Notices

How to stay sober in a Wedding ?

Old 07-22-2018, 10:40 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Just to update - I got back from wedding last night. I stayed sober and din't drink. Thanks for all the support.

People were drinking when I got there. Some were just eating and some talking laughing etc....I went straight and a got soda with lime, held that all the time in my hand. Twice somebody came by and asked can I get you a drink or another drink. I politely said no I still have here ...thanks...They went away...

As dark dawned! people were hammered and hammering. I could have been one of them. They danced to every ****** song. I would have done the same thing... ...I was sober and cautious...Ate lots of good food...before it was too late, I said good bye to bride and groom, I guess that's what matters....
Was very nice, UN-eventful, and felt good...

Best part, woke up in the morning hang over free and checked some message boards to read about some drunk fiascos after I had left the wedding. Felt nice that I was not one of them!
Old 07-22-2018, 10:55 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

That's how you do it!
Old 07-22-2018, 01:19 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I was almost 4 months sober when I attended my niece's wedding
Like you I was petrified
I had my hotel room booked so it was great popping up and down any time I needed to get away from it all
That was my escape route
I never thought of drinking to be honest as my family and close friends know I've given it up
It was grand went to bed as soon as it was excusable (waiting on my 9 year old daughter to vacate the dance floor)🤣
Next morning everyone was holding there head in there hands ...my husband and son included ....
I drove home an felt on top of the world

Remember it's only one day
And it will pass
Best of luck
X
Old 07-22-2018, 04:41 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Good for you!
Old 07-22-2018, 10:12 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

At sixty six days I wasn't getting any invitations anywhere. The last one I had was an invitation to leave, and I once got thanked for not coming to an event.

On the one hand, I was well into the AA program so drinking was not a threat. I had only just started the amends process, so most if not all friendships were still in a state of wreckage, hence no invitations.

The thing that would have scared me the most, had I been invited to anything, was my total lack of social skills. I couldn't make small talk, didn't know how. I was not good at expressing my self, and still, with a fair bit of fear in my make up, a simple question like "how are you?" would really put me on the spot because I didn't really know how I was, and there was always the danger that I might tell you and bore the pants of you.

You seem to be in a more advanced state in terms of social skills, so I would use the old and true AA formula, Go or stay away, whatever seems best. But if you are shaky, best to go work with another alcoholic instead.