Notices

Step 3

Old 07-08-2018, 04:31 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Step 3

I'm so anxious and indecisive right now. I start a new job tomorrow- I'm excited to have money and structure, but I'm also terrified of being too stressed and tired to go to meetings, or worse, being so stressed and tired that I take a drink. I don't really think that'll happen tho.

I feel like I haven't found my niche in AA yet, but I'm doing service work and reaching out to other alcoholics so what can I do?

I'm lonely but I want to be alone. I'm restless and wanna stay up all night but also wanna go to bed now.

I just got onto Step 3....so I guess this means I need to stop playing God, stop trying to control everything and turn my will and life over to the care of God.

Any guidance would be appreciated
Old 07-08-2018, 05:36 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I'm not an avid AA'er and have never formally taken the steps,but your understanding of it is about where I went with it in regards to my life. It's true we have no control,except the control of our own actions. It's very freeing when we're not trying to 'fix' the world and everyone/thing in it. I was having a real difficult time with the weather. LOL Congrats on the new job and don't 'future trip' on drinking. Stay sober in the present. Way easier to do that.
Old 07-08-2018, 07:19 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

So take a deep breath. You're starting a new job. It's normal to be anxious.

Take a small bite of what's on your plate. Try to sleep. Start your job. Trust that they hired you because you are capable. Look online tomorrow and find a meeting after work. Go.

The rest is your addiction trying to freak you out. One next right action at a time.
Old 07-09-2018, 04:15 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
AA Member

Originally Posted by bringmeback7693 View Post
I just got onto Step 3....so I guess this means I need to stop playing God, stop trying to control everything and turn my will and life over to the care of God.

Any guidance would be appreciated
will = thinking and choices
life = actions and what we actually do

in classic aa we do the next right thing (applying good morals and ethics) with whats right in front of us and leave the results up to God

its much more about acceptance of whats already there and less about trying to find some new grand plan for our lives