Notices

dazed and scared

Old 07-09-2018, 12:18 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

dazed and scared

this feels overwhelming already and iv only just registered. I know im a complete functioning drinker. Addiction is all ive know since I were 13, im now 48. I just switch addiction as I go. Im currently controlling an eating disorder and prescription (plus non-prescription sedation drugs) addiction. Now ive switched back to alcohol. a bottle of spirits a day, I can drink.

I have two best friends in life. Mr Food and Mrs Alcohol, no one human.

I function fantastic, won awards for my work and commitment to my job.

I should have taken up acting, because im amazing at it. No one as a clue that im an hermit outside of my work, and the self destruction I do.

Im two different people inside my job and outside of it.

I dont know if im in the right place, here I mean
Old 07-09-2018, 12:42 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I'm glad you're here; you're in the right place. This is where you can start to make changes for the better. There is a great life outside of addiction. Make today the day you start to live it!
Old 07-09-2018, 12:53 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Welcome 1997, and you are definitely in the right place. I started drinking about the same age as you and I didn't quit until I was in my 40's. Drinking also definted my life for decades, and while it was hard at first I did quit. My life now is far better than I could have imagined when I was drinking, it could be for you too.

If you've been drinking that much for that long, it is advisable to seek some medical/detox assistance from a trained individual. Detox can be anywhere from irritiating to downright dangerous, so it's better to be safe than sorry. The good news is that the worst of it is always over in a matter of days. Then you can move on t o getting better in other areas of your life.
Old 07-09-2018, 01:02 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Please keep reading, there are many resources and shared stories on SR that will surely speak to you. There is nothing that you are going through that you won't find comrades who are or have been in a similar fight. If you found SR you are reaching out. you will find much support here, as well as the honesty you receive. I don't always like what I hear but I know it's meant with the best intentions. Please hang out with us!
Old 07-09-2018, 01:16 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Yes. You've come to a good place.
If we cut out what we're addicted to without a program of recovery, chances are we will continue with our old addictive thinking and behaviours and many of us switch addictions.

Have you considered a recovery program? AA and OA spring to mind.
When our recovery is strong then we don't need to rely on those old crutches any more. We can learn to live life, hapoy and fulfilled without using stuff, whether that stuff be alcohol, food, sex, compulsive shopping, gambling, drugs (prescribed or illegal), or relationships. There is hope. You can step out of this vortex.

BB
Old 07-09-2018, 01:22 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. You've come to a good place for support. I hope we can help you get sober for good.
Old 07-09-2018, 02:11 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi 1997 - I'm so glad you've joined us.

I drank 30 yrs. Posting & reading here at SR helped me find the courage to change my life. You're no longer alone.
Old 07-09-2018, 03:01 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Alcohol and acting

Hi 1997,
I completely get the acting comment. I've often thought about it, as I have a very responsible job and no one (that I know of) knows about my drinking home life (my former drinking life, I'm happy to say).

But being on this site and listening to the stories at my AA meeting, I've learned that alcohol makes actors out of many of us - you're definitely not alone! Keep coming back here!
Old 07-09-2018, 04:29 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 1997 View Post
I function fantastic, won awards for my work and commitment to my job.

Im two different people inside my job and outside of it.
Take your work home with you, show even more commitment and fill the void at home with something positive!
Old 07-09-2018, 04:48 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome 1997
be prepared to find some real human friends here.

I'm glad you found us. There really is life after addiction

D