SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Sick and tired of being sick and tired (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/430005-sick-tired-being-sick-tired.html)

rustygolf 07-13-2018 09:01 PM

Sick and tired of being sick and tired

Hi. Just found the site. I'm 42 and can't seem to control my drinking, and am at the point of just being mentally exhausted with it all. I've said I was going to quit drinking or cut way back a million times over the last 5 years or so. I will go for a while, then tell myself "see, you don't really have a problem" and go right back to it. Or create some rules that I can't ever stick to. I don't drink everyday, but when I do I always drink to excess. I went out last night for a work function and stayed out with a few other guys late and have been hating it all day today. I left work early and basically came home and took a nap. I'm feeling really low and need to break this cycle. I'm rambling but hoping I might find some support here. Thanks.

Dee74 07-13-2018 09:32 PM

Hi and welcome rustygolf :)

Coming here faily or more than daily, reading other peoples stories, and posting about mine helped me accept I really did have a problem and that change was needed.

SR helped me turn my life around - I know we can help you too :)

D

PaigeMasters 07-13-2018 09:37 PM

Welcome rustygolf! I will tell you that all of what you said above is a great description of me and my drinking. Except I am a few years older than you and mine progressed to daily drinking. It’s great you have made the decision to come here for support. There is lots to be found here. I am only just fininshing up my 11th day but this is the longest I’ve strung together for many years. And you can do it too. It all started with a decision for me. A decision to not drink no matter what and to structure my life around that decision. Coming here supports that decision. Welcome!

Soberwolf 07-13-2018 10:31 PM

Welcome aboard

Bonnefond87 07-13-2018 11:04 PM

Me too Rustygolf. Hating it, hating myself but just carrying on doing it. Freedom from this cycle is there for you and is so worth it.

Berrybean 07-13-2018 11:20 PM

Welcome.

The title of your thread suggests to me that an AA meeting might be a good call for you today. The identification, experience, strength and hope you would find there is likely just what you need to get going.

BB

Rar 07-14-2018 03:50 AM

Welcome Rustygolf. I can't count the number of times I woke up swearing to myself that I had enough and would no longer drink. As the day wore on, I either felt a little better or I began drinking to quell the building anxiety. Either way, my resolve was out the window. One day I resolved to tough it out - and it was really tough for a few days. You sound strong and convinced that you have a problem with alcohol. SR is a wonderful community with wise, nonjudgmental folks. We have all been where you are, so you're not alone. You can do this. Stay close to SR and post as often as you want. Not only will reading and posting pass the time, it will help with the cravings. Hang in there. I'm rooting for you! :grouphug:

zoeydog 07-14-2018 04:32 AM

Rusty and Paige … your story is my story. Today. A morning of commitment that fades over the course of the day, and by 5 p.m. is gone entirely. I'm usually so strong in all other areas of my life, but really struggling to figure this one out. I did Dry January and loved how great I felt -- slept better, sharper at work, happier! I even journaled it every day so I could go back and read for inspiration. But I fell back … Reading everyone's comments here is inspiring. If you can do it, I can do it. Please keep posting!

PalmerSage 07-14-2018 07:11 AM

Hi rustygolf, I can totally relate to your post. What has finally helped me to stay sober for any real length of time is the feeling that I am just SO OVER drinking, it only brought me exhaustion and misery towards the end. Welcome, and I hope reading and posting here will help you the same way it's helped me!

least 07-14-2018 07:14 AM

Welcome to the family. :) I hope our support can help you get sober for good. :)

Gabe1980 07-14-2018 07:26 AM

Hey rustygolf. I have been working my way through my addiction and learning what I need to get and STAY sober. I totally get where your coming from and one thing I do know, is that after a few weeks the fog cleared for me. I had better rountines, better health and a really clear mind. Energy and a feeling of lucidity that I hadn't exerienced before. It was a beautiful thing. Changing is hard but it will be worth it, if you so sick of where you are now. Good luck and best wishes. Gabe x

rustygolf 07-14-2018 07:31 AM

Thanks for the comments all. I'm waking up to a beautiful sunny day, and its day 2.

The fading resolve thing that you guys describe is what I've done countless times. It's so frustrating and I need to do something different this time.

Bird615 07-14-2018 07:43 AM

Welcome to SR, rustygolf!

It sounds like you'll fit right in with the rest of us.

Getting sober is not at all easy--it's one of the toughest things I've ever had to do--but the rewards have been so very much worth it.

Following the AA program is what ultimately saved me and gave me a whole new outlook on life.

Stick with us and you'll find a lot of support and information to help you find a way to get sober too.

thomas11 07-14-2018 08:15 AM

Your road to sobriety can start today. Never have to feel low again from drinking.

J50 07-14-2018 09:18 AM

You can do it! Today is 8 months for me and I was in a similar place. It wasn't rock bottom, but I felt exhausted, and knew I couldn't carry on drinking the way I was. Dee is right. This board is an invaluable resource. The first thing is making the commitment to never drink again. To put your physical, spiritual, and mental health first. After that there are some growing pains, but if you put in the work you will reap all the rewards of being sober.