Notices

I never regret going to bed sober

Old 07-15-2018, 06:21 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Your post really struck a chord with me. When reminding myself why I stopped drinking, I often think about how I never regret not drinking the next morning. I've never thought about how I never regret going to bed sober. That's a good mantra!
Old 07-15-2018, 07:11 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I’m so glad! I’m working on my gratitude - I thought I was a pretty grateful person before, but I was wrong. There are so many gifts, big and little, that I’ve noticed since seriously starting the process of getting sober.

As for triggers - everything was a trigger for me. Every change in emotion, going from sad to happy or vice versa, had been marked by taking a drink. Celebration? Drink. Bored? Drink. Angry? Repeat. It had become muscle memory to reach for alcohol once evening hit. I’m noticing now that I can recognize the emotional triggers, but I’m still having some difficulty recognizing the physical ones. I think I get cravings when my blood sugar is low too. A couple of times now, it was touch and go, but then I ate something, not even sweets, and I felt much better. I’m going to talk to my doc about that.

Another sober day in the bag for me. Goodnight everyone and onwards we go!
Old 07-16-2018, 01:59 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Never regret going to bed sober the cold comfy bed in this hot weather just so amazing now my children likes to cuddle with me in bed..
Old 07-16-2018, 09:26 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Great post! Congrats on 34 days. I definitely do not miss those 3 am anxiety attacks or the anxiety all the next day until I got some beers in me.
Old 07-16-2018, 10:02 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by brighterday1234 View Post
You will never regret not drinking
Old 07-16-2018, 10:08 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

Originally Posted by brighterday1234 View Post
You will never regret not drinking
That's one of the most powerful posts I've read in a while.

So true. I'm etching that one in my brain. And the corollary...You WILL regret drinking.

Because I'm an alcoholic, if I have a drink, it's only a matter of time before bad things happen.
Old 07-16-2018, 03:21 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by eyes99 View Post

Then I looked in the mirror. I didn’t mean to, but I was washing my hands and looked up. And when I saw my face, I realized that I would know. And that it would start the cycle of shame and disgust with myself all over again.
Great post. Powerful.

This part ^^, I've had those moments too. For as self-centered as us booze hounds can be we sure have a way of forgetting ourselves don't we? I lived for so long in reaction to others - what they wouldn't know, what i could get away with, etc. etc. Maybe one of the best things I'm getting in sobriety is myself. I matter. I would know. And that's enough.

Great post. 'Grats on 30+

B
Old 07-16-2018, 04:45 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Ditto, never regretted falling asleep sober, but always regretted waking up still drunk.

I caught a very strong whiff of beer tonight, one customer came very close to me to say something and his pint of Estrella was right under my nose. It smelled utterly disgusting. Estrella was always one of my favourite beers, now I can't even bear the smell of it!

Of course a craving pops its head up, still fairly regularly, but I always know I will start that awful treadmill again if I cave. Looking forward to tomorrow for my eighteenth day without a hangover!
Old 07-16-2018, 06:59 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Thanks eyes99
Old 07-17-2018, 01:52 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Well done! I never ever have woken up of a morning wished I had drank the night before x x x
Old 07-18-2018, 09:13 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

It IS great to go to be sober. The 3 a.m. panic attack was becoming a two or three times a week thing, together with heartburn, which, as you know, makes you think you're having a heart attack. In fact, the last one made me feel so weird that I thought there is no buzz from wine that is worth this "Am I going to die" feeling. I love going to bed sober, and I ADORE sleeping all the way through the night and waking up clear-headed, refreshed, and ready for a great cup of coffee. It kind of comforts me to know I'm not the only one that was affected that way. Congratulations on your recovery and thanks for sharing!
Old 07-19-2018, 07:47 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

I’m so glad! I’m working on my gratitude - I thought I was a pretty grateful person before, but I was wrong. There are so many gifts, big and little, that I’ve noticed since seriously starting the process of getting sober.

