Notices

Embarking on a Fresh Start

Old 07-12-2018, 06:52 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Embarking on a Fresh Start

Hi gang. What a great forum to find. I just registered so I will start with a lot of background information that contributed to where I am today which is a raging alcoholic consuming a fifth of vodka per day. Now I don't down this all in one setting, but rather pick at it in a 24 hour period. I drink it straight from the bottle taking 'pulls' here and there from morning when I wake up to night when I go to bed. As a result, I never actually get drunk because it's so spread out and no one in my life knows this happens (prior to last month-see below).

This continuous drinking started about three years ago. Prior to that, I was more of a typical binge weekend drinker. Cocktails and beer, usually. I would get wasted in one setting on a Friday or Saturday with friends and then life would go on after recovering from a wicked hangover. I almost never drank during the week, except on a bowling night which was very moderate; four or five beers over three hours.

I've always heard alcoholism will essentially take five things from you...job, spouse, home, health and freedom.

I finally lost my job and now I'm trying to recover so I don't lose anything else. Note: due to the job loss, I am forced to sell my home, but this is actually a good thing. This house is big but it's a money pit that contributes to my financial woes and a huge source of contention in my marriage. We will make a nice profit on it due to the great economy and housing market so it's probably a very good thing. Also, for what it's worth, I detested by job. I don't want to come off as making any rationalizations or justification for what I did, but I see this as an opportunity to start fresh in life.

My wife and I have been miserable to the last six years stuck in a rut with high stress jobs and constant financial distress despite a high household income. It felt like a cycle that couldn't be broken. We were literally house-poor and clawing paycheck-to-paycheck. Late fees, overdraft charges, collections, threats of utilities being shut off, etc, etc. My indiscretion essentially forced our hand to make changes and break us our of this rut. Again..no excuses! Sometimes things just really do have a silver-lining!

With the home sale, we will be able to pay off all of our debts and start fresh. A new home, new job (eventually) and hopefully a renewed relationship with my wife. I just need to quit drinking and so far, I haven't been able to.

I am here to read all your stories and look forward to going back through existing threads. Misery loves company, right? I believe this is true because you know you're not alone and some people have great insight as to how to deal with the arduous tasks that contribute to any improved life that may have escaped you personally. This is where I am. I DO NOT want to wait for rock bottom to change this.

Thank you all in advance and I look forward the discourse!

Last edited by LippinOff; 07-12-2018 at 06:55 AM. Reason: Minor typos
Old 07-12-2018, 08:05 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to the forums, you will find some great support here. Getting and staying sober is hard work at first, but it will pay huge dividends for the rest of your life.
Old 07-12-2018, 08:16 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I have to say, sobriety is anything BUT misery. However, we do welcome your company.

Welcome to the site.
Old 07-12-2018, 03:20 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by RetiredGuy View Post
Welcome to the forums, you will find some great support here. Getting and staying sober is hard work at first, but it will pay huge dividends for the rest of your life.
Thank you for your gracious welcome. I look forward to it!
Old 07-12-2018, 03:26 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
I have to say, sobriety is anything BUT misery. However, we do welcome your company.

Welcome to the site.
Indeed and perhaps I worded that poorly. I'm still trying to be sober and I presume there are others like me in addition to the majority of folks that have accomplished that already. Sorry for the mischaracterization!
Old 07-13-2018, 01:01 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome
Old 07-13-2018, 01:23 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR LippinOff

D
Old 07-13-2018, 01:45 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi Mate

Welcome. There are many of us in your position. Quitting is hard but achievable.

I promise you if you can get through the first few months it will all get easier and what's more you will discover the man you really are once more.

PS. I'm at day 83 (so still new)
Old 07-13-2018, 07:38 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome. Lots of wisdom and support here. A sober life is a better life, it's just so clear. Get yourself to stop drinking, however you can, and that will become clear to you as well.
Old 07-13-2018, 09:13 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome! I'm glad you found SR, it sounds like you have been under tremendous stress and I'm sure drinking compounded/caused most of it. One common insight I've heard is that many people mistakenly think that drinking is the only solution to their anxiety, but when you quit for any length of time, we sometimes come to realize that it can actually be a main cause. I definitely feel MUCH less miserable and anxious now that I'm sober, that's for sure!