Blogs


Notices

GAWD I hate summer

Old 07-16-2018, 12:12 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Member
 
FreeOwl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 7,455
in the 90's here and my basement flooded this week... spending days tearing out carpet and padding and shelving and furninture....
FreeOwl is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to FreeOwl For This Useful Post:
entropy1964 (07-16-2018)
Old 07-16-2018, 12:13 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 2,960
Originally Posted by TeeJayVerm View Post
Me too! We still get quite a bit of that in the Midwest. (16 days over 90 degrees in Chicago this year)
Just noticed i used monogamous wrong with having 3 units,but I live close enough to Utah for it to kinda work.
DontRemember is offline  
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DontRemember For This Useful Post:
entropy1964 (07-16-2018), Rar (07-17-2018), TeeJayVerm (07-16-2018)
Old 07-16-2018, 12:16 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Member
 
thomas11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: MN
Posts: 8,578
Deep breaths Frick, take deep breaths. Its gonna be ok.
thomas11 is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to thomas11 For This Useful Post:
entropy1964 (07-16-2018)
Old 07-16-2018, 12:27 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: US
Posts: 5,075
Originally Posted by Arpeggioh View Post
I totally share your stress! When all the air conditioners are running full bore 24/7, and I think about the energy drain...and god forbid the power goes out, we all sit around blinking in the dark, wondering wtf...we are a pampered and spoiled species!
Haha! God forbid the power goes out. We had two random outages in June, which is rare for us. I was thinking....are they starting rolling outages like they do in Cali? Thankfully not.

OMG we are so soft. I'm reading a book called Sapiens....our hunter gatherer ancestors were bad azzes....not like us. Or I should say me! And don't even get me started about teenagers (sorry to any youngens reading this)....at least I was raised by the WW2 generation whose idea of nurturing is a bologna sandwich...haha. Just kidding...kinda.
entropy1964 is offline  
Old 07-16-2018, 12:29 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Member
 
Linners820's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: United States
Posts: 419
I live for spring and summer! I come out of hibernation and get to spend time outside gardening, at the beach, evening walks down by the water where the air smells of honeysuckle...I suppose I wouldnít mind fall, but Iíve had a series of unfortunate events happen in September and October, so I have a bad association with that time of year. Winter just puts me in a bad mood, period. I start perking up around March. Iím one of those people who just NEEDS sunshine on their skin.

I should add that Iím very fortunate and grateful to have air conditioning! If I didnít I might be singing a different tune.
Linners820 is offline  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Linners820 For This Useful Post:
entropy1964 (07-16-2018), MindfulMan (07-16-2018)
Old 07-16-2018, 12:29 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: US
Posts: 5,075
Originally Posted by tekink View Post
I've lived in snowy places and enjoyed winter there, in my youth and as a young adult. These days winter has 60-70 degree highs and summer can see 110+.

Winter can't get here soon enough. Summer is the awful time.
I remember a business trip to AZ in the summer...it was 118 or something close to that. I had to sit in the car while it idled with the AC blasting while my work companion ran inside to grab something he had forgotten. I was convinced the car was going to explode. Shoot me now!
entropy1964 is offline  
Old 07-16-2018, 12:33 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: US
Posts: 5,075
Originally Posted by DontRemember View Post
I'm in a monogamous relationship with my AC unit(s) currently.
Haha! I hear ya. I have a window unit in my bedroom too since its lower floor and not visible from the street (otherwise my HOA would fine me for being too ghetto) and I must say, I love it. My daughter has one too....that way I can turn the main unit off at night. My daughter's room was a meat locker this morning. I have to talk to her about that. Little miss environment/green/vegan/tree hugger...until she's hot then cast all that out the window!
entropy1964 is offline  
Old 07-16-2018, 12:40 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: US
Posts: 5,075
Originally Posted by FreeOwl View Post
as the summers continue to heat up, and the waters rise, CA will gradually get consumed by the lifeless seas.....

and the power needed for all the increased AC will amp up the use of fossil fuels and further exacerbate the warming.....

and the waters will run out or become toxic and they'll come here to Michigan and pump our Great Lakes dry and stale and dead....

And the drilling and the prospecting and the energy consumption for AC will rage on at exponential pace....

