Notices

Deeply Depressed

Old 09-25-2018, 01:29 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

(((William))) I have been thinking of you and hoping that you were feeling better. Its hard, with all the things in the world to worry about, not to worry.
Sometimes I consider the creatures of the world, besides human, and how they don't worry, but just stay busy with what they do. I think our brains sometimes take our joy away, by thinking too much on things we cannot change. I know I do that to myself.
A great book, entitled "Worry", bu Edward M. Hallowell, MD has been a help to me. chapter 22 especially.
Someone here at SR suggested it to me, and it literally changed my life. Perhaps if you like to read, you can pick up a copy. It is simply written, but profoundly enlightening, on the results that extreme worry has on our brains.

I am sorry to hear that your wife worries so about cancer. she has been doing that for a long while. Has she spoken to anyone about her fears?

wishing you well, and sending you a hug. Glad you have your faithful dog to make you smile.
chicory
Old 09-25-2018, 02:59 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Thanks Chicory. I found the book and have bought a paperback copy for only $13! Thanks so much for your suggestion. In a way it's a little selfish for me to worry since God has given me so much. We are indeed in God's hands. We must trust him. (Actually I do not believe God has any gender). It is better to greet each day with thankfulness: "This is the day which the Lord hath made. Let us be joyful and thankful in it!"
All of you have helped my depression, Thank you!

Bill
Old 09-25-2018, 03:18 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

It's always good to hear back from folks whether
it be everyday, a few days, weeks, months. Sharing
with us and letting us know how things are going
in life and recovery.

The one thing we dont do over here in our home
is watch tv news. We have no idea what's happening
in town. Also, we dont care for politics and all the
negative cr@p going on in the world. That in itself
is depressing.

The less negative news I know the healthier
and happier I, we are in life and recovery.

Focus on happy, simpler things in life and
turn the tv, computer, phone news off.

I mean, way back in the day, the time I
was born and you too, there wasn't all
this technology they have today. So many
glued to their devices and forget to enjoy
nature and the beauty that surrounds us.

I love simple, easy, less stress and the less
of the worlds difficulties I know the better I
am mentally, physically, emotionally and
stronger in faith.

You can too.
Old 09-25-2018, 03:28 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yes, Bill, focus on your dogs and the simple things in life. The seasons are changing and before long, the trees will have magnificent colour. I'm sorry you're feeling down and I hope you can get past this.
Old 09-25-2018, 04:59 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Bill, I’m so sorry about your health issues and depression. I wish I could sit with ya and have a cup of tea and listen to your life stories. And pet some dogs. I sure hope you feel better soon.
Old 09-26-2018, 12:04 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Bill, I am so sorry to hear your depression is not letting up. I am glad to see you checking in here though.

I think it is great you have ordered the book Chicory suggested, I know reading gives you great pleasure.

You have mentioned the state of the world and politics a number of times. That is really a legitimate concern of so many people right now. My mother has been incredibly stresses and depressed over things and has had to seek out professional help to deal with it.
One idea might be volunteering with a political organisation that speaks to the change you wish to see. The elections are coming up. Could you volunteer to make phone calls or even go door to door to spread information about a candidate you like? Or if you prefer not to get too involved with one candidate or the other, you could do something along the lines of helping people register to vote. If you are still driving there are often people who need rides to polling places or you could work a shift on voting day, checking people's ID's and helping with any questions they might have. This might be a good way to fight the good fight and feel less helpless.
You are always in my prayer Bill.
Old 09-26-2018, 01:30 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

The world seems to have gone mad but there will always be little pockets of beauty. I hope you can find some of them. May you be feel a bit better soon!
Old 09-26-2018, 02:39 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
nmd

Giving my pup belly rubs always helps me

Last edited by nmd; 10-02-2023 at 10:41 AM.
Old 09-26-2018, 05:49 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Meraviglioso View Post
Bill, I am so sorry to hear your depression is not letting up. I am glad to see you checking in here though.

I think it is great you have ordered the book Chicory suggested, I know reading gives you great pleasure.

You have mentioned the state of the world and politics a number of times. That is really a legitimate concern of so many people right now. My mother has been incredibly stresses and depressed over things and has had to seek out professional help to deal with it.
One idea might be volunteering with a political organisation that speaks to the change you wish to see. The elections are coming up. Could you volunteer to make phone calls or even go door to door to spread information about a candidate you like? Or if you prefer not to get too involved with one candidate or the other, you could do something along the lines of helping people register to vote. If you are still driving there are often people who need rides to polling places or you could work a shift on voting day, checking people's ID's and helping with any questions they might have. This might be a good way to fight the good fight and feel less helpless.
You are always in my prayer Bill.
That's splendid advice, Mera! Problem with getting out the vote in Massachusetts is that nearly everyone in the state votes Democratic. The issue which is really of concern here is the recent Massachusetts legalization of "recreational marijuana". Just about all of the doctors say it's a gateway drug. It's largely the substance abusers who say it's not. And they ignore the fact that marijuana these days is much stronger than it used to be. We've got a real substance abuse epidemic here only eight or ten miles from where we live. Very dangerous to drive at night or on weekends. People get killed quite often. Driving 20 miles an hour over the speed limit, crossing yellow lines. Tailgating. A bunch of hotshots en route to death and the death of others.
Every good wish to you, Mera! I think of you often!

