SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   I'm not going to stop trying (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/429747-im-not-going-stop-trying.html)

Mummyto2 07-07-2018 02:15 AM

I'm not going to stop trying

I can't read my last post as I was drunk when I wrote it

Gottalife 07-07-2018 02:44 AM

Glad you are back Mummy. My last drink was on a Saturday night some time, and I remember the next morning quite well. Something had changed.

I got up to answer the phone. It was an AA friend, Danny, checking to see how I was. I had been AWOL a few days. I told him about my drinking and I can still hear the gentle way he said "I thought that might happen" He is a cockney, so I remember the accent.

It was pretty amazing that he even called. No one else ever did from my drinking circle. Anyway, that last bender finally convinced me that I was a fully qualified candidate for alcoholics anonymous, and that it was going to take more than just a couple of AA meetings if I was to have any hope of recovery.

The program itself had already been explained to me prior to my first meeting. It's just that there were parts that I didn't like and would sooner avoid if I could. My last bender changed my thinking on that.

You probably heard that AA has promises but perhaps don't know that they have both good and bad promises. That is to say promises about the good things that will happen if I follow a certain course of action, and promises about the bad things that would happen if I didn't.

Experience had convinced me of the validity of the bad promises, so I really began to pay attention. The good promises didn't mean much at that point because they were mostly beyond my experience.

After talking to Danny I made it to the Sunday night meeting, and began to show some real commitment. I soon found a sponsor and got stated on the steps. My life began to change, and I got the feeling I was on the right track at last.

The other striking thing to me, looking back is that though there was much about the program I didn't like, I understood even less. It didn't matter. Maybe it was stupid of me not to challenge everything, but I followed suggestions as they became apparent to me, and the understanding came in every case as the result of the action.

The end result of trying a way other than my own, was permanent recovery, and a good life.

August252015 07-07-2018 02:48 AM

Glad you are staying with us Mummy. Agree with what Mike said, as I often do.

What are your plans for today?

BDTL 07-07-2018 02:52 AM

Originally Posted by Gottalife (Post 6947595)
Glad you are back Mummy. My last drink was on a Saturday night some time, and I remember the next morning quite well. Something had changed.

I got up to answer the phone. It was an AA friend, Danny, checking to see how I was. I had been AWOL a few days. I told him about my drinking and I can still hear the gentle way he said "I thought that might happen" He is a cockney, so I remember the accent.

It was pretty amazing that he even called. No one else ever did from my drinking circle. Anyway, that last bender finally convinced me that I was a fully qualified candidate for alcoholics anonymous, and that it was going to take more than just a couple of AA meetings if I was to have any hope of recovery.

The program itself had already been explained to me prior to my first meeting. It's just that there were parts that I didn't like and would sooner avoid if I could. My last bender changed my thinking on that.

You probably heard that AA has promises but perhaps don't know that they have both good and bad promises. That is to say promises about the good things that will happen if I follow a certain course of action, and promises about the bad things that would happen if I didn't.

Experience had convinced me of the validity of the bad promises, so I really began to pay attention. The good promises didn't mean much at that point because they were mostly beyond my experience.

After talking to Danny I made it to the Sunday night meeting, and began to show some real commitment. I soon found a sponsor and got stated on the steps. My life began to change, and I got the feeling I was on the right track at last.

The other striking thing to me, looking back is that though there was much about the program I didn't like, I understood even less. It didn't matter. Maybe it was stupid of me not to challenge everything, but I followed suggestions as they became apparent to me, and the understanding came in every case as the result of the action.

The end result of trying a way other than my own, was permanent recovery, and a good life.

Keep coming back because it works if ya work it. :scoregood Great advice Mike and Mummy I like your never give up attitude because one day you are going to whup this thing. Keep believing and you can do it! :c011:

Jjb2018 07-07-2018 02:52 AM

Im glad u didnt give up

Dee74 07-07-2018 02:58 AM

good to have you back :)

D

ps no one said anything bad to you :)

Mummyto2 07-07-2018 03:04 AM

Thank you, just found 2 beers from last night, I threw them down the sink

yinzer 07-07-2018 03:31 AM

Good job Mummy. Welcome back.

trytorun 07-07-2018 03:38 AM

I'm glad you are back! You can do this!

gatorman 07-07-2018 03:47 AM

Welcome back...you can do this!

Obladi 07-07-2018 03:57 AM

Good job tossing the beers out. Glad you're back.

Caralara144 07-07-2018 04:04 AM

I'm really rooting for you mummy ...
I know exactly how you feel
It's hard but it is achievable
Big giant hugs
We can do this
Cara❤

thomas11 07-07-2018 04:07 AM

Good job. Never stop trying.

Behappy1 07-07-2018 04:48 AM

Originally Posted by Mummyto2 (Post 6947579)
I can't read my last post as I was drunk when I wrote it

Sorry to LOL Mummy, but I’ve been there too!! Go read it! You said nothing bad and “I” couldn’t tell you were drunk. I can’t tell you how many times I was terrified to look @ my texts or possible facebook posts from a drunken night. Sometimes I was mortified, other times I dodged the bullet. Go read it! Lots of good helpful info in that thread!

Nonsensical 07-07-2018 04:50 AM

I love reading good news first thing in the morning! :tyou

tomsteve 07-07-2018 05:00 AM

I'm not going to stop trying

THAT is very detrimental. many great discoveries occur because the scientists didnt stop trying.

ScottFromWI 07-07-2018 05:03 AM

Welcome back Mummy. What do you think you can do differently today to make sure what happened last night doesn’t happen again?

biminiblue 07-07-2018 05:04 AM

Big congrats on getting back at it, Mummy. You'll get this thing. :hug:

Numblady 07-07-2018 05:07 AM

Wonderful news! I have to agree I thought your posts in the other thread were fine. A little truncated maybe but you got some really good advice in response. If you get in a little better place consider reading the responses because they were very encouraging. Maybe when you need some encouragement. Hugs to you!! What’s on tap today and tomorrow for sober weekend?

Rar 07-07-2018 05:23 AM

Good news Mummy! I'm glad you're back. I've had my share of relapses and during those times felt that I'm just not strong enough to continue to fight the AV, so I understand. I reckon most of us do. You had some great responses on your other thread Mummy and as Numblady suggests, maybe you'll want to read them. Lots of folks are in your corner and we're all here for you. You can do this. :grouphug: