Notices

big relapse

Old 07-17-2018, 05:51 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

big relapse

Hi all. Have had a major relapse and really don't know how to stop. 6 days so far at 15 cans per day maybe more. My behaviour is also getting really destructive aswell while i'm drinking. Just thought i'd post don't know what else to do
Old 07-17-2018, 06:04 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
I could see peace instead of this

When I relapsed, it took me four and a half years to get sober again. I kept trying all kinds of things to keep from drinking but it never lasted long; I was getting more and more out of control and increasingly afraid of what I might do when drunk.

Being around others trying to get sober and working the 12 Steps in my life made the big difference for me, so I finally gave in and went back to AA meetings. Even though I felt very awkward, they welcomed me back and I've been sober now for over 3 years.
Old 07-17-2018, 06:09 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Someday, how long had you been sober before your relapse? For me, actively engaging in SR has been extremely helpful, spending hours here reading and posting, and taking a stand on Day 1. Get all the alcohol out of the house, drink tons of water, eat whatever sounds good. You can absolutely get back on track...we are here with you.
Old 07-17-2018, 06:17 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yes, keep logging into SR, it will help with support. If you have any alcohol in the house pour it out, rest, and get back on track. I know from personal experience how difficult a relapse can be, but you can pick yourself up and start again. Everyone here has been there.
Old 07-17-2018, 07:21 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I had been dabbling with weekend drinking again wasn't coming on here as much then it just got completely out of control. I had been to a few meetings then slipped just wasn't being as proactive with my recovery things happen so fast with addiction sometimes it's truely frightening. Addiction really terrifies me more so now than ever before. People always say how it's progressive that is certainly the case with me. Thanks the responses really appreciate that I feel so alone in this struggle. I have no friends as they are all active addicts so I stay away from them.
Old 07-17-2018, 09:17 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi Someday....this is it....

" just wasn't being as proactive with my recovery things happen so fast with addiction . "

You have to stay proactive, and active, in recovery. Full stop. It takes work but it can be done. Get rid of the booze NOW, dust yourself down and jump right back on the sober bus.

Sending love light and peace
Old 07-17-2018, 09:31 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

sorry to hear that. I had a lot of day 1's before finally stopping the cycle. Put it away and make it day 1 tomorrow! keep posting it really does help you stay accountable.
Old 07-17-2018, 09:37 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
AA Member

glad youre here
Old 07-17-2018, 09:50 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by someday147 View Post
Hi all. Have had a major relapse and really don't know how to stop. 6 days so far at 15 cans per day maybe more. My behaviour is also getting really destructive aswell while i'm drinking. Just thought i'd post don't know what else to do
Welcome back someday. During the latter stages of my drinking returns to drinking were similar- i went from "a few" to full-on/everyday binge drinking within a matter of days.

I think in truth you do know exactly what to do, your addiction is just trying to tell you otherwise. Not only do you know what to do, you've done it before. It's a simple solution of course, but not "easy" - you need to stop drinking alcohol immediately.

Coming here was a great idea - did you have any local support at all last time you quit? If you truly feel that you would be in danger for serious withdrawals or cannot muster the confidience, seriously consider a supervised detox. As you said, your behavior is becoming more erratic as you drink - and extraordinary problems require extraordinary solutions.

Make no mistake though - you can quit and you can quit right now if you choose to do so. In fact, you are the only one who can make that decision.
Old 07-17-2018, 10:14 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Ok have thrown the alcohol out. One day i'm gonna beat this evil I just know it
Old 07-17-2018, 12:58 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Keep posting someday147, we are all here to help. Good job on throwing out the booze. Now prepare for a couple days of mild discomfort. I'm big on food, even though you likely don't feel hungry, force something in your stomach. Get that gut bacteria working again. Alcohol kills it.
Old 07-17-2018, 02:10 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thank you so much everyone I appreciate the support and help so much i'm staying close to sr forever hopefully one day when I get better I can help others too no one should have to go through the hell's of addiction it's good to know that there's a way out. I'm not listening to the lies my av continues to tell me because nothing in my life anxiety etc is anywhere near as scary as active addiction.
Old 07-17-2018, 02:11 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thank you so much everyone I appreciate the support and help so much i'm staying close to sr forever hopefully one day when I get better I can help others too no one should have to go through the hell's of addiction it's good to know that there's a way out. I'm not listening to the lies my av continues to tell me because nothing in my life anxiety etc is anywhere near as scary as active addiction.
Nice work. Excellent job tossing the booze.
Old 07-17-2018, 03:01 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Ok have thrown the alcohol out. One day i'm gonna beat this evil I just know it
Everyday we beat it is that day.

Your done. Good choice. Don't worry too much about tomorrow or forever. Just don't drink today. Rinse and repeat for awhile.

Keep it simple. Keep it focused.

B
Old 07-17-2018, 03:25 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yes, you will. Getting rid of the alcohol is a great first step and have faith that you can this. Is there something that you can add to your plan to help prevent relapse in the future?
Old 07-17-2018, 03:50 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Rar

Good you dumped the alcohol. I agree with everyone here. You can quit and today can be your last Day 1. I stayed very close to SR, practically spending all day here for several days. I logged on at all hours of the day and night. Sometimes even during the night when I couldn't sleep, I would read posts. I had severe anxiety even during the day. I drank Sleepytime and chamomile teas. We're all rooting for you. You can do this!
Old 07-17-2018, 03:57 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I'm not sure Anna I really thought I had a good plan in place. I'm going to ask for a sponsor at the next meeting I attend. I will make a point to post here daily and not just on the days i'm struggling. I think I let my guard down by not being proactive on the days when my cravings are minimal.
Old 07-17-2018, 04:01 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Thanks again for all the responses they have been a great help
Old 07-17-2018, 04:23 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you tossed the booze and are considering going back to meettings and being sponsored someday.

If you want to share what your plan looked like and hoe you put it into action, maybe we can help you build a better one this time?

D
Old 07-17-2018, 04:52 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Yes that would be great Dee thanks. I went to cbt therapy and am currently going to 1-1 addiction therapy. I was journaling daily and reading mindfulness meditation book daily which I had started to practice. I was eating healthy and exercising daily. I was on sr daily reading. I went to a few meetings and intend to go to them more frequently now.