Notices

What to say

Old 07-06-2018, 04:24 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

When I stopped drinking nearly 7 years ago, I faced the same questions and inquisitions about why I was stopping alcohol.

I will say, it gets easier the longer you stay stopped. The questions get less and less.

I never want to announce my status as an alcoholic either.
I saw that it was my battle and I would fight it as I saw fit.
That way was quietly and without drama.

I told people at the start I had wanted to give up for a month as a challenge to see if I could do it.

When I got to 1 month, I said I was extending it to 6 months, then 1 year and here I am 7 years later never regretting a moment.
My reasons for extending the time ranged from I slept so much better. I had less anxiety, I saved money and I could go on and on.

I have never further than this.
It is my business.

If someone did get really pushy, I would say I was going to leave the party/meal/event if they continued to pester me.
It never happened thank goodness.

I should imagine the people who question want to know all the gossip.

Its none of their business and as I said to a few people 'stop sticking your beak in'.

I wish you the best xx
Old 07-06-2018, 04:46 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
If things get really rough tell her that her drinking and drunken behaviour inspired you to stop - that oughta do it

D
Love it!
Old 07-06-2018, 04:48 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sasha4 View Post
When I stopped drinking nearly 7 years ago, I faced the same questions and inquisitions about why I was stopping alcohol.

I will say, it gets easier the longer you stay stopped. The questions get less and less.

I never want to announce my status as an alcoholic either.
I saw that it was my battle and I would fight it as I saw fit.
That way was quietly and without drama.

I told people at the start I had wanted to give up for a month as a challenge to see if I could do it.

When I got to 1 month, I said I was extending it to 6 months, then 1 year and here I am 7 years later never regretting a moment.
My reasons for extending the time ranged from I slept so much better. I had less anxiety, I saved money and I could go on and on.

I have never further than this.
It is my business.

If someone did get really pushy, I would say I was going to leave the party/meal/event if they continued to pester me.
It never happened thank goodness.

I should imagine the people who question want to know all the gossip.

Its none of their business and as I said to a few people 'stop sticking your beak in'.

I wish you the best xx
Thank you. 7 years is amazing! I hope to get there myself!
Old 07-06-2018, 05:25 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

If things get really rough tell her that her drinking and drunken behaviour inspired you to stop - that oughta do it

D[/QUOTE]

Man I like that Dee!
Old 07-06-2018, 11:41 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

After my DUI 3.5 years ago, I quit drinking but still hung out with my aunt’s happy hour crew. I remember the first night I ordered a water...it was this giant show, my aunt pretended to yell to the entire city that I was drinking water, it was so embarrassing. They were the only people i knew in town though, so I still went out with them, and just started discreetly asking the bartender or server for mixers in a regular drink glass. No one had to know there wasn’t vodka or whiskey in them. The fact that i drew more attention by NOT drinking was not lost on me. I totally saw how sad that was.

I recently saw the same aunt, who once pretended to shout from the rooftops that I was drinking water. I was drinking only cranberry juice when I saw her this time, ironically at the same bar. I told her the truth...I’d gone way over the top and was taking an indefinite break from drinking until further notice. She “cheers’ed” my cran juice with me, and asked no more questions. I’m so glad I didn’t try to play more games with ordering mixers under the table. I would just be honest about it!!