds that can help for the first few days.
Old 07-17-2018, 09:25 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Rosie - welcome
I'm glad you're quitting.

Is there anything the Doctor can prescribe?
Our rules mean we can't give medical advice like what meds to take- everyone's circumstances are different, and your doctor is the best person to know what meds might be suitable for you.

The only thing I can suggest is what the others have - be brutally honest and really let them know how scared you are that you won't be able to taper. I hope they can help you, or at least ease your mind on your concerns

D