Notices

Happy 4th of July - Recovery Tips :)

Old 07-02-2018, 08:36 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Administrator

Happy 4th of July - Recovery Tips :)

I was waiting for someone else to do this but I hope you'll forgive an Aussie

What kind of social plans do you have on the Fourth? and more important what kind of recovery plan to go with it?

D
Old 07-02-2018, 08:40 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

There are some great tips for social occasions here:

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...val-guide.html (Social Occasion Survival Guide)

D
Old 07-02-2018, 08:41 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

I always get birthday greetings from all of my Aussie and Kiwi friends first...it's only the 2nd here still Dee!
Old 07-02-2018, 08:57 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I'm going to take it easy, stay inside in the a/c, and keep my dogs from getting nervous when the firecrackers go off. I give them a calming treat and it keeps them from trembling.

Brother is going to the town fireworks and asked me if I wanted to go, but I said no thanks. The traffic is horrible and congested afterward and it takes forever to get home. I'd rather just stay home and relax with the critters.

MM, it might not yet be the Fourth, but the jerks in my neighborhood are already setting off firecrackers day and night.
Old 07-02-2018, 09:27 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by MindfulMan View Post
I always get birthday greetings from all of my Aussie and Kiwi friends first...it's only the 2nd here still Dee!
happy actual bday for a few days back MM - and happy national birthday too

D
Old 07-03-2018, 12:08 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Tips for Staying Sober this Fourth of July

Whether it’s your first Fourth of July or your tenth in addiction recovery, it’s always a good idea to gather tips on staying sober before you attend your neighbor’s barbecue or community firework display. Events like Independence Day often involve alcohol and can be triggers for those who now lead sober lifestyles. If you’re wondering how to remain vigilant during this holiday season, here are ten tips to stay sober.

Avoid Events You Don’t Feel Good About
If someone invites you to an event and you have a gut feeling that it will bad for your condition, politely say no. This may be a party at an old friend’s house where you know there will be drinking or illicit drugs, or a function where you believe you’ll feel pressured into partaking. Instead, attend an event where there will be other sober friends or one in your community that’s family friendly. These events are less likely to bring back old, harmful memories and make you stray from your path.

Leave If You Feel Uncomfortable
As soon as things start to head south at a party, take your leave. Don’t let anyone pressure you into staying at a function if you feel uncomfortable. Make up an excuse if you have to, but get yourself away from the dangerous situation. This may be if a person you had an unhealthy relationship with enters the room, someone pulls out a bottle of your old favorite liquor, or if being around people drinking or doing drugs simply gets too difficult to handle. Whatever the case, know that it is perfectly okay to leave when an event goes sour.

Make Staying Sober A Priority
Keep the handy acronym SLIP in mind: Sobriety Loses Its Priority. This Fourth of July, go out with sobriety as your top priority. Don’t let anything else replace this in your mind as the most important goal of the evening. Do whatever you have to in order to keep sobriety at the forefront of your mind – talk to your sponsor, attend an alcohol-free event, surround yourself with other sober people, or simply stay home. If you concentrate on staying sober and stay focused on your recovery journey, everything else will seem insignificant.

Surround Yourself With Positive Friends

Positive friends don’t necessarily have to be sober friends, but they must be those that understand and respect your journey. Going to an event where there will be people likely to drag you back into your old habits will only lead to torment and temptation. Instead, keep the company of people who will not tempt or try to encourage you to indulge in drugs or alcohol. Surrounding yourself with positive influences and other sober individuals can help you stay on the right path and enjoy your holiday without cravings or risk of relapse.

Let Go Of Your Expectations Of Others
At a social event, you may expect everyone to respect your path, refrain from obvious triggers, or stay sober themselves. Unfortunately, this is often not the reality. Your friends and family members are human, too, and they have the right to make their own choices. The best thing you can do for yourself in these situations is to let it go. Realize that they are on their own paths, just as you are on yours. If you make your journey about you instead of those around you, you can release your worries and enjoy sobriety.

Have Fun
Attending a party, event, or holiday barbecue as “the sober one” can feel like you have a signpost following you around. Yet staying sober doesn’t have to put a damper on the event. Find things to distract you such as a dip in the pool, games with kids, setting off fireworks, or chatting with favorite friends and family members. Don’t dwell on your sobriety or any triggers that may be at the event. Live and let live – and have real fun without the influence of substances.

Stay Home
Stay home on holidays when you would normally drink, especially if you fear going out will be a trigger. Staying home on the Fourth of July doesn’t have to be boring or depressing – invite a few of your closest friends and relatives for an alcohol-free evening. Host a barbecue, set off some fireworks, and have a great time without the influence of drugs or alcohol. Staying home can put you in control of your environment and your urges.

Attend A Meeting
Attend an Alcoholics Anonymous meeting, or schedule yourself for more meetings than usual. If you aren’t a member of a 12-step program, simply attend an open meeting in your community. There are sure to be many like-minded individuals in attendance specifically for tips on how to stay sober on the Fourth of July. There may even be a group planning their own event or function on the holiday specifically to avoid temptation. Attending extra meetings can remind you of how hard you’ve worked to get where you are, and what is at stake if you put yourself in a tough situation.

