Notices

GAWD I hate summer

Old 07-16-2018, 03:21 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

I grew up in the midwest where I too wanted to slit my wrists by the end of each winter.. Now I've traded one extreme for another and I live in a desert. Although I did manage to find a small town right outside the city where it's near a river and there's at least grass and trees. Still a million degrees though. I'm very white and get tan literally just from walking to and from my car in the summer, lol.

I'm thinking a happy medium will be necessary at some point. Maybe the Pacific Northwest. For now though.. these are the choices I've made so I'm just doing my best to deal with the scorching heat and predominantly brown landscape.
Old 07-16-2018, 05:37 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

"Isn't the desert beautiful?"

"Yeah, well, maybe when it's finished."

NOT a desert person, I'm an ocean person!

OMFG though, Ann Arbor Michigan, winter of 81-82. Never went above zero for the entire month of February. Three huge blizzards the last week of March so heavy that they had to pile it up in parking lots with bulldozers and it didn't melt until June.
Old 07-16-2018, 06:00 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

PNW here......struggling with super hi 80's/lo 90's......it doesn't last long but since most of us don't HAVE a/d in our homes, it's a shared AWFUL for a good few days. 6pm and we don't dare open a door or window, 85 outside right now. gets a little bit claustrophobic.....i'd like some air for $100, Alex!!!
Old 07-16-2018, 07:13 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

I'm in the Land of Enchantment (aka the land of entrapment). I kind of feel bad for complaining cause I've also lived in Vegas and that was much, much worse. I'm drawn to warmer climates but I'm an ocean person too at heart.
Old 07-17-2018, 12:10 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MindfulMan View Post
I'm very fortunate to live in LA and NOT in one of the Valleys, where it's 10+ degrees hotter. We do get a few days of hot, last week VERY hot...it was 108 at my house. But that's rare, not even a yearly occurrence. I have AC, but try not to use it most days. It's also not all that humid. Another thing about SoCal that makes summer a bit easier is that it's semidesert, so it cools WAY down at night. I grew up on the East Coast and I remember the hot summer nights. I lived at the beach in Venice for 15 years without air and rarely wished for it.

I have pretty bad classic SAD, even getting depressed here in SoCal in the winter and, when I lived at the beach, during "May Gray" and "June Gloom." Most of the time SoCal is perfect for me. When I lived in Michigan, I wanted to slit my wrists by March every year. I LOATHE winter. I can visit it for a few days....Thanksgiving in Alaska or Christmas in Philly, but always glad to be back to California.

I have a friend who has "reverse SAD." She hates heat and the long days, she never liked California and is ecstatic to be back on the East coast and treasures the snow, cold and short days of winter. She gets anxious and depressed in the summer. About 10% of SAD cases are like this, more are short-day depressive.

Give me summer anytime.
I was born in LA but lived most of my life (39 years) in the Bay Area. Yeah its pretty darned nice....and crowded....and expensive. So there's that! I went to UCSB and I have to say, that is the nicest weather of anywhere I have ever lived. Fabulous! Except I do like my winters....well actually Hawaii wasn't bad either. I love that humid weather....as long as there is the ocean and the trade winds. I remember adjusting so much to the weather that I would literally be cold when it was 80. haha. My major complaint about Idaho is the dry air. That part sucks. Oh and the fact that it has no diversity and is just a little, ehem, conservative. But that's changing...albeit slowly.

Yeah SAD is really rough for sure. And I definitely have reverse SAD. But its more anxiety than depression....although the exhaustion of dealing with anxiety can cause depression, if that makes any sense. I am totally capable of handling it as long as I take really good care of myself....and of course, absolutely no drinking.

You sound like you are living in the perfect place for you! That is great!
Old 07-17-2018, 12:14 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Frickaflip233 View Post
I was born in LA but lived most of my life (39 years) in the Bay Area. Yeah its pretty darned nice....and crowded....and expensive. So there's that! I went to UCSB and I have to say, that is the nicest weather of anywhere I have ever lived. Fabulous! Except I do like my winters....well actually Hawaii wasn't bad either. I love that humid weather....as long as there is the ocean and the trade winds. I remember adjusting so much to the weather that I would literally be cold when it was 80. haha. My major complaint about Idaho is the dry air. That part sucks. Oh and the fact that it has no diversity and is just a little, ehem, conservative. But that's changing...albeit slowly.

Yeah SAD is really rough for sure. And I definitely have reverse SAD. But its more anxiety than depression....although the exhaustion of dealing with anxiety can cause depression, if that makes any sense. I am totally capable of handling it as long as I take really good care of myself....and of course, absolutely no drinking.

You sound like you are living in the perfect place for you! That is great!
I was just looking at places for rent in HI the other day. Kind of fantasizing about moving over there for 6-12mo like an 'extended vacation' type thing. Just to try it out. I love SoCal too,but living the island life for a bit sounds very tempting.
Old 07-17-2018, 12:18 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Exactly this!

I go to Anchorage to visit my brother at Thanksgiving nearly every year. It usually snows. It's pretty. I see some moose. Then I leave.
Haha! Moose? Check. I wish I could post pictures. I have a great one of a young male that I encountered on a hike in Stanley last year. Literally about 10 feet from me...came around the corner and there he was. Scared the living shlit out of me but I remained calm and slowly went on my way. I won't hike that trail alone again!!

