Notices

48 hours- a little out of sorts but not terrible.

Old 07-25-2018, 08:10 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

48 hours- a little out of sorts but not terrible.

Just wanted to say hello, and thanks to all the great people who post here.

I've been struggling with alcohol issues for a little while, no horror stories like some have shared but not 100% comfortable with my useage and lately looking forward to that end of day drink more and more and sooner and sooner.

Took vacation with a friend last week and we had a great time, lots of fun and lots of laughing but drank every day, not "to excess" but still every day and not waiting till 5 by any means.

Got to feeling pretty rough until those first couple drinks hit and decided finally that's not what I want my life to look like. 48 hours and counting. First day was pretty uncomfortable, shaky, sweaty, haven't been sleeping great but it's a start.

Anyway thanks again really looking forward to getting through this, Matt.
Old 07-25-2018, 08:42 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome! Good for you on your Day 2. Like you, I have no horror stories to share but definitely knew that I was drinking too much and the time had come to put it down before I couldn't put it down. I'm on Day 11 - had some fatigue at the beginning and cut myself some slack in terms of being super productive. Getting better. We can do this!
Old 07-25-2018, 09:04 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks for the reply!

Yeah, the physical stuff hasn't been great but not unbearrable. I had some pretty bad nausea but the sweating and the trembling seem to be abating, hear they can be pretty bad around 72hrs so I'm a little nervous about that.

The hardest step so far was actually comitting to stop. To be honest it terrified me. So much of my routine, good and bad was wrapped around drinking. And I hated the idea of trying and failing which to be honest has happened in the past a few times.

I've been reading about having a plan, rejecting the AV and a lot of things like that on this site and learning a lot.

Plan so far has just been not to drink and/or overtrust a fart.

We'll see how tomorrow ends up!
Old 07-25-2018, 09:19 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome Mattri, push through first few days. Have you consulted a doctor for help with symptoms.
Old 07-25-2018, 09:29 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks Gerard52!

I haven't. I thought about it and decided to give it a whirl and if it were too bad go to a clinic etc.

I've also never had any sympathy for someone with a hangover (myself included) and thought if it weren't bad enough to need medical attention the process could be a little cathartic, something to look back on when the cravings hit.

Again, this has been a long time coming but the decision to pull the trigger was a little spur of the moment, kind of a flying by the seat of your pants thing at the moment.
Old 07-25-2018, 09:40 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I only stopped again a week ago. This time symptoms were a bit more prolonged than before, by day 3 I was physically ok. I was a bit nervous of DTs but thankfully that did not transpire and I think with 1 week in I am in the clear. Apart from that I not needing to go to the toilet and that is a concern.
Old 07-26-2018, 05:06 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Well 72hrs and no major withdrawels, no DTs and the sweating seems to have subsided. Hands are a little shaky but then again they were even when I was a kid so that might just be a thing.

The downside to not drowning things out for even a few days has really started to remind me why I liked the numbness of drinking.

Past mistakes, unfulfilled goals and potential, wrong paths and the ones that got away are so much clearer now. I know it won't make anything better to drink, just like a kid covering themself with a blanket isn't really safe but the dellusion was pretty comfortable.

Good luck guys!
Old 07-26-2018, 05:14 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family Matt. I hope the support here can help you stay sober for good.
Old 07-27-2018, 04:59 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks!

4 days now, honestly couldn't even begin to guess it's been since I went 4 days without a drink.

I wasn't a binge till you blackout drinker, I was a get off work have a few, go do whatever, maybe have another, go home do chores etc but always with a drink or one nearby. By the time I went to bed I had a pretty healthy buzz and would pass right out.

Even active, social things had alcohol, softball anyone? No-one got hammered but we were still drinking every game.

The physical withdrawls seem to be pretty much gone, still fighting the urge, the habbit and the comfort of the buzz.

Weekend starts tomorrow, not going to lie I'm a little nervous.
Old 07-27-2018, 05:26 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

There's support here right across the weekend - log in anytime you need some help mattri

Welcome aboard btw

D
Old 07-27-2018, 06:42 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Post here if you get the urge to drink. Then we can talk you out of it.
Old 07-27-2018, 08:18 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Oh I will!