Bill
Old 09-26-2018, 05:51 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by nmd View Post
Giving my pup belly rubs always helps me
Dog therapy is by far the best !
Old 09-26-2018, 04:24 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope today finds you feeling better Bill

There's so much to be sad about these days, but I try to focus on the good things in the world

D
Old 09-27-2018, 12:59 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Thinking of you today, Bill, and hoping you feel better.
Old 09-27-2018, 01:46 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by wpainterw View Post
That's splendid advice, Mera! Problem with getting out the vote in Massachusetts is that nearly everyone in the state votes Democratic. The issue which is really of concern here is the recent Massachusetts legalization of "recreational marijuana". Just about all of the doctors say it's a gateway drug. It's largely the substance abusers who say it's not. And they ignore the fact that marijuana these days is much stronger than it used to be. We've got a real substance abuse epidemic here only eight or ten miles from where we live. Very dangerous to drive at night or on weekends. People get killed quite often. Driving 20 miles an hour over the speed limit, crossing yellow lines. Tailgating. A bunch of hotshots en route to death and the death of others.
Every good wish to you, Mera! I think of you often!

Bill
Could you do something with the recreational marijuana law? If you were willing to speak publicly about your alcohol addition and recovery it could be very powerful and important.

Another idea to get up and out would be to see if there are any programs at your local hospital that include "pet therapy" If your Boswell is well behaved, you could take him to visit sick children (or adults) in the hospital. It has proven to help in wonderful ways.
Another idea, I saw this online, is volunteering as a stand-in grandfather for babies born pre-maturely. Human contact is so important for developing babies. Often premature babies, or those sick in other ways, must stay in the hospital for many months and the families cannot be there 24/7 if they work, have other kids to take care of, etc. Stand-in grandparents come in and just sit in a nice comfy chair and hold the babies, sing to them, talk to them, anything really. It looks very sweet and comforting for all involved.
Old 09-27-2018, 08:16 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I hope today finds you feeling better Bill

There's so much to be sad about these days, but I try to focus on the good things in the world

D
Feeling much better thanks.Just looking at your Groucho Marx thing with the cigar and wobbly eyebrows is a real hoot.

Bill
Old 09-27-2018, 04:28 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  
Administrator

Pleased to help Bill

D
Old 09-27-2018, 06:57 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by chicory View Post
(((William))) I have been thinking of you and hoping that you were feeling better. Its hard, with all the things in the world to worry about, not to worry.
Sometimes I consider the creatures of the world, besides human, and how they don't worry, but just stay busy with what they do. I think our brains sometimes take our joy away, by thinking too much on things we cannot change. I know I do that to myself.
A great book, entitled "Worry", bu Edward M. Hallowell, MD has been a help to me. chapter 22 especially.
Someone here at SR suggested it to me, and it literally changed my life. Perhaps if you like to read, you can pick up a copy. It is simply written, but profoundly enlightening, on the results that extreme worry has on ou brains.
I am sorry to hear that your wife worries so about cancer. she has been doing that for a long while. Has she spoken to anyone about her fears? wishing you well, and sending you a hug. Glad you have your faithful dog to make you smile.
chicory
Thanks so much, Chicory! The book arrived today and I have begun to read the first part. What impressed me is what I have suspected all along and have expressed in numerous posts and threads on SR. People, like the animals, seem to have brains hard wired to live collectively. Together, in packs. Ever since the cave man/woman days. So the best way to recover from alcoholism and substance abuse is to get others to help, getting them on the rope as if climbing a mountain. Whether it's AA or some other plan. There are many paths up the mountain of recovery. Being with others will help with relapses, which, unfortunately, are common.
Thanks again, so much! It will be a big help to me and hopefully to others.

Bill
Old 09-29-2018, 01:56 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

I should check into that book as well. Just wanted to relay a quote I read somewhere, can't remember who it is, but although it's simple it's kind of inspirational to me.

"Today will be a good day if I let it."
Old 09-29-2018, 10:06 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Hi Bill! Sending positive vibes from London to you and to your wife. Some recent developments are unnerving here too but in the positive column there are good things happening so it's not all doom and gloom.

Anyway 30 years of sobriety is a fantastic achievement, something to feel very positive about.
Old 09-29-2018, 01:10 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Bill, I am heartened to hear you are a little more cheered.
You are very cherished here.
I like Mera's idea of volunteering too. Do you feel you have enough face to face support?
SR is SO wonderful but there is so much value in having someone sitting with you, talking, listening and understanding. I would also love to sit and have a cup of tea with you I think you are an amazing person.
It is ok to feel depressed with things that are going on in your life and in the world. Sometimes we fight those feelings. But it's ok to accept that they are there and keep striving towards the sunlight. Because you deserve some light my friend.
Old 10-01-2018, 05:54 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Such wonderful Emails from you all! Thanks so very, very much! I am feeling much better now, less depressed. Getting enormous help and reinforcement from Doc Hallowell's Book, "Worry" Amazing piece of work.Ties in a bit, but does not mention, last year's September. Nat. Geographic main article ("Addiction"), available on on the internet.

Fondly and thanks!

Bill.