You remind me of how I feel about going 'on safari'. Yuck. I can see staying in a 5 star hotel, taking a Land Rover out to an animal preserve, watch a few lions chase gazelle, the high tailing it back to the pool. Lions? Check.
Old 07-17-2018, 12:20 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by uncle holmes View Post
I respect everyone's opinion here!!! But I love Summer!!! By far my favorite season!

I don't have to worry about putting a coat on. I can just put on my shorts and short sleeve shirt every time I go outside! There's a lot more daylight, which makes me happier!

And not as many people are sick!!! Not many colds and flu going around like in the Winter! In the Winter, I'm guaranteed to get at least 2 colds/sinus infections or bronchitis! Not fun at all!!! And right when I get over my cold or whatever, someone else at work or a AA meeting gets a cold!!! Which makes it more likely me and others will get sick again!!!

And the daylight is awful here in Michigan during the Winter! It's dark by 5 pm! It's freezing! Going out to my truck on my driveway is a pain cause it's ice cold. I have to scrape the windows half the time. My car and the entrance inside the house gets soaking wet because of the snow that's dragged in! It's just nasty!!!

My hands get cracked and dried out and I have to use vaseline intensive care hand lotion every day!!!

You have to go by how you feel! I know for me, I'm happier in the Summer and more depressed in the Winter!!!
I was just staying to Mindful that I hate the dryness of the climate I live in, summer or winter. Its brutal...I'm dry as a bone. Even working out I don't sweat even a 1/4 of how I sweat in California. I hate it.

But dark at 5 pm? Now you're talking!!
Old 07-17-2018, 12:21 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Atlast9999 View Post
Yep! I walked mine at 8am and was also sweating bullets. Come on Fall....
And my dog is this little plump double coated guy.....he acts like he's going to spontaneously com-bust poor little fella.
Old 07-17-2018, 12:27 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  

I'm thinking a happy medium will be necessary at some point. Maybe the Pacific Northwest. For now though.. these are the choices I've made so I'm just doing my best to deal with the scorching heat and predominantly brown landscape.[/QUOTE]

I love the PNW. I guess I'm really just the inland neighbor. Portland is amazing. When we visit we stay in Lake Oswego and I love it there....looked at condos...could happen. It rains a lot....and its coastal and has humidity...unlike Idaho. I feel like I can hear the air crunch on a hot day. I live in 'high desert' so its gets real brown here too. And then wildfires start so usually August is so bad its not really even safe to exercise outside. Dirt, brown, pile of rocks, ick. And then of course winter is dead and grey. Why do I find that beautiful? Don't answer that question
Old 07-17-2018, 12:31 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  

"Isn't the desert beautiful?"

"Yeah, well, maybe when it's finished."

NOT a desert person, I'm an ocean person!

OMFG though, Ann Arbor Michigan, winter of 81-82. Never went above zero for the entire month of February. Three huge blizzards the last week of March so heavy that they had to pile it up in parking lots with bulldozers and it didn't melt until June.
I had to go to Neenah Wisconsin in January for business years ago. Yeah, THAT kind of winter is too much. I had to fly out super early. Dropped off the rental car at the tiny airport parking lot...had to walk to the terminal all of 1000 ft (or something like that) and I thought I was going to freeze to death. And I had a full length down jacket on, hat, gloves, scarf, boots. Still thought I was going to die. Idaho winters are nothing like that. I lived in Truckee for a while and that was huge snow. Huge. But the infrastructure for dealing with that is very robust so the roads are always clear etc. And it gets sunny because of the inversion. That was beautiful actually....I've never shoveled so much snow in my life.
Old 07-17-2018, 12:33 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DontRemember View Post
I was just looking at places for rent in HI the other day. Kind of fantasizing about moving over there for 6-12mo like an 'extended vacation' type thing. Just to try it out. I love SoCal too,but living the island life for a bit sounds very tempting.
Its a blast. I was in my mids 20's, taking a 1 yr break from Silicon Valley. It was fun. Lots of partying tho for sure. But the hiking and water sports are amazing. Endless beauty.
Old 07-17-2018, 12:42 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Canadian gal here, the good part of Canada

Love, love, love all 4 seasons. Although I do get sick of winter easy, by March I am done, I just want to see some grass. We live close to ski hills, although my bunny days are behind me now We live on a lake, so summer fun and in the winter there is skating on the lake, ice fishing, we can walk to the closest town across the lake, which only takes an hour, compared to 20 minutes of driving. I wear snowpants and seal mittens LOL

Mr Horsie and I fight over A/C - I hate it, give me heat, we're on a lake, there is always a breeze. He works in the city and grew up on an island with no humidity, so this is completely foreign to him. He dies every summer from the heat. I can't get hot enough!
Old 07-17-2018, 02:16 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  
AA Member

Originally Posted by trachemys View Post
Well, I love summer. I like heat. When I can see heat waves coming off the grass, I'm happy.

I hate cold. I hate winter.

Give me summer.
hate cold

love dry heat
Old 07-17-2018, 02:40 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  
Rar

Retired 'snowbird' here. I grew up in waaaay northern NY near Canada. Frequently my town was the cold spot in the Nation (USA). I did all the winter sports - downhill skiing, cross country skiing, ice skating and of course, the endless snow shoveling. After retiring, Husband and I purchased a second home in central Florida. We live here during the winter and in the hot summer months, head north to the cooler climate. It has gotten where we spend 10 months in Florida and only 2 in NY. That's a big expense for only 2 months. We're going to head to NY in a couple of weeks and are going to think seriously of selling the NY home. I love the heat and sun. .