Notices

Almost drank tonight- hypoglycemia

Old 07-16-2018, 09:41 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Almost drank tonight- hypoglycemia

coming up on 8 months and I almost through it all away tonight. I don't know if this is all part of sobriety or if i have damaged my body and mind beyond repair or what. But honestly, at this point I am sick of even fu**ing talking about it. My wife, my mom, my friends, f*ck no one i can talk to seems to understand how i feel. I can do without drinking and partying, i get it. Do i still sometimes miss not being able to pound beers and go to a concert, of course i do. Do i know and understand that if i do that it will lead to a path that always ends it bull**it? Of course i do! The bummer here is I am doing almost everything in my power to heal myself, both, mentally and physically and I just feel like straight garbage. Its getting to a point, as it did tonight, where i know the one thing that makes me feel better is beer and it just makes me sad because i know i am not going to drink, but i know the medicine to take, kind of vibe.

Its my anxiety! Not like I am having a heart attack or i don't want to drive on the freeway anxiety. I just get crazy f**king nervous talking to people is the only way i can explain it. And to the best of my knowledge no one can tell I am having these feelings while I talk to them, its just all internal. Its like i will have to go meet a client or a friend and i am already nervous before i show up. And these are not things i should be nervous about and cannot be nervous about, especially in my profession. I will kind of get dizzy and feel like i am talking to fast and if i ask someone who knows me that is there if i seemed off they say no. As i am sure some of you can relate to, its just beyond deflating to be sober and "doing the right thing" and still feel like ****. I used to feel like this throughout the day in my drinking days and boom, have some beers and i am right as rain, hence the viscous cycle. These feelings started while i was drinking probably 7 years ago or so and I remember the day clearly feeling awkward around one of my closest friends. I never had these anxiety/nervous feelings prior.

Now that i got all that off my chest and i feel like you kind of maybe (hopefully) get where my head is at. Here is my hypothesis: Hyper/hypoglycemia. I am not sure which one but hear me out. All of this seems to be directly correlated to my diet. There was a span during my last stint of sobriety where i ate the healthiest i have ever ate in my life and I distinctly remember telling my mother, i have absolutely zero anxiety. From what i have read, 98% of alcoholics suffer from either hypo or hyperglycemia and if you look at the symptoms of both they mirror my feelings. I got my blood work done and everything was mildly elevated and i was insulin resistant, doc said if i don't make changes i am staring at type 2 diabetes, that was 5 months ago. For instance, if i go for a surf, everyone i am with talks about how good they feel afterwards and i feel dizzy as fu** and out of it for an hour or so. I have read sugar levels crashing and my pancreas being trained to dump insulin to combat the booze is bottoming out my glucose.

EXTREMELY long story short. Does anyone out there have experience with this? I literally would rather walk a mile over glass barefoot than drink again. My life even with these ****** episodes absolutely trumps my drinking days. I have zero plan on ever going back to the bottle but now since i figured out the drinking part of it. I need to figure out the health part of it i guess. Any feedback is beyond appreciated. Much love

James
Old 07-16-2018, 11:48 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
ours de petit cerveau

hi James,

sorry you're having a rough time of it. there is an interaction between stress hormones, such as adrenaline, & blood sugar. at times of stress, in preparation for "fight or flight", the body can dump glucose into the bloodstream as fuel for the muscles. if you're under- or over-regulating this it may have some effect, but I wouldn't like to say for sure.

I would recommend that you have a chat with your doctor & tell them what you've told us. your anxiety & low mood may have a blood-sugar element to it, & even if not, then your doctor should be able to assist.

good luck, hope you're able to get some help with it
Old 07-17-2018, 12:04 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I have had a similiar experience. What worked for me was a high fibre diet. Lots of veg, pulses, oats, fruit, yoghurt etc. Also, eating in a really organised way. Everything planned and set up for the days and week ahead. I havent cut any food groups out but have kept it positive and upbeat. My body thrives on this and it has had a strong effect on my mood. I also follow the 16.8 pattern of eating, which for me means I eat from 13.00hrs to 21.00hrs. Believed to be very beneficial to insulin levels. I hope it is OK to post my experience.
Old 07-17-2018, 01:18 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

Have you done the 6 hour glucose tolerance test?

