Notices

The alcoholic gets no respect

Old 07-18-2018, 11:38 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by doggonecarl View Post
The alcoholic gets no respect

True. And don't expect a parade when you finally get sober.
Good luck with your sobriety Carl, you misunderstood what I was implying,
Old 07-18-2018, 12:27 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

The reasoning behind providing clean needles and places to inject illicit drugs is to reduce harm to the addict and society as a whole.

Where I live in the Bay Area, California, its a huge issue. A lady sat down in a BART train (electric train system) and felt a ***** on her bottom to discover it was a hypodermic needle. Needless to say she was terrified for good reason.

Needles are being found all over the streets, in front of frequently visited shops, playgrounds, and even elementary schools. Its scary to think of a little child picking one of these needles up and accidentally pricking themselves.

Alcoholics have places they can go to consume alcohol in society. One can go to a restaurant, a bar, hotels, fairs and do so safely. Also, because its legal and some folks don't seem to have issues with it, its hard to understand why its hard for some folks who have issues with it to just stop.

But, I understand where you are coming from. In my humble opinion I feel all addicts should be treated the same as in they all have a addiction that is destroying their lives and the substance shouldn't matter.
Old 07-18-2018, 12:30 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bunchie View Post
Good luck with your sobriety Carl, you misunderstood what I was implying,
Carl has been a contributing member here for awhile and has some good experience/advice to share on living a sober life. He didn't mean any harm toward you just when us addicts get clean, normies aren't as quick to applaud our efforts quitting the heroin or booze etc.
Old 07-18-2018, 12:59 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

I think you may indeed have been misunderstood bunchie. You used the word "respect" but I think you may have intended to convey a meaning something closer to "consideration"?

Note the many people saying thanks to Carl. Respect is the wrong word to use in connection to our drinking. Period. Full stop.
Old 07-18-2018, 01:02 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by bunchie View Post
...you misunderstood what I was implying,
Probably.

Here's what I understand though...Resentments are recovery killers. So resenting that alcoholics don't get the respect that those afflicted with other addictions get serves no purpose. I understand wanting to vent. Don't let it take up too much space in your head.

As for the parade comment, I meant I hope you don't resent the world when they (the normies) don't make a big deal about your sobriety.
Old 07-18-2018, 01:06 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Not that its important but I didn't mean to use profanity in my post, I meant she felt a sharp sting on her bottom when she sat down.
Old 07-18-2018, 05:01 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope you feel a little better today Bunchie.

I have no idea whether drug addicts are treated better than alcoholics but I know both are things I wouldn't wish on anyone.

I'm actually glad noone made a fuss of me when I quit because the screwed up guy I was then would have milked that for all it was worth.

I might even have use the excuse that I was sick to drink some more.

Instead, I started an incredible voyage of self discovery.

I hope you will too Bunchie - I think you'll see it's all about our journey - not someone elses?

D