Notices

35 days sober

Old 07-05-2018, 12:49 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

35 days sober

This is the most continuous sober time I have put together in more than 25 years. I started going to AA for the first time and enjoy the meetings. Sill trying to figure out what I'm doing. I don't have any desire to drink, but I'm not naive to think that a relapse isn't lurking. I have read many posts on here in the past but was never really serious in wanting to stop drinking.

I'm was one of those high-functioning alcoholics. I have a family and good job. I didn't want to believe that I had an alcohol problem and din't think I had any business going to AA. One day I woke up from a particularly bad hangover and thought to myself, "I'm done with this nonsense". I had been drinking on a daily basis for the past 10 years or so.

I have been on this site everyday for the past 35 days and it has helped me to stay sober. Thanks.
Old 07-05-2018, 12:52 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Congrats on thirty five days!
Old 07-05-2018, 12:53 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Glad you are here! Since you've started AA, have you thought about getting a sponsor? Around here, we often see temporary sponsors so that you can get started with the steps. You can do this!
Old 07-05-2018, 12:54 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Congrats mc. Welcome to SR. 35 days is a real achievement.
Old 07-05-2018, 12:54 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. 35 days sober is a great start. I hope our support, along with AA, can help you achieve lasting sobriety.
Old 07-05-2018, 12:59 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks to everyone for the well wishes. In my short time in recovery, it has been comforting to know that so many folks share the same problem. I had become so isolated over the past few years with drinking. It is just refreshing to share my thoughts, fears, etc. I have a temporary sponsor and we are supposed to get together this weekend for the first time.
Old 07-05-2018, 01:09 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Congrats on 35 days! It's exciting when you pass your old no drinking record and wake up everyday knowing this is the longest you've had in years sober. It doesn't get old. It's so lovely waking up without a hangover everyday. I enjoy my time in AA. My temporary sponsor turned into my regular sponsor and I'm on step 6. The real change of heart came when I realized how harmful my lack of spirituality was to me. I've always been very anti religion but coming to terms with the fact I need to believe in something was hard but freeing. Congrats again <3
Old 07-05-2018, 04:08 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by mcconnth2017 View Post
This is the most continuous sober time I have put together in more than 25 years. I started going to AA for the first time and enjoy the meetings. Sill trying to figure out what I'm doing. I don't have any desire to drink, but I'm not naive to think that a relapse isn't lurking. I have read many posts on here in the past but was never really serious in wanting to stop drinking.

I'm was one of those high-functioning alcoholics. I have a family and good job. I didn't want to believe that I had an alcohol problem and din't think I had any business going to AA. One day I woke up from a particularly bad hangover and thought to myself, "I'm done with this nonsense". I had been drinking on a daily basis for the past 10 years or so.

I have been on this site everyday for the past 35 days and it has helped me to stay sober. Thanks.
Congratulations! When your values trump your addiction, there is no addiction! What's the difference between an addict and a non addict? The non addict regains control over overwhelming issues not by empowering himself with a quick fix or mood changer of chemicals, but instead some other empowering high value behavior.
Recognize: You are tired of being hungover
Reframe: The pros and cons of sobriety
Replace: Replace the displaced behavior with direct healthy behavior.
Old 07-05-2018, 04:51 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to the posting side of things, mcconnth

D
Old 07-05-2018, 05:12 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Rar

Welcome to SR. 35 days is awesome. Congratulations on all those sober days! Looking forward to getting to know you. .