And we will suddenly one day realize - all too late - how right the concerns were....

And it will become an endless summer - but not in a good way....

And we will perish..... and the earth will be just fine because the earth will persist and will survive..... but humans may not. Almost certainly will not.... at least not as we recognize humanity today.

Yeah, summer is a bummer. But crank up the AC and live for today.... we probably won't be around for all that.

OMG you sound just like me. I think I'm having a panic attack just reading your post JK. Well not really.

The oceans are also getting too acidic....so there's that.

Yes the earth will continue. Homo Sapiens are an interesting animal. A freak of nature really. So willing to destroy the ground we walk on, the air we breath and the water we drink. When do you think the very rich will start building space stations? Probably already are. Oh well. I won't be on a space station.

Ah for the hunter gatherer days.....I'd be saber tooth chum for sure. Although I'm here so I must have had a bad azz ancestor somewhere in my lineage. But alas, those genes are long receded.
entropy1964 is offline  
Old 07-16-2018, 12:44 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Member
 
FreeOwl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 7,455
Originally Posted by Frickaflip233 View Post
OMG you sound just like me. I think I'm having a panic attack just reading your post JK. Well not really.

The oceans are also getting too acidic....so there's that.

Yes the earth will continue. Homo Sapiens are an interesting animal. A freak of nature really. So willing to destroy the ground we walk on, the air we breath and the water we drink. When do you think the very rich will start building space stations? Probably already are. Oh well. I won't be on a space station.

Ah for the hunter gatherer days.....I'd be saber tooth chum for sure. Although I'm here so I must have had a bad azz ancestor somewhere in my lineage. But alas, those genes are long receded.
yep... writing was on the wall well before us, actually.... at this point it's clear that only the eventual, actual, near-and-present and no-longer-deniable awfulness of a global crisis will engage we stupid humans to a response. Perhaps it won't be 'too late' to save the species.... then again, perhaps by that time the best thing for the species will be extinction. The dinosaurs had their time..... who are we to think ours goes on 'forever', eh? Like each of us as individuals will perish, so too, perhaps, will all of "us" have a limited span....
FreeOwl is offline  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FreeOwl For This Useful Post:
Awake61 (07-16-2018), entropy1964 (07-16-2018)
Old 07-16-2018, 12:46 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: US
Posts: 5,075
Originally Posted by Hevyn View Post
Frick - I'm trying to do 'mind over matter' because it's hella hot here too. Then I saw your thread & figured I'd drop in & share the misery. I agree with you, but I don't want to. In the bitter cold winter I dreamed of the warm sun on my skin. Ha. I have no Air Conditioning in the 2nd floor of this house - bedroom can get to 95 when the sun is out. I win.
Oh absolutely....its a mind game for me for sure. Hey I can always go to a movie....which I may do.

My parents used to live in Syracuse NY....and they HATE the cold. Those are some big winters and very muggy summers. Idaho, where I live, has the most amazing weather really....and people are starting to figure that out because we are growing leaps and bounds. Good and bad. And guess who's coming? The Californians.....southerners mostly.

My upstairs has AC but it doesn't really do much. I'd have to have it at about 68 downstairs and I won't do that (I have limits). I was thinking of having a winter bedroom upstairs and a summer bedroom downstairs. In 1 year my daughter will move out and I'll have a 3000 sq ft house to myself. Yikes. Maybe I'll open a sober living house. Haha. My HOA would love that!
entropy1964 is offline  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to entropy1964 For This Useful Post:
Hevyn (07-16-2018), Rar (07-17-2018)
Old 07-16-2018, 12:47 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: US
Posts: 5,075
Originally Posted by DontRemember View Post
Just noticed i used monogamous wrong with having 3 units,but I live close enough to Utah for it to kinda work.
Awesome. I'm in Idaho....not a lot of those LDS in my area but ya never know.....
entropy1964 is offline  
Old 07-16-2018, 12:48 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: US
Posts: 5,075
Originally Posted by thomas11 View Post
Deep breaths Frick, take deep breaths. Its gonna be ok.
Now I'm hyperventilating......
entropy1964 is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to entropy1964 For This Useful Post:
tekink (07-16-2018)
Old 07-16-2018, 12:51 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: US
Posts: 5,075
Originally Posted by FreeOwl View Post
yep... writing was on the wall well before us, actually.... at this point it's clear that only the eventual, actual, near-and-present and no-longer-deniable awfulness of a global crisis will engage we stupid humans to a response. Perhaps it won't be 'too late' to save the species.... then again, perhaps by that time the best thing for the species will be extinction. The dinosaurs had their time..... who are we to think ours goes on 'forever', eh? Like each of us as individuals will perish, so too, perhaps, will all of "us" have a limited span....
True. And there does seem to be a certain, ehem, acceleration to our decline. I just hope its not too awful.