What changes does the doc want you to make? Diet and exercise?

Have you ever talked to a therapist or psychiatrist about social anxiety?
Old 07-17-2018, 05:44 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Yes! You致e described me to a tee. And sometimes after I eat a big meal, I値l get overwhelmingly exhaused. A physical therapist told me that my body could be over responding by dumping too much insulin in response.

I知 going to see my doc next week, but I think I知 going to ask him to refer me to a nutritionist. These complicated cases of hypo/hyperglycemia are sometimes too much for primary care doctors to dissect.
Old 07-17-2018, 05:45 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I also get terrible drinking cravings when my blood sugar is low, I think. I can only speculate because I don稚 have a glucose monitor, but when I eat something, the cravings go away.
Old 07-17-2018, 05:52 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I've gone through the same.

I find that regular meals with good nutrition is the answer. There is a reason most places have three meals or two meals and a snack. Anxiety is ramped up when hungry - to strongly encourage me to find food!

If I eat too much, I want to nap - and if I eat too little I'm edgy.

It's a balance. If I eat to my calorie and nutrition needs daily and get a little exercise things work as designed. It's a long game.
Old 07-17-2018, 06:30 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I'm hypoglycemic. If I run low I get all sweaty and dizzy and shaky. I need sugar or food immediately. I avoid getting that way by eating 4 times per day spread out evenly.
Old 07-17-2018, 06:59 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

James, I hear you on the eating healthier. Alcohol abuse had lead me to some pre-diabetic issues so it was my own wake up call.

I have the same problem (with anxiety, low energy and mental focus) and find if I leave the junk food or snacks/carbs alone then everything improves for me. I keep a Costco bag of celery at all times in my fridge and a go-to quick snack in between meals or when I'm feeling light headed is to spread some (Adams) peanut butter in a stalk. I will eat one like that and then about three plain stalks. The fiber is filling and the peanut butter will help your blood sugar.

I used to make stir fry vegges and chicken over rice, but now I skip the rice and add more broccoli and zucchini, carrots, celery. It's quick and so good. The rice seemed to make my glycemic spike. For my breakfast I've gone to oatmeal with fresh blue or raspberries added. If I eat right I'm humming along and focused in my day. If I don't, I can hardly read the print on a page or understand a complex business form.

I hear in your post that you felt good when you ate good. I think nutrition is key to our health and certainly combats the poison in alcohol. After I eat a good meal like my home cooked stir fry, I found I had absolutely NO craving for a drink.

Good luck to you in finding your groove
Old 07-17-2018, 07:43 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

James, glad you shared. I will chime in about the anxiety part... totally get it. I just read an article- will try to find link but it was a piece on themighty.com and it described just the kind of symptoms you talk about. Others don't know we are struggling with that kind of stuff, most of the time. One of my issues is voice mail. I cannot stand the notification light but usually can't listen to a msg...leave it there till I delete it.

My psych has helped with tools and a drug to take as needed, and my program (AA) has also provided tools. Breathing exercises can help- my Apple Watch has an alert to remind me to stop and just breahe for one minute.

My body took a good while to even out nutritionally and really in every way- time takes time as people told me to my early annoyanc!

Taking care of our physical and mental health is so important in recovery. Working a recovery plan is critical for me.
Old 07-17-2018, 07:49 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I can't answer your question but what I can say is that I felt exactly the same way at 8 months. I was still having a really hard time with things.

That said, around the year mark things did actually start to change fast. At 13 months I started feeling good, it was like a breath of fresh air washed over me.

