Notices

Glamorization of drinking in pop culture

Old 07-10-2018, 03:26 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Maybe I'm being sanctimonious .. but maybe it's not atypical to go through this in your early months of not drinking? If you don't, it would be too easy, for me anyway, to start thinking it's ok again myself.

Sanctimony is not a prerequisite for sobriety.
Old 07-10-2018, 04:53 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by tealily View Post
(just to clarify the last several paragraphs are quoted from an article! Not all my words

I tried to edit but something happened!)
Its OK to attribute the author and the site in a non clickable way

I think your concerns are valid TL. Each to their own for sure but I see many memes, bluntcards, whatever that aren't glamorizing the occasional single glass of wine, they're glamorizing regular drinking and often drinking to excess.

No one - not even normies - should be doing that.

D
Old 07-11-2018, 05:06 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I agree with you, Dee. Because alcohol is a drug which is legal, widely socially acceptable and so easy to get hold of it is dangerous to encourage drinking too much. I've learned to just ignore these memes, even when I was a drinker at my worst points I found the wine and mother jokes and merchandise idiotic.

On Facebook friends of mine who were mothers would make a status pretty much debating to have a drink and their friends would reply "ooh, of course, make it a double...or the whole bottle lolz!" Then the onslaught of all these 'hilarious' memes. I just found it all a bit silly and immature and promptly unfollowed so I didn't have to see it. You're an adult for goodness sake, if you want a glass of wine then bloody have one without announcing it to the world, you're not twelve years old!

One thing about drinking in films and TV shows is how rarely they accurately portray a hangover. Usually the character wakes up looking pretty fresh faced apart from the messy hair. Clutch their head and moan like a southern belle then be right as rain and looking ready for a catwalk show after a shower and a cup of coffee. Pfft, when I was hungover, which was basically every day, I looked such a fright I would have terrified Satan himself!

But like everything else I find irritating in life I find a way to take it with a pinch of salt and ignore it. Although I totally see where you are coming from if you hate the cutesy drinking pop culture
Old 07-11-2018, 07:55 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I was a normie once and got elevated to alcohol. I don't like that anyone is being brainwashed into thinking that drinking will fix them.