Notices

New to SR, looking to get sober forever

Old 07-24-2018, 07:28 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Awesome, Rover! Way to go. I basically lived on SR at the beginning of my sober journey, it helps with the boredom and feeling like you're alone in this struggle. Obviously you're not, we're all here with you.
Old 07-24-2018, 07:45 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Hope day one went well Rover. BTW, I'm a fellow Virginian. Love Clifton, VA. So beautiful.
Old 07-24-2018, 07:47 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Early sobriety can be a bumpy road sometimes, so have a plan for dealing with life's ups and downs.
Old 07-24-2018, 08:32 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Good for you - for making a decision for yourself and for going to the doctor. That was smart.
Old 07-24-2018, 09:03 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Day 2 accomplished since my last drink. I was awake until late last night and couldn't sleep for a while, ended up sleeping decent until 10 am, when my wife woke me up and she was upset that I was still sleeping. I tried to explain to her about my first night without alcohol, and I was exhausted and stayed up late. I know she is supportive, but she thinks I still should be able to act responsibly in front of the children 13, 11, and 7. what would they think if their dad is still asleep until 10 am. Since I work for myself, I have a flexible schedule, and I was hoping to go through this week recovering from withdrawal and detox without someone being upset with me. But I am committed to get this drinking behind me. I supposed only those of us understand what we go through during the first few days, weeks, from the recovery.

I can tell you that I already feel better in just 2 days, I am taking 3 tablets of Oxazepam daily, and I didn't really feel any major withdrawal symptoms, except a little bored, sleepy and tired. Eating a lot of food like crazy though.
Old 07-25-2018, 07:01 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Try to remember that you can get sober regardless of anything or anyone else. Also, it is good to keep posting ALL the time, whether things are going well or badly. Share the good stuff too. It is the posts you get in in the good times that will help carry you through the bad.

It never works, the idea of posting if you are about to drink. If you did post, you probably wouldn't drink, but if the obsession is back and the window of opportunity has closed, there is not a chance in hell that an alcholic will call anyone who might want to talk them out of drinking. It is way to late by that time.
Old 07-25-2018, 08:05 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I woke up this morning feeling even better than yesterday, Day 2.5 , still feeling blah, blah, but no weird withdraw symptoms. Going on 60 hours now without a drop, and really no urge, but more of a mental thing to think about it. I like how I am feeling without an alcohol in my system, at the least recently .
Old 07-25-2018, 08:18 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Great job Rover! I am right there with you. I am on day 7 today without drinking and it definitely feels better each day. Keep plugging away day by day. This site has been extremely helpful in keeping me on my path and there are a lot of caring/supportive people on here.
Old 07-25-2018, 08:27 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Awesome, Rover. Keep it going
Old 07-25-2018, 08:41 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Welcome Rover and congrats!! Keep going!
Old 07-25-2018, 03:05 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

You're doing so well, Rover. I am early into sobriety too and maybe I am not as experienced as these amazing people, but I have a tip that really helps me:

Just focus on today. The thought of being sober forever scared the hell out of me and I always relapsed because of it. So I just focus on not taking that first drink for the next twenty four hours.

Every day turns into weeks, then months, then years. Do not worry about staying sober for next week's BBQ, or that wedding in a few months time or this coming Christmas. Only today.

Every day you get through sober makes you stronger and stronger. You are finally free, so fly high!
Old 07-25-2018, 08:25 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Thank you. As of 11:00 pm tonight, 3 days under my belt. My last drink was 10:30 pm or so Sunday night. I do have my moments, but never really an urge to drink, but more mental need than physical need. Thank you all for the support.
Old 07-25-2018, 08:41 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Great job Rover, stay after it!
Old 08-24-2018, 09:02 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Day 33, sober and couldn't be happier with the decision to stop. I so appreciate all of you guiding me and supporting me since Day 1, and even prior to making my decision to quit. Thank you all.
Old 08-24-2018, 09:12 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Congrats on the first of many sober months! Keep going, it gets better.
Old 08-24-2018, 10:50 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Congratulations on 33 days that's brilliant Have you thought about how you are going to remain sober long term?
Old 08-24-2018, 11:37 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Welcome Rover ! This site has helped me more than I can say.
Keep posting to let us know how you are doing ?
Old 08-24-2018, 11:38 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Sorry , meant to say congrats on 33 days ! But still keep posting.
Old 08-25-2018, 12:05 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Well done Rover. It’s not often that you hear folks bemoaning their decision to get sober!

Keep going and figure out a plan for long-term sobriety. At some stage you might start thinking that you will now be able to moderate, and although I can’t say whether or not you’ll succeed, the combined experience on this site suggests that it is near impossible for virtually all of us.

If you enjoy being sober you should find that you really don’t miss alcohol at all, so why risk it? Just my thoughts for the stage where you’re at, based on my own experience, that might or might not apply to your situation.
Old 08-25-2018, 05:33 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

That's so great, Rover! Huge congratulations, here comes 60 days!