But humans, we do bond over shared trauma don't we (case in point, addiction)? And we love to procrastinate and then pull out all the stops...kinda our jam as a species. So who knows....

Maybe Yellowstone will blow and save us the slow decline. Could happen.......darn super volcano.
entropy1964 is offline  
Old 07-16-2018, 12:55 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: US
Posts: 5,075
Originally Posted by Linners820 View Post
I live for spring and summer! I come out of hibernation and get to spend time outside gardening, at the beach, evening walks down by the water where the air smells of honeysuckle...I suppose I wouldnít mind fall, but Iíve had a series of unfortunate events happen in September and October, so I have a bad association with that time of year. Winter just puts me in a bad mood, period. I start perking up around March. Iím one of those people who just NEEDS sunshine on their skin.

I should add that Iím very fortunate and grateful to have air conditioning! If I didnít I might be singing a different tune.
AC and the beach. You must be on the East Coast.

I hear ya regarding bad events in the fall. My hub died on Halloween. So I mostly equate that with the actual goings on of Halloween, as opposed to Fall specifically. I love Fall, Spring, Winter, even the beginning of summer. But the big heat? Icky spit.
entropy1964 is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to entropy1964 For This Useful Post:
Linners820 (07-16-2018)
Old 07-16-2018, 01:06 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  
Member
 
TeeJayVerm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 543
Originally Posted by Frickaflip233 View Post
I remember a business trip to AZ in the summer...it was 118 or something close to that. I had to sit in the car while it idled with the AC blasting while my work companion ran inside to grab something he had forgotten. I was convinced the car was going to explode. Shoot me now!
I thought it was crazy that my cousin's wife in the Phoenix area wears oven mitts when driving in the Summer... but then I realize I have to wear a knitted hat, thick coat, long underwear, wool socks, boots, and insulated gloves in the Winter (with a shovel, ice/snow scraper, and plenty of windshield washer fluid in the trunk to boot).
TeeJayVerm is offline  
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TeeJayVerm For This Useful Post:
entropy1964 (07-17-2018), Linners820 (07-16-2018), Rar (07-17-2018)
Old 07-16-2018, 01:42 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please
 
MindfulMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: SoCal
Posts: 2,562
I'm very fortunate to live in LA and NOT in one of the Valleys, where it's 10+ degrees hotter. We do get a few days of hot, last week VERY hot...it was 108 at my house. But that's rare, not even a yearly occurrence. I have AC, but try not to use it most days. It's also not all that humid. Another thing about SoCal that makes summer a bit easier is that it's semidesert, so it cools WAY down at night. I grew up on the East Coast and I remember the hot summer nights. I lived at the beach in Venice for 15 years without air and rarely wished for it.

I have pretty bad classic SAD, even getting depressed here in SoCal in the winter and, when I lived at the beach, during "May Gray" and "June Gloom." Most of the time SoCal is perfect for me. When I lived in Michigan, I wanted to slit my wrists by March every year. I LOATHE winter. I can visit it for a few days....Thanksgiving in Alaska or Christmas in Philly, but always glad to be back to California.

I have a friend who has "reverse SAD." She hates heat and the long days, she never liked California and is ecstatic to be back on the East coast and treasures the snow, cold and short days of winter. She gets anxious and depressed in the summer. About 10% of SAD cases are like this, more are short-day depressive.

