Notices

Hesitant about meetings

Old 07-17-2018, 08:42 AM
  # 101 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Laura3 View Post
How many people on here keep relapsing trying to do it on their own?
Most of us. But it takes work, some suffering, and more work.

Worth it though. And from the pain you seem to be going through, you will be grateful you went through it.
Old 07-17-2018, 08:43 AM
  # 102 (permalink)  

Laura,

you can phone AA in your area and see if you can get help getting to meetings, or if someone can come and speak with you.
these are real possibilities.
you speak of some day finding a solution. well, AA has one, but it is not meetings. it is doing the stepwork and through that process getting recovered.

if that is not what you are interested in doing, there are other avenues, including SMART, Rational Recovery, Women for Sobriety, Lifering...most of these have real-life meetings as well as online meetings.

this is all accessible and available to you.

you are not stuck for lack of a solution being available, but stuck because you are not availing yourself of the solutions that are out there.
Old 07-17-2018, 08:48 AM
  # 103 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by fini View Post
Laura,

you can phone AA in your area and see if you can get help getting to meetings, or if someone can come and speak with you.
these are real possibilities.
you speak of some day finding a solution. well, AA has one, but it is not meetings. it is doing the stepwork and through that process getting recovered.

if that is not what you are interested in doing, there are other avenues, including SMART, Rational Recovery, Women for Sobriety, Lifering...most of these have real-life meetings as well as online meetings.

this is all accessible and available to you.

you are not stuck for lack of a solution being available, but stuck because you are not availing yourself of the solutions that are out there.
I have called as and contacted na members but so far they have not had any solutions. I don't know what services are available where I live, probably not much, other than checking into the hospital for a few days if they even took me. My problem is getting through the withdrawals. I'm not against getting help but right now I'm concerned with making it through a few days without drinking or using.
Old 07-17-2018, 10:00 AM
  # 104 (permalink)  

If you feel that you need a medically assisted detox then your GP is the first port of call.

You know you may need to do stuff you don't want to in order for this to happen for you. That tends to be the only way we get well. We get willing first.

BB
Old 07-17-2018, 10:09 AM
  # 105 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Berrybean View Post
If you feel that you need a medically assisted detox then your GP is the first port of call.

You know you may need to do stuff you don't want to in order for this to happen for you. That tends to be the only way we get well. We get willing first.

BB
I've been looking into counseling. I'm going to make an appointment. They will know more about the services available to me.
Old 07-17-2018, 10:18 AM
  # 106 (permalink)  

I've been looking into counseling. I'm going to make an appointment. They will know more about the services available to me.
Well that's a good idea. Have they given an indication of the number if sessions you can expect to get and what the waiting time is? I've noticed that the free counselling available seems to be getting scarcer and scarcer. Has round here anyway. Hopefully it's not the same in your area.

BB
Old 07-17-2018, 10:55 AM
  # 107 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Berrybean View Post
Well that's a good idea. Have they given an indication of the number if sessions you can expect to get and what the waiting time is? I've noticed that the free counselling available seems to be getting scarcer and scarcer. Has round here anyway. Hopefully it's not the same in your area.

BB
The automated phone system is a nightmare to go through. I'm going to the clinic tomorrow and I will make an appointment then. I'm not sure how often I will be able to go, medical services are limited in this town.
Old 07-17-2018, 01:24 PM
  # 108 (permalink)  

To tar everyone with the same brush is somewhat unfair and I have to be honest, judgemental. The majority of people in the rooms are there to get and stay well. These are the people who have shown courage. It takes courage to be able to admit to themselves and others the very nature of their wrong doings, their past and also their daily struggles. People in the rooms are developing self awareness, working daily to better themselves, make amends for harm done, embrace a more spiritual way of living. Psychopaths to be honest wouldnt have a clue how to even do this. What you will find in the rooms is honest, non judgemental, caring people. If you decide to let your own preconceptions deter you from attending, well that is up to you, however I would suggest that you be more open minded. You could discover, true friendship, self awareness and a better way of living.
Old 07-17-2018, 04:18 PM
  # 109 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by blueberry2015 View Post
To tar everyone with the same brush is somewhat unfair and I have to be honest, judgemental. The majority of people in the rooms are there to get and stay well. These are the people who have shown courage. It takes courage to be able to admit to themselves and others the very nature of their wrong doings, their past and also their daily struggles. People in the rooms are developing self awareness, working daily to better themselves, make amends for harm done, embrace a more spiritual way of living. Psychopaths to be honest wouldnt have a clue how to even do this. What you will find in the rooms is honest, non judgemental, caring people. If you decide to let your own preconceptions deter you from attending, well that is up to you, however I would suggest that you be more open minded. You could discover, true friendship, self awareness and a better way of living.
I've actually given up on the meetings idea since I realised I'd have to walk past the bar where I had my incident the other night and it's the only meeting. My lease is up in a few months and I'm moving back to the city. I know people in the meetings there.
Old 07-17-2018, 07:40 PM
  # 110 (permalink)  

I've actually given up on the meetings idea since I realised I'd have to walk past the bar where I had my incident the other night and it's the only meeting. My lease is up in a few months and I'm moving back to the city. I know people in the meetings there.
Sooooo...Had you not went to that bar and had that 'incident', you would have went to that meeting location?

Edit: You're going to have to start OWNING your actions eventually or your actions will own you. Excuses and no positive action get you nowhere in this life. I learned that the hard way.
Old 07-18-2018, 04:36 AM
  # 111 (permalink)  

People say to travel to meetings but they don't realize how complicated it is. When I quit in the past it was through detox and daily meetings and I don't have those options right now.
i had to drive by my favorite bar to get to the only meeting in the small podunk town i got sober in. i had the choice of pulling in or driving by. had a few times it felt like my car was going to turn into the bar, but it was only me and i didnt allow it to happen.
i was working a job that i drove 90 miles round trip for. besides that meeting in podunk,usa, the next closest meeting was a 50+ mile round trip.

i was puttin down over 600 miles/week between meetings and work.

any length for victory over alcohol.