Notices

Suffering is not an add-on

Old 07-13-2018, 12:49 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Suffering is not an add-on

It's not an accessory or an inconvenience. Suffering is not the result of a mistake, though it can flow from them. Suffering is capricious and the great equalizer.

Suffering is an essential part of life itself.

From stubbed toes to the loss of a child - this life is full of suffering.

What we can do with this knowledge is fortify our selves and our families so that we have the ability to endure the suffering. We can find that the many times that we are not touched by suffering are filled with light, peace, calm and beauty. We can be grateful for love, for relief, for sustenance.

We can only do any of this if we are sober. A drunk makes suffering out of thin air, ruins the wonder that life gifts us, wrecks the chances we have for grace, surety and, even, happiness. It takes work to be sober and to stay sober. But it takes work to do anything of value at all in this life - incredible bridges, meaningful songs, revelatory meals, deep relationships - work, work, work.

I'm so damn grateful to be sober today. To have the ability to properly deal with some painful things recently, and to truly experience some real joys that have come my way. The sufferings and the joys - only sobriety can ensure I get into and through them with grace and gratitude.
Old 07-13-2018, 01:10 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Amen! Great post!!
Old 07-13-2018, 01:23 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Excellent post lessgravity!