Notices

I need help

Old 07-15-2018, 04:26 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I need help

All, I have been on and off of this site, and this time I am laying here awake after a whole night of no sleep. I drink 1-3 days on the weekends. It started Thursday with seven manhattans at a restaurant, which is like 14 units. Passed out when we got home. Friday I had nine drinks. Six beers and three shots of bourbon. Last night I had three beers and three shots if bourbon. I couldn't sleep last night, and I am laying awake desperate to make a change. I tell myself every Sunday that's it! I am just tired of it, but it seems I cannot do it alone. How do I finally find help to stop?
Old 07-15-2018, 04:36 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Have you talked to your doctor? If you are having physical symptoms, they can prescribe medication to get you through that first week.

Other than that, it's, "Don't pick up a drink, no matter what," and tough it out. It gets easier!

Have you checked out any recovery meetings?

This forum was a great place for me in early days. I posted in my "Class of March" every day and read all around the forums.

It helps.

You can do it.
Old 07-15-2018, 04:40 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Why not just make today your day one?
You could find out when and where your local AA meetings are and try to get to some in the weeks so that you will have a bit more resolve and support ready for next weekend.
It might also help to not just thing about what you aren't going to do next weekend, but think also about what you are going to do. If Thursday night is when your drinking kicks off have a definite plan, preferably agreed with someone else. For example, my drinking kick-off was after work on a Friday. Nowadays I try to have a plan in place to meet a (sober) friend for coffee, then drive to the next town for the Friday night AA meeting (which I know tends to have a good attendance of positive folk with healthy sobriety and healthy senses of humour as well). I give a few people a lift to the meeting so i am accountable that way. By the time I get home it's gone 10pm and I'm happy to chill out and have some quiet time. My weekends go better when I've already got a plan of where I'm going, and have some social dates in my diary that don't revolve around booze. Gentle exercise, companionship, eating well, and staying hydrated help. As do avoiding conflict and drama (social media can be dangerous ground). It's also worth keeping your expectations realistic. The first few months will be tricky. They just will. But it's not gonna kill any of us. Also, our feelings are not reality. (One of the real bonuses of attending meetings is we can talk to poeple who've been through this, understand where our emotions can take us, and can be a good sounding board and help us understand when we're getting a little alcoholic in our thinking, which is sometimes all we need to chill out a bit.

Glad you found us. I hope you keep reading and posting. Wishing you all the best for your sobriety and recovery.
BB
Old 07-15-2018, 04:55 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome back starcco
I think the key to change is action.

I worked hard to stay drunk, I needed to work at least as hard to stay sober.

Any ideas on what changes you need to brink to your life?

D
Old 07-15-2018, 06:53 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
Have you talked to your doctor? If you are having physical symptoms, they can prescribe medication to get you through that first week.

Other than that, it's, "Don't pick up a drink, no matter what," and tough it out. It gets easier!

Have you checked out any recovery meetings?

This forum was a great place for me in early days. I posted in my "Class of March" every day and read all around the forums.

It helps.

You can do it.
My doctor knows and he asks me if I have stopped drinking every time I see him. What physical symptoms do you mean? I also am not sure how to find recovery meetings. I have a family too and not sure how I cauldron tell my kids that I am going to recovery meetings.
Old 07-15-2018, 07:55 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Most US states/counties have services such as mental health, or human services for people who need help such as food stamps and welfare. Not sure where you are but brochures are offered in lobbies of those services, along with mental health clinics or doctors offices and are put out as resources that any anonymous person can pick up and read. Start there if you've go no idea, make calls to offices or hotlines. Help is fairly easy to access if you are unsure of asking your doctor directly. Good luck to you, it sounds like you need support finding your way to sobriety. It is out there.
Old 07-15-2018, 08:01 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you've talked to your dr and he is encouraging you to stop drinking. Stopping drinking is simple, but not easy. Get rid of the alcohol in your home and don't buy anymore. You might consider talking to a therapist or check out AA in your area. AVRT is also a good option.

I believe that motivation and taking action are more important than the recovery method you choose.
Old 07-15-2018, 12:03 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thank you for sharing, I haven't quit yet, but learning a lot on this site, and planning on meeting my Dr next week to stop drinking.
Old 07-15-2018, 06:09 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

I have a family too and not sure how I cauldron tell my kids that I am going to recovery meetings.
It's very likely they already know you have a problem. Wouldn't it be better for them to see you address the problem?
Old 07-17-2018, 10:20 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
It's very likely they already know you have a problem. Wouldn't it be better for them to see you address the problem?
They don’t really see me drink, and by the time I pass out, they are sleeping. For example, I bbq on. Saturday and we eat, watch a movie or play a game. By the time they are in bed, I am drunk and a few hrs later is when I stop. Either pass out or just go to bed.
Old 07-17-2018, 10:24 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

As a parent, I don't think my kids could have named drinking as my problem, but I'm absolutely sure they knew something was "off." And as far as meetings, how would they know that was where you were going?
Old 07-17-2018, 10:47 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by starcco View Post
They don’t really see me drink, and by the time I pass out, they are sleeping. For example, I bbq on. Saturday and we eat, watch a movie or play a game. By the time they are in bed, I am drunk and a few hrs later is when I stop. Either pass out or just go to bed.
Whether they "see" you drink or not, your kids are effected by it. I say that as a father and a former drunk myself. And the addiction will only get worse.

How old are your kids?