Notices

Relapse.. Relapse... Relapse

Old 07-07-2018, 06:46 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Relapse.. Relapse... Relapse

Seems to be everywhere lately.

As the saying goes "relapse doesn't have to be a part of your recovery".

Relapse honestly scares me sober. The last place/ feelings I want to have are those of guilt, shame, danger and disappointment.

Not to mention re starting my counter sounds exhausting. The first 3 months of sobriety, I never want to be there again. It was the longest 3 month's of my life filled with anxiety, insomnia, brain fog, sleepiness when I needed to be awake, over eating, not exercising, emotionally unstable and shame of thinking of everything I had done wasted.

I've come so far that going backwards sounds terrible.

I love me again, I say again as if at 1 point I actually loved myself. When I haven't ever loved myself until now.
I'm comfortable with who I am becoming
I enjoy learning how to be a better person
Getting over the trauma to be able to have healthy relationships in the future.

Relapse isn't an option for me.

Relapse doesn't have to be an option for you either.
PAWS
HALT
having a plan
Phoning a friend /sponsor
Playing the tape forward
Journaling
Removing toxicity
Learning / growing
Controlling emotions - the drinking emotions (they lie)- telling that AV where to go
Posting here, listening to the old timers, taking in the advice and actually putting action to the advice.

Relapse stories help keep me sober. While I understand there will always be people who relapse, I just hope for you, just for today you choose to remain sober. It's not easy but nothing worth a damn is easy. If it were none of us would be here to help each other.

If you relpased and care to share here what went wrong, I'm here to offer you support and are many other's.
It's summer in the US right now, which I know can be a challenge for people with the nice weather, boating, BBQ and so on. But none of those things are more important than your recovery. You'll get to a point where you are better prepared for those events, the early days are not the time to test those water's. The sunny day's and patios will be there next year or 10 years from now. Your recovery is #1, not what people think of you, not how other people feel about you not drinking or going to the wedding or bachelor party, or why you're not around anymore. Once you're secure within your recovery you'll benefit from the hard work you've put in and things/people /places will most likely change as you'll have clarity.

I wish you the best and have a great day.
Old 07-07-2018, 06:48 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Ocean Lover!

Well said DC x
Old 07-07-2018, 08:30 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Plenty of reasons, plenty of opportunities but it's just not an option here.

Thanks for the post.
Old 07-07-2018, 11:47 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Wonderful post, dream catcher. I greatly fear the idea of relapse as well. I may as well write off years of my life before I’d find the strength to quit again. And at that point, it’d be because my life was a disaster I’d assume. Ugh.
Old 07-07-2018, 04:09 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks for the post

Day 40 today for me. Northern Illinois and the Fourth of July was challenging, especially being around a bunch of people that were drinking on the Fourth of July .

One guest who was so inebriated, and tipsy, we sat down at a restaurant and I ordered iced tea and so did two other people out of the seven .

She looked at the three of us and said “you are so boring!“

I felt for her, knowing this could have been my attitude the previous 25 Fourth of July’s .

In my head I said “oh my gosh what a fool you are!“

But I said, “okay”😂😍

And stayed ‘boring’
Old 07-07-2018, 04:14 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

relapse, relapse relapse and is all bad worst and terrible. thats relapse for me things just go from bad to unreliable horrible. i don't know who i am anymore i had destroy my life willy nilly so sad.
Old 07-07-2018, 04:19 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I feel sorry for people who call those who are not drinking 'boring'.
Old 07-07-2018, 04:34 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

My drinking life was unbelievably boring - it was so boring I had to drink to get through it.

My sober life is definitely not

D
Old 07-07-2018, 06:31 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Well said Dee!!
Old 07-07-2018, 11:29 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

What does the PAWS acronym stand for? I know HALT from AA but not familiar with this one. I have seen this referenced on thi site and am curious. Thanks in advance!
Old 07-08-2018, 02:54 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

PAWS is post acute withdrawal syndrome. Thanks so much for this post. It stopped me drinking yesterday and gave me something to work with. It made me realize what I was going through was normal. It seems like there is a tough two and a half months ahead.
Old 07-08-2018, 03:51 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sweetichick View Post
PAWS is post acute withdrawal syndrome. Thanks so much for this post. It stopped me drinking yesterday and gave me something to work with. It made me realize what I was going through was normal. It seems like there is a tough two and a half months ahead.
I want to cry, a good cry. I am so happy you stopped yesterday Sweetie!!! I'm glad what I wrote touched you in some way, that's the best part of my recovery and the best situation I have had throughout my entire journey!
Blessings,
DC