SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Symptoms? (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/430119-symptoms.html)

Strug 07-16-2018 12:18 PM

Symptoms?

Hi. I used to drink too much, about 20 years ago, whilst heavily excercising, working hard and basically burning both ends of the candle in hindsight. After having a panic attack in an airport after a two week holiday, I seemed to ‘become seriously intolerant’ to alcohol and caffeine.
As a result I didn’t drink either for the next 15 or so years.
I still don’t drink caffeine but now have the ‘odd drink’ that I have remained totally in control of for the the past few years with limited side effects. However, recently I seem to be encountering the same symptoms as I remember oh so well from 20 years ago - general ill feeling, serious anxiety, nauseous etc - possibly after drinking? This said, I have been under serious pressure at work and don’t know whether it’s the alcohol or work causing things. Has anyone had similar experience?

DreamCatcher17 07-16-2018 12:21 PM

Welcome!

Have you tried removing alcohol all together again to see if those same feelings come back? I would give that a try if not :)

DontRemember 07-16-2018 12:24 PM

**This is not medical advice** The couple times I've had 'major pannic attacks' came after 2-3days of drinking and also having work/life related stress that was caused by my drinking. The "odd drink" is only one or is the amount increasing?

least 07-16-2018 12:24 PM

Stop drinking and see if the symptoms go away. :)

MindfulMan 07-16-2018 01:06 PM

Hard to say.

I'm with those above in the "stop drinking and see what happens" camp.

anadenanthera 07-16-2018 01:19 PM

It's definitely a possibility:

Stage 1 [of alcohol withdrawal]: Anxiety, insomnia, nausea, and abdominal pain characterize this stage, which begins 8 hours after the last drink.
That comes from the American Addiction Centers website. I'm not authroized to post the url.

Dee74 07-16-2018 09:38 PM

Hi Strug - welcome :)

good advice here - if you can take it or leave it why not leave it for a while and see how the panic attacks go?

D

Strug 07-17-2018 02:08 AM

Originally Posted by DontRemember (Post 6956322)
**This is not medical advice** The couple times I've had 'major pannic attacks' came after 2-3days of drinking and also having work/life related stress that was caused by my drinking. The "odd drink" is only one or is the amount increasing?

Hi. No, amount hasn’t increased. Probably 1-2 ciders or shandies. I HAVE drunk a few more than this on occasion over the past 3-4 years with no sides effects so it seems strange to be the recent cause when only having maybe 1-2, maybe fortnightly depending in circumstances. Have already conceded to taking the majority’s advice and going to give it a miss for a while. As always though, I’m trying to cut out stress at work and therefore if symptoms subside, you don’t know which one worked! 😎
Thanks for your comments.

MyLittleHorsie 07-17-2018 03:07 AM

For me, when my anxiety has been more difficult to control, 100 percent it was booze. There is a phenomenon known as kindling, lots of great info on the site about it. Basically, no matter how little we drink, no matter how long we have been away from it, the effects of alcohol always get worse.

FreeOwl 07-17-2018 03:52 AM

My whole life has been generally better since choosing sobriety.

I find it has been positive for my mind, body, soul.... allows me to focus on presence and awareness and take the needed steps to align my life as things get bumpy - instead of turn to alcohol for illusory ‘relief’.

What you describe seems consistent with some of my own experience and others’ I’ve been close to.... eventually sobriety was a happier life choice.

leagerly 07-17-2018 04:02 AM

I've had periods of my life where alcohol just literally made me sick - to the point where if I had even one or two, I would be vomiting into the next day. I gave up drinking for a lot of reasons, but I can't forget that a huge part of that is my health and physical well-being. I had a moment a few weeks back where I thought I could go back and "moderate," and even after only a couple, not only did I feel emotionally awful and disappointed in myself, I was sick in bed for like...two or three days. I say throw the whole thing in the trash.

Strug 07-18-2018 09:48 AM

Strange.. felt OK Mon/Tues at work and after at gym/home. Today feel rough and headache all day. Had half a small glass of wine last Fri mixed with lemonade. Could this amount really cause so many (delayed!) symptoms 5 days later??!!

Strug 07-18-2018 09:49 AM

Now at gym after work and headache and chest pains have subsided..?

lessgravity 07-18-2018 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by Strug (Post 6958070)
Strange.. felt OK Mon/Tues at work and after at gym/home. Today feel rough and headache all day. Had half a small glass of wine last Fri mixed with lemonade. Could this amount really cause so many (delayed!) symptoms 5 days later??!!

Wine mixed with lemonade??

Better question = why are you drinking at all?

MLD51 07-18-2018 10:36 AM

I'd go to a doctor to find out if there's something else going on. Just my opinion, but the amount of alcohol you say you are currently drinking doesn't seem like enough to cause these symptoms. That having been said, why drink at all if you are worried it's causing these things? Seriously - go to your doctor.