Notices

New Here

Old 07-10-2018, 06:07 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New Here

Hi everyone, I am new here. My husband and I have been together for 20 years, married for 12 and the past 5 years or so he has abused alcohol. On St. Patricks Day things got bad and I thought it was his rock bottom. However, I have been finding alcohol lately. I am really struggling with it and don't really know how to handle all this. We have 3 kiddos. My oldest is 7 and my twins are 5. They were part of his rock bottom and witnessed more than they should of. I just don't know what to do.
Old 07-10-2018, 06:17 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi, serenity38.

I think you will find many people who have been in similar situations here.

Welcome to the site.
Old 07-10-2018, 06:22 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hello, and welcome to SR! I'm sorry for what brings you here.

There is a lot going on for you right now and you need to prioritize for yours and your children's safety. If you and them aren't safe, you need to get someplace and with people that will assist you.

Your turning to drinking is something that can be stopped. Why have you started drinking (or drinking more?) If it's because of your current situation with your husband, that is a major concern going forward. It's a downhill battle and may keep getting worse if you don't stop it now.

If his drinking is the catalyst for the upsetting situation you are in, is it something you can discuss with him? Does he want to get his drinking under control (or quit?). If you can't even talk to him about it when he's sober, then communication is not existent anymore.

Change is hard, and if he isn't invested in you and his children because his addiction is more important, a drastic change might be necessary.

Keep posting here, there is a ton of knowledge and experience here. If you have anybody in your real life you can confide in, you need all the support you can get right now.

Keep us updated and please stay safe.
Old 07-10-2018, 07:14 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. We have a friends and family forum too, you might want to take a look at it.
Old 07-10-2018, 08:00 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome, serenity. I was in a long-term relationship with an alcoholic for quite some time myself, and for a long time it obscured my own toxic relationship with alcohol. I'm glad you're here, and I am anxious to hear more about your journey.