Hang in there, you are through the worst of it!
Old 07-17-2018, 07:56 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi Cobber,
Regarding feeling dizzy after surfing: I would definitely eat a snack after intense workouts. A good one is apple slices with peanut butter spread on them. Chocolate Milk is good as well.
I always try to pair carbs with a protein. And I try to eat high fiber foods.
Good luck.
sb
Old 07-17-2018, 11:20 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

When you mentioned feeling like you're talking too fast, anxiety, etc... It describes exactly how I feel sometimes and I'm closing on five months. It almost feels like I have bumped some blow without drinking. I hope it's paws and will pass.
Old 07-17-2018, 11:34 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

I have hypoglycaemia for as long as I can remember. I know now that it contributed to my drinking because I crave sugar at times and alcohol sure supplied that. It was a red-flag in my life that I didn't know about at the time.

I manage hypoglycaemia by eating small, frequent meals. I always carry some food with me in case I feel light-headed when I am out. Being aware is a big part of it. Talk to your dr or a dietician and get some ideas for your diet. I still have to deal with anxiety, though.
Old 07-18-2018, 03:34 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Cobber3 I understand how you feel.

I got a case of the F*$k its last night. I work as a floater with a full time status. I have been trying to get a normal shift for over a year. Every time a shift comes available, I bid on it but someone higher in seniority also signs it and gets it.
I was like, "Why do I even bother??"

Then my car is being stupid. Got 2 new tires which we put on the rear end and I feel like my car is hydroplaning not to mention the ABS is coming on and off for no reason. "Life happening"

I wanted to say F it all I am getting drunk....No its not gonna happen this time of my sobriety. My glucose was a little high but I contribute it to the stress I was feeling. I gotta watch this too. Yay me!

I feel better today. Husband is taking in my car and I get to drive his big truck. Whoot woo!

Hang in there Cobber3 . We are here to support each other with our stages of life in sobriety as you know.

Thank for your post.
Old 07-18-2018, 03:46 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I totally get it! I have crazy anxiety / panic attacks when...get this...I have to introduce myself in a round-robin intro at work. I知 a freaking VP and saying my name and what I do causes me to shake and my heart to race a million miles an hour.

For me, and I知 not advocating anything here, I had a breakthrough when my doc prescribed a beta blocker for high blood pressure. The body can be truly strange
Old 07-18-2018, 06:55 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I'm an introvert and I have always worked in jobs that would have been better suited for extroverts. Sometimes for no reason I would just have a full on panic attack when talking to a client or a group of people. It made me feel really ashamed and embarrassed but it's not something I really had control over. I think for me the introversion and feelings of inadequacy are what led me to drinking in the first place. This may not be the answer for you but anxiety medication has made a huge difference for me. I'm still an introvert but professionally I can manage much better.
Old 07-18-2018, 11:03 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

Originally Posted by Banjoist View Post
For me, and I知 not advocating anything here, I had a breakthrough when my doc prescribed a beta blocker for high blood pressure. The body can be truly strange
Actors use beta blockers for stage fright. They are known to help quell the nerves.

The most common fear on the planet is speaking in public.

Originally Posted by ElizaD View Post
I'm an introvert and I have always worked in jobs that would have been better suited for extroverts. Sometimes for no reason I would just have a full on panic attack when talking to a client or a group of people. It made me feel really ashamed and embarrassed but it's not something I really had control over. I think for me the introversion and feelings of inadequacy are what led me to drinking in the first place. This may not be the answer for you but anxiety medication has made a huge difference for me. I'm still an introvert but professionally I can manage much better.
I had the reverse problem. An extrovert in a job suited for introverts.

Hopefully the new sales gig will suit me better.
Old 07-25-2018, 03:43 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Thank you guys!!!
Old 07-25-2018, 03:44 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Justin61571 View Post
When you mentioned feeling like you're talking too fast, anxiety, etc... It describes exactly how I feel sometimes and I'm closing on five months. It almost feels like I have bumped some blow without drinking. I hope it's paws and will pass.
It does get better amigo. From 5 months to 8 months i can feel a big difference. Stick with it.