SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   A Different Path (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/429645-different-path.html)

tootsl1 07-04-2018 11:11 PM

Be strong in your faith, my friend. I hope you know what you mean to me. X

Gilmer 07-05-2018 02:16 AM

Thank you, Aly. :hug:

Gilmer 07-05-2018 03:16 AM

((((Toots))))

aasharon90 07-05-2018 03:35 AM

Gilmer....
Your kindness, strength, courage,
and Wisdom has not gone unnoticed
to me and countless others.

You are in my thoughts and prayers
during this time as you continue to
seek the very best help that is available
to provide you with comfort and serenity.

Your warm, loving friendships shine
brightly thru our computer screens
and waves, Sweet Lady..!!!! :)

FBL 07-05-2018 03:51 AM

Kathy, I was very heartbroken when I first read your news yesterday. I've lost too many family and friends to cancer. My whole life I was frightened by the notion of death. Not just mine, but others around me. When I watched my Dad pass away in 2014, the way he handled it with grace and dignity taught me a valuable lesson. Something profoundly changed deep inside of me. I no longer fear death, but simply see it as a necessary part of life. May the time you have left be filled with laughter, love and joy. You have many lessons to impart still.

ChloeRose63 07-05-2018 03:55 AM

So sorry to hear the news. Sending you prayers and healing thoughts. Peace be with you. We all love you very much!♡

Della1968 07-05-2018 04:51 AM

I had to log in when I heard as I read through the thread it underscored what I wanted to say. You have always been such a shining example of kindness, grace and empathy to people in some of their darkest moments. Even in possibly your darkest moment you are still all of the above. Thank you for the gift you have given us.

Gilmer 07-05-2018 04:53 AM

Thank each of you so much. You guys are a gift to me!

Saskia 07-05-2018 05:06 AM

Originally Posted by FormerBeerLover (Post 6945882)
Kathy, I was very heartbroken when I first read your news yesterday. I've lost too many family and friends to cancer. My whole life I was frightened by the notion of death. Not just mine, but others around me. When I watched my Dad pass away in 2014, the way he handled it with grace and dignity taught me a valuable lesson. Something profoundly changed deep inside of me. I no longer fear death, but simply see it as a necessary part of life. May the time you have left be filled with laughter, love and joy. You have many lessons to impart still.

Dearest Kathy, FBL said it so very well! My view of death changed when I sat with my mother when she took her last breath.

I won’t give you any advice because I know you will make whatever decisions are best for you. I feel so very privileged to know you and to have met you. You are unfailingly supportive and I hope I can be supportive to you as you take this journey. Lots of love and many prayers.

happyandfree 07-05-2018 05:08 AM

This is heartbreaking news Gilmer....you've always been inspirational and kind with your words here. My hugs and prayers are abundant for you-

PhoenixJ 07-05-2018 05:13 AM

more support

nmd 07-05-2018 05:17 AM

:hug:

skyfullofstars 07-05-2018 05:43 AM

Gilmer, your dignity and class is utterly inspiring. Life is so precious, and for you I promise I am never going to pour that horrible poison down my throat or waste time worrying about trivial little things anymore. I promise not to throw my second chance away.

I really admire your spirit and hope your remaining time is full of love, laughter and peace. You really and truly deserve it.

*Huge hugs*

courage2 07-05-2018 06:28 AM

Hi Kathy -- I'm just going to treat you regular ok? Until you need anything special from me, and then I'll give whatever I can.

I like the Addams family, too. Cousin It is my favorite. But don't start picking out funeral tunes too soon. Like it or not, there are cases that defy the odds.

--sb

Canadian Koala 07-05-2018 06:41 AM

I've just learn about that terrible news by STDragon on the Ealy Risers thread.
Oh no...my heart is all upside dowm :(

Big koala hug to you Gilmer :hug:
You are in my prayers mon amie

MLD51 07-05-2018 06:48 AM

Kathy -
I wish I could think of appropriate things to say. I'm terrible at this. But I can say that I have always admired you, and I think you are one of the kindest and most supportive people here on SR. You can rest easy knowing that your time here has truly made a difference to many many people. We should all aspire to that.

I also appreciate your somewhat macabre sense of humor at this time - not much point in wallowing in complete despair, right? I hope you have a list of things you've always wanted to do, and that you get a chance to do some of those things.

(((Kathy/Gilmer)))

Gilmer 07-05-2018 06:48 AM

:hug: :hug:

Gilmer 07-05-2018 06:50 AM

Marty, I’m working with my family and friends on the bucket list even as we speak! :headbang:

trachemys 07-05-2018 07:25 AM

You go, girl. Do all those things you can.

Go walk the Appalachian Trail.

Numblady 07-05-2018 07:30 AM

Adding my hugs into the mix. Not to minimize the sadness of it all but I do look forward to hearing more on your bucket list. Your posts are always so wise and helpful. Have no doubt your bucket list will be fearless and awesome.

Linners820 07-05-2018 07:35 AM

So many have already said it better I can manage, here. Gilmer, I thought about you all day yesterday and am continuing to do so. Before I joined this site last year, I was a long time lurker, and have seen the posts, advice, & support that you have given to so many. Always so wise and compassionate. Even now you exemplify grace and dignity. I know I don't know you, but to say this has hit me is an understatement.

So much more I want to say, but I don't know how. So I'll just say this--I admire you, very much.

Gilmer 07-05-2018 07:38 AM

Thank you, Numblady and Linners.

Trach, I’d die an even quicker death if I attempted to hike the Appalachian Trail!

I’d keel over from a heart attack!

trachemys 07-05-2018 08:02 AM

No, no, start in Maine and it's all downhill! This is the time of year to start a Southbound Trek.

lessgravity 07-05-2018 08:09 AM

Glim - my thoughts and best wishes with you. Grace and dignity are traits hard to come by - you have them in spades.

stargazer016 07-05-2018 08:22 AM

Thank you Kathy for helping me stay on the sobriety trail these past three years. Your sense of humor has helped me and many others here on SR.

Shine on you Crazy Diamond!

Gilmer 07-05-2018 08:44 AM

Thanks, SG! I love that song!

Anna 07-05-2018 08:50 AM

Gilmer, I am so very sorry that you are dealing with this. I know you are a strong and positive individual, but even so, it must be tough. My thoughts and prayers are with you daily.

Gilmer 07-05-2018 08:53 AM

Thank you very much, ((Anna)) and ((LG.))

Free2bme888 07-05-2018 09:00 AM

Gilmer,

How shocking for all of us, you, your family and all of us here at SR.

As a nurse, comfort is a paramount goal. Whichever route you choose, please make sure comfort is in the plan.

Are you in pain?

Free😞😥

Gilmer 07-05-2018 09:09 AM

No pain whatsoever yet—thus, there are many moments when it seems completely unreal,