As for triggers - everything was a trigger for me. Every change in emotion, going from sad to happy or vice versa, had been marked by taking a drink. Celebration? Drink. Bored? Drink. Angry? Repeat. It had become muscle memory to reach for alcohol once evening hit. I’m noticing now that I can recognize the emotional triggers, but I’m still having some difficulty recognizing the physical ones. I think I get cravings when my blood sugar is low too. A couple of times now, it was touch and go, but then I ate something, not even sweets, and I felt much better. I’m going to talk to my doc about that.

Another sober day in the bag for me. Goodnight everyone and onwards we go!
Here is what I have learned about myself: Chief among the ingrained beliefs (corrupted thinking) that contribute to addictions are, “I should be perfect and perfection is possible; I should be all-powerful controlling myself and others;​ I should always get what I want and life should be without pain and require little or no effort.” The simple truth is that life will never be easy, fair and painless. We are never going to always get what we want. Intellectually, we may know this, but emotionally...not so much. The problem is, that the addictive personality believes that life should be easy, fair and painless! When we allow ourselves to think in this, "entitled," fashion, we lower our threshold to adversity, to feeling frustrated, helpless and overwhelmed. If we insist on avoiding emotional pain, on being comfortable all the time, we will seek ways to avoid reality, to escape our negative mood. With respect to addictive thinking, this type of corrupted belief system is the very core of addictive thinking and can lead to a, "Quick fix or mood changer," of drugs and or other errant behaviors, all designed to change the way we feel emotionally.
​​
Old 07-19-2018, 08:04 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Why for me? Why did I drink to excess?

I could say sexually abused as a teenager, I was a foster child and lost my parents at age 12, that I’ve made bad choices with men, because I’m stressed, because I’m happy, blah blah blah blah.

I LIKED it!!! I liked the initial buzz. I LOVED the escape from reality.

Why quit? It’s selfish, stupid and wrong on so many levels. Self loathing. Headaches. Nausea. Weird abdominal pain. Expense. Shame.

Why quit? Because I want to be free. Free from all the above. The addiction. Because I LOVE waking up sober and going to bed sober and the feeling of freedom and pride MORE than the high my brain and body grew to need.

Wonderful thread.

Thanks!!
Old 07-21-2018, 04:59 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

And honestly, I have never, ever regretted going to bed sober. I was laying there reflecting on that last night. I don’t miss the spins, the foul alcohol smell, the faint nausea, the beginning of the headache that will just grow while I’m sleeping. I don’t miss the 3am anxiety attack, the horrible crazy dreams. I don’t miss the incredible sweating, the funkiness of which would sometimes keep me awake for the rest of the night.
I completely agree. One thing I've noticed from reading these forums is that one of the absolute worst aspects about problem drinking is the how it affects sleep. The whole passing out drunk, then waking up hours later sweaty, sick and panicky--and staying that way the rest of the night. It's absolute HELL, and to think we did that to ourselves! Thank God we finally realized that we have a choice here.
Old 07-21-2018, 05:40 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Good morning!! Another sober day under my belt, thank goodness. How is everyone today?
Old 07-21-2018, 06:24 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Good morning!! Another sober day under my belt, thank goodness. How is everyone today?
Good morning eyes, doing well here. It's amazing how much I look forward to the mornings now that I'm sober. I get so much done between 7 and 10 am. The old me absolutely dreaded getting out of bed!
Old 07-21-2018, 06:53 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BrandNewDay11 View Post
Good morning eyes, doing well here. It's amazing how much I look forward to the mornings now that I'm sober. I get so much done between 7 and 10 am. The old me absolutely dreaded getting out of bed!
Yes!!! Unbelievable, isn’t it? We’re playing music and doing light housework over here, sorting toys to donate/keep, replacing lightbulbs and fixing other small things and generally having a good time being together. Before sobriety, I’d be stumbling out of bed now with a headache and an attitude. I would’ve grabbed a cup of coffee then stumbled to the couch, all the while telling the kids to go outside and play because mommy didn’t feel well. It stinks to write that, but it’s the truth. And now my truth has changed, thank God.

Happy saturday!!