Notices

The struggle is real

Old 07-04-2018, 11:43 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

The struggle is real

Hey new member here, I'm 20 hours sober, and have been to my first aa meeting today. To be honest I'm scared , why do I feel like I have lost someone dear to me.
Old 07-04-2018, 11:49 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome Kimbo

yeah it is scary but people feel scared when they leave abusive relationships, and hostages can have Stockholm syndrome....

give yourself a little time and you see that quitting drinking and building a new sober life is the best thing you can do for yourself

You'll find a ton of support here

D
Old 07-04-2018, 11:53 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Kimbo and welcome, I also felt like quitting was losing an old friend. I mourned its loss but that feeling passed as I moved forward.
Old 07-05-2018, 12:09 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I just finished day two and I know exactly what you mean... I do know it gets better though. It’s amazing how much we feel without the substances. It’s kinda scary for me too. Hang in there- I am going through the same thing.
Old 07-05-2018, 06:00 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I cried when I had to throw out all the alcohol, all the wine glasses in my house. It felt like losing a lover. I totally get that feeling.

I'm at 67 days sober, and I've actually had some really good moments in sobriety so far. I've had a couple days where I'm like "this is great. I feel really genuinely happy, and I don't miss drinking at all."

Then other days, like the 4th of July, I think "god, I wish I could just have a cold beer right now."

But its never A beer. It's never A glass of wine. It's 4, or 6, or 15. It never ends. I can't drink like other people do and I have to accept that.

A life of drinking isn't a life worth living for me. So I stay sober.

Keep posting here!
Old 07-05-2018, 08:56 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi Kimbo, I’m also 1 day in and yes, I think a sense of loss is to be expected. Mr beer and mr brandy have been lifelong companions of mine and it’ll be strange not to have them around anymore. But that’s ok, I know it’ll take time but they’ll fade and their loss will be replaced with something more real.
Best of luck to you.
Old 07-06-2018, 10:05 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
AA Member

Originally Posted by kimbo80 View Post
and have been to my first aa meeting today.
great demonstration of willingness

how are you today kimbo80 ?

Old 07-06-2018, 11:24 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome Kimbo! 20 hours is great!
Old 07-06-2018, 11:39 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hey Kimbo

I was scared in the beginning too, l put off getting sober because of lots of reasons including - l don't know who l am sober and finding out is going to suck, l don't want to stop my partner from drinking if they want too just because l can't, they will think I'm boring and leave me. I couldnt even drink out of the glass l used for spritzers (normal tumbler) because l was scared too. I could never be one of those people that has mocktails and "pretends" to drink that worries me too much. Being scared takes up so much time and energy l got sick of it and decided l might be worth getting sober for. It turns out lm quite an ok person sober, my partner doesn't mind not drinking because l can't, unfortunately though l think lm a bit boring lol.

Sometimes being scared is a good thing, hang on in there and best of luck
Old 07-06-2018, 02:58 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Rar

Hi Kimbo. Welcome to SR. Quitting is a little scary, but the more sober time you have, you'll become more comfortable and every day you'll find new reasons to be glad you've chosen sobriety. Stay close to SR and read and post as much as you can. It will help and reinforce your commitment to remain alcohol free. You can do this. You're not alone.