Give me summer anytime.
MindfulMan is offline  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MindfulMan For This Useful Post:
entropy1964 (07-17-2018), Linners820 (07-16-2018)
Old 07-16-2018, 03:31 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  
Member
 
Linners820's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: United States
Posts: 419
Originally Posted by MindfulMan View Post
I'm very fortunate to live in LA and NOT in one of the Valleys, where it's 10+ degrees hotter. We do get a few days of hot, last week VERY hot...it was 108 at my house. But that's rare, not even a yearly occurrence. I have AC, but try not to use it most days. It's also not all that humid. Another thing about SoCal that makes summer a bit easier is that it's semidesert, so it cools WAY down at night. I grew up on the East Coast and I remember the hot summer nights. I lived at the beach in Venice for 15 years without air and rarely wished for it.

I have pretty bad classic SAD, even getting depressed here in SoCal in the winter and, when I lived at the beach, during "May Gray" and "June Gloom." Most of the time SoCal is perfect for me. When I lived in Michigan, I wanted to slit my wrists by March every year. I LOATHE winter. I can visit it for a few days....Thanksgiving in Alaska or Christmas in Philly, but always glad to be back to California.

I have a friend who has "reverse SAD." She hates heat and the long days, she never liked California and is ecstatic to be back on the East coast and treasures the snow, cold and short days of winter. She gets anxious and depressed in the summer. About 10% of SAD cases are like this, more are short-day depressive.

Give me summer anytime.
I'm on the East Coast and have friends in SoCal...what a difference! Out there, most of the time it seems to be more of a dry heat and not the humid feeling like you're trapped under a huge sweaty armpit. I remember how out there, the overcast morning clouds would usually burn away by afternoon and there were just vivid clear blue skies.

I remember reading something about the "reverse" SAD that you mentioned. Can't recall the details of the article right now but it was something that really interested me. (I'm forever in search of reasons why things or people are a certain way!)

Winter can be nice, but I've always been of the feeling that it should snow (and a big snowstorm at that) to make it worth it. I think snow is pretty. Just once or twice though, and then I'm DONE.
Linners820 is offline  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Linners820 For This Useful Post:
entropy1964 (07-17-2018), MindfulMan (07-16-2018)
Old 07-16-2018, 03:48 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please
 
MindfulMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: SoCal
Posts: 2,562
Originally Posted by Linners820 View Post
I think snow is pretty. Just once or twice though, and then I'm DONE.
Exactly this!

I go to Anchorage to visit my brother at Thanksgiving nearly every year. It usually snows. It's pretty. I see some moose. Then I leave.
MindfulMan is offline  
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MindfulMan For This Useful Post:
entropy1964 (07-17-2018), Linners820 (07-16-2018), Rar (07-17-2018)
Old 07-16-2018, 04:11 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  
Member
 
uncle holmes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Michigan
Posts: 3,619
I respect everyone's opinion here!!! But I love Summer!!! By far my favorite season!

I don't have to worry about putting a coat on. I can just put on my shorts and short sleeve shirt every time I go outside! There's a lot more daylight, which makes me happier!

And not as many people are sick!!! Not many colds and flu going around like in the Winter! In the Winter, I'm guaranteed to get at least 2 colds/sinus infections or bronchitis! Not fun at all!!! And right when I get over my cold or whatever, someone else at work or a AA meeting gets a cold!!! Which makes it more likely me and others will get sick again!!!

And the daylight is awful here in Michigan during the Winter! It's dark by 5 pm! It's freezing! Going out to my truck on my driveway is a pain cause it's ice cold. I have to scrape the windows half the time. My car and the entrance inside the house gets soaking wet because of the snow that's dragged in! It's just nasty!!!

My hands get cracked and dried out and I have to use vaseline intensive care hand lotion every day!!!

You have to go by how you feel! I know for me, I'm happier in the Summer and more depressed in the Winter!!!
uncle holmes is online now  
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to uncle holmes For This Useful Post:
entropy1964 (07-17-2018), Linners820 (07-16-2018), Rar (07-17-2018)
Old 07-16-2018, 04:13 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 1,285
Originally Posted by Frickaflip233 View Post

Just walked the dog 5 miles.....sweating bullets....and its 7:45am. Ahhhh summer.
Yep! I walked mine at 8am and was also sweating bullets. Come on Fall....
Atlast9999 is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to Atlast9999 For This Useful Post:
entropy1964 (07-17-2018)

Currently Active Users Viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off




All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:05 AM.