SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Scared :( (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/429926-scared.html)

SisterKiKi 07-12-2018 12:38 AM

Scared :(

Hi All...
This is the first times I've posted here.
I really just needed to talk to someone as I am so scared I can't beat this addiction. I feel really anxious & teary. I only started drinking 6 years ago when I was 48 & now I don't seem to be able to stop.
I hope someone can talk.

Dee74 07-12-2018 01:06 AM

Hi and welcome Sister Kiki - it's a bit of a quiet time of the day here but rest assured there are always people around to talk to.

I was a hard drinker for 20 years - ended up drinking all day every day.

over ten years ago I found this place and the people here helped me turn my life around.

I know we can help you too :)

D

Seren 07-12-2018 01:23 AM

Good morning, SisterKiKi,

I just wanted to say Welcome to SR! You have found a great place for support :)

Meraviglioso 07-12-2018 02:05 AM

Hello and welcome to the site. I think all of us here can relate to that feeling of being scared. It is so overwhelming to finally start to address the problem and quit. But it is such a wise choice and absolutely can be done. The fear fades as you put more and more sober days behind you. I hope you will post often as there is a lot of support here.

Trelkovsky 07-12-2018 03:11 AM

Welcome Kiki. Signing up here was a smart thing to do. Alot of nice people with plenty of knowledge of what you are going through here. Good luck to you. You can do it.

Ladysadie 07-12-2018 03:33 AM

Welcome Sisterkiki. You're never alone when you come to SR. Glad you've posted, we can all relate to what you're feeling.

january161992 07-12-2018 04:16 PM

keep in mind ...

its the 1st drink that gets us drunk not the 20th

we cant get drunk without that 1st drink

our choice is between miserable unhappy drunken drinking and all the consequences

or

not taking 1 drink

God bless

Obladi 07-12-2018 04:21 PM

Hi KiKi, I also drank heavily for six years and was scared. I'm 56 and just got a month of sobriety with seemingly little effort, but a lot of attention. My wish for you is that you use this forum and other supports to help you accomplish your goal in much less time than I did!

Welcome.

O

Anna 07-12-2018 04:32 PM

It's very scary to think of stopping drinking but you can do it. Have faith that you can do this.

SisterKiKi 07-12-2018 04:43 PM

THANKYOU all for your support. I know I can do this. Had none last night. But! Had the worst post drinking anxiety. I just never want to go through that again so will try my hardest to beat this.

Dee74 07-12-2018 05:21 PM

Its great you got though last night SisterKiki - well done :c014:

D

least 07-12-2018 05:33 PM

The after drinking anxiety got me started drinking in the morning. :( Only way to get free of it was to stop completely. The first week or so of quitting can be rough, but if you stay sober, you'll never have to go thru it again. :)

I hope you'll take advantage of the great support and wisdom here and get sober for good. :hug:

Verdantia 07-12-2018 06:16 PM

Hey, SisterKiKi. You can do this! I just turned 58 yesterday and have 2.5 years of sobriety. I didn't think I could get and stay sober, but the great support of the people here at SR has been a vital part of my recovery. Please stick around, read, develop a sobriety plan and post often. I thought I was helpless and hopeless but I was very wrong. Wishing you all the best on your sober journey.

PhoenixJ 07-13-2018 12:55 AM

Welcome SK. I spent most of my sleepless nights in early recovery trawling a lot of threads at SR...from people's stories, to strategies, tools, plans, daily newcomer's threads...The more I posted, the more I got out of it..it has been an integral and daily part of my ongoing (lifelong) recovery- along with regular meetings and professional support.

Support to you.

POST LOTS!!

lessgravity 07-13-2018 07:38 AM

Hey welcome and how are you today?

ChloeRose63 07-13-2018 07:53 AM

Welcome to SR, SisterKiKi,
Lots of support here. Just take it one day at a time. If you have to one hour at a time to commit to not picking up that first drink. Drink lots of water and get some rest. Post often to get you thru the rough spots. We are here for you.

apollo986 07-13-2018 08:08 AM

Glad you found the SR Kiki! You'll find support and comfort in abundance.