Notices

Support needed please

Old 07-16-2018, 05:51 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Support needed please

Hi
I am an alcoholic. My life has spiraled out of control and I feel in a deep black hole. I have made a commitment today that on Wednesday I am going to visit my Doctor and ask for support. I probably won't get into any services for a while and admission to rehab isn't used that often here. So I'll be going it alone. I am going to ask for a sick note to get some time off work as my job is quite stressful and is contributing to my depression and alcoholism. I am also going to tell my employer tomorrow.

I know the withdrawal well as I've been through it before and I'm prepared for it. What I want to ask is if there are any resources anyone can point me to to help me with my emotional wellbeing. I want to set up some sort of routine each day - maybe have a walk, concentrate on my mental health, go to a meeting. If I lay out what I plan to do then that will assist me. But every time I google recovery I just get the physical stuff. Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks
Old 07-16-2018, 06:08 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I think you have a handle on what's coming, so I'll link you this thread:

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...at-we-did.html (Recovery Programs & What to Expect (What We Did))

I did a lot of reading in early days to sort out my emotional and spiritual health. Google, books, this site, the Bible, the Big Book of Alcoholics Anonymous. I had a couple sticky notes posted around my house of affirmations, Bible verses, and ideas. "Do only what is good for you."

Welcome to the site! Keep reading, keep telling us your story. It helped me a lot.
Old 07-16-2018, 06:58 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Welcome to SR Rosie, and I 'd agree with Bimini that it sounds like you have a pretty good idea of what is in store, and also what needs to be done. I firmly believe that a daily regimen/routine/plan of some kind to address our addiction is very helpful, especially at first. And I also feel it's important for us to address any underlying issues we may have tried to avoid with alcohol in the first place. First things first though, and I'm glad to hear you are seeing a doctor as well to get some advice.

Stick around here on SR, you'll find that the site itself can be a great source of support and information. You may also want to check out the newcomers daily/weekly/class threads too - sometimes it can help to add additional accountability by belonging to a regular group that posts and reads together.
Old 07-16-2018, 06:59 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Rosie123 View Post
Hi
I am an alcoholic. My life has spiraled out of control and I feel in a deep black hole. I have made a commitment today that on Wednesday I am going to visit my Doctor and ask for support. I probably won't get into any services for a while and admission to rehab isn't used that often here. So I'll be going it alone. I am going to ask for a sick note to get some time off work as my job is quite stressful and is contributing to my depression and alcoholism. I am also going to tell my employer tomorrow.

I know the withdrawal well as I've been through it before and I'm prepared for it. What I want to ask is if there are any resources anyone can point me to to help me with my emotional wellbeing. I want to set up some sort of routine each day - maybe have a walk, concentrate on my mental health, go to a meeting. If I lay out what I plan to do then that will assist me. But every time I google recovery I just get the physical stuff. Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks
Old 07-16-2018, 07:00 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Friendly Folk

You are never alone here at SR. Glad that you found us and that you are asking for help. Many of us have come here feeling exactly how you are feeling right now. We have alot to offer you with our support, unconditional love and understanding. So smile and take a deep breath. You are on the road to recovery and everyday is a new day to start living a better way! This is a great place to be whenever you need a friend. WELCOME, ROSIE!
Old 07-16-2018, 07:37 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Welcome and congratulations on your decision to take back your life!!
Old 07-16-2018, 08:06 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. I hope our support and wisdom can help you get sober for good.