Notices

New

Old 07-15-2018, 02:44 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New

I’m new to this forum and just thought it might help to hear stories so I don’t feel so alone and very scared. I drink . And have been hiding it for years now as my partner never really liked me drinking as I always had that vibe too many .
So I hid it and now it’s a part of my life . He doesn’t understand as he has he strongest willpower ever. Anyway he found out I was drinking on a family holiday and it ruined it for him and I have pushed him too far I feel. So back on the wagon and day 2 here. Nervous and scared.
Old 07-15-2018, 02:48 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. You'll find a lot of support here. I hope we can help you stay sober for good.
Old 07-16-2018, 02:13 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome, Lmag, and well done on day 2. I hope you stick around and post often. This site has been a very important part of my recovery.
Things will get better--I understand the nervousness and fear, but there is a fabulous sober life waiting. Don't get discouraged--there will be ups and downs but there is no situation that drinking will not make worse. Best wishes on your sober journey.
Old 07-16-2018, 09:53 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hello, welcome and congratulations on two days.
I hid my drinking, too. Or at least I thought I was hiding it. I was pretty crafty about it at first, but then it became obvious to those around me that I was drinking.
I was only hiding the realization from myself that I could not control my drinking. And I was drinking all the time, no matter the time of day.

You're definitely not alone. My drinking progressed to the point where I was drinking every day. All day and night. Drinking tends to be progressive to the alcoholic.

Best to you, and stick around. You'll find a lot of support here.
Old 07-16-2018, 10:01 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Lmag View Post
I’.
So I hid it and now it’s a part of my life .
Hiding is a very bad sign. You are much better than this, attend daily AA, get at addict therapist, whatever it takes!
Old 07-16-2018, 10:07 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome Lmag. Many of us hid the drink from those we loved for years. It's a horrible way to life.

Here's to getting better and sober. Stay strong.
Old 07-16-2018, 10:58 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I forgot to mention, you're not alone. And I was definitely scared to stop drinking, too.
I didn't know what to expect. I had lost my real self to drinking years before. I didn't even know what I would be like sober.

Turns out, I like the sober me.
It's natural to be scared about something that has become such a big part of our lives. Nervous and anxious, too.
These things will fade away once we get a little sobriety under our belt.

There's a good, sober person in you just waiting to come out. I think you'll like the new you and I bet your partner will too.
Best to you. I've been in your spot. You're not alone.
Old 07-16-2018, 11:25 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Being scared to drink isn't necessarily a bad thing. Fear is a great motivator. As you accumulate sober time, your fears should lessen. Early on everything is tough. Welcome to SR.
Old 07-16-2018, 11:56 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi Lmag. I've been here for almost a year and there is a ton of info and advice here to help you. Come over the the 24 thread too, it is a great way to meet folks and commit to 24 hours every day. I'll look forward to seeing you around xx
Old 07-16-2018, 11:59 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome, Lmag! I was a hider too. Isn’t that an exhausting way to live?? Happy you are here- this forum is definitely one of the tools in my ammunition box for living sober.

We are glad you are here.
Old 07-16-2018, 03:31 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ghostlight1 View Post
Turns out, I like the sober me.
Great statement! I discovered I like sober me as well! I’m glad you posted this - it’s a good reminder.
Old 07-16-2018, 03:46 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

Lmag, I hid, or tried to hide, my drinking from my spouse, too. It was awful - for him and for me. It becomes part of your life and lying becomes the norm. You've come to a great place to find support!