Say The Serenity Prayer
There’s a reason the Serenity Prayer is a mainstay of all 12-step programs. No matter what your spiritual beliefs, this prayer can remind you of your goals, and give you a renewed sense of strength and control over your life. When things get tough, recite the Serenity Prayer and ask your higher power – be it God, fate, or the universe – to grant you serenity, courage, and wisdom in your time of need. The Prayer can remind you to live one day at a time and to stay strong in the face of temptation on the Fourth of July.

Go To A Sober Event
One of the best tips for staying sober is to attend a sober event.

From thetreatmentcenter.com blog
This is obviously written from a 12 step point of view but many other methods are meeting based as well, and will have meetings on the 4th.

Many other rehabs, treatments centres and recovery groups hold sober events - Google sober events for the 4th of July in your town or city

D
Old 07-03-2018, 03:26 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Having a cookout. 3 couples. 2 of us are non-drinkers. I expect the rest will partake.

Some people will probably also eat cole slaw. I won't, though. I don't eat cole slaw.
Old 07-03-2018, 05:56 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Did my grocery shopping yesterday with my kids (don’t buy alcohol with them), and will stay home with my family on the 4th enjoying a cookout, and hopefully get some gardening done.

Looking forward to a peaceful relaxing day where this momma can catch a break!
Old 07-03-2018, 06:35 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

My husband actually has the first day off since his big promotion in Mar - and it took a National Holiday - we've been having some figuring out the little stuff bumps of marriage so we will be spending an easy day together. He has it in his head that he needs to cook some sausage so there you go....we usually go to a mtg on holidays, at the big clubhouse that draws a big crowd.

We're probably going to find a patio somewhere to eat out tonight - he has an itch to go somewhere w "me and a big TV" which is fine except yours truly has zero interest in the darn WC!

Hope everyone enjoys the sober day, whether it's your holiday or not!
Old 07-03-2018, 07:14 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Nonsensical, ewwww! Coleslaw!

Least, what kind of calming treat do you give your dogs? I feel so bad for mine, we won't be home and I plan to put on some music to drown out the sounds.

We have plans to go to a family member's new house (they just moved nearby). I'm so excited for someone else to host for once!
Old 07-03-2018, 07:34 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks Dee! No real plans for the 4th...my biggest hurdle will be coming straight home after work tonight since I'll have tomorrow off.

The place I rent is right near the bay and there are fireworks over the water every year....that's when this neighborhood crowds up & it's nice to not have to fight for a parking space if I want to see the display; I can just take a little walk
Old 07-03-2018, 07:41 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

We are hosting a barbecue, only one person is what I would consider a big drinker and he has no qualms about drinking by himself. I will be busy manning the grill which is good. I need to stay busy.

I do not like having holidays fall in the middle of the week, ruins pretty much the whole week. I'll be the only one in the gym today, maybe Thursday and definitely Friday.
Old 07-03-2018, 07:44 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

^^^and my yoga place has a modified schedule ALL week!

I don't know if we will see fireworks close to us this yr- it's our first 4th here. But we are on the top floor and probably close enough to Midtown Atlanta that we will catch some.
Old 07-03-2018, 09:07 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

My little dog is freaked out by fireworks. My big does doesn't care. I'll be doing what I can to keep her from freaking out. Sometimes my neighbors are setting off some pretty big fireworks. There's major fire threat this year, I don't know if that will cause people to hold back or not.
Old 07-03-2018, 09:23 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Originally Posted by Nonsensical View Post
Some people will probably also eat cole slaw. I won't, though. I don't eat cole slaw.
Heathen.

Cookout with the family. No one drinks anymore. I'm making marinated broccoli, by request.
Old 07-04-2018, 03:55 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I’m going to put new flooring in my kitchen. Keep myself out of trouble.
Old 07-04-2018, 05:07 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I have ambitions of cleaning my grill (before it gets too hot out)
Happy 4th everyone.
Old 07-04-2018, 05:50 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Just got back from a 2.5 mile run, had a glass of water, a banana, and an orange and am now ready for the day. Watering the plants, tidying up the house a bit, meeting up with the kids for a picnic and some fireworks. Relax, and not do any real work.

Nonsensical, put a scoop of coleslaw on top of pulled pork, between two buns, and you got yourself a Carolina Pulled Pork sandwich. You'll never think of cole slaw the same way again. That's some good eatin', right there.

Hope you all have a good day!
Old 07-04-2018, 06:46 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I hate to say it but I'm not a big 4th of July fan. I'm actually not a big fan of most planned holidays.....they feel so contrived. haha. Party pooper I am.

Yesterday, as my daughter and I were driving to Starbucks after moving 2 cubic yards of perma bark (yes, that's a lot. And another cubic yard is staring at me right now....makes me want to cry in my cheerios) we talked of all the people heading up to the lake for the celebration. It gets packed. My little city is one of those places where everyone does the same thing. Kinda cute...in a weird, herding kind of way. It'll be fun. But for me, I see hot, crowded, loud, and boozy. I live in a moderate area so it won't be THAT boozy. But for me to actually enjoy that, I would need alcohol. So its a no go. Frankly it'd be a no go with alcohol.

I haven't been sober very long. Not sure when these types of events will be open to me again, if ever. 5 years maybe. Dunno. I had 2 years sober, went to a fourth of july party and had 2 drinks....that started the ball rolling again. Yuck.

So it'll be me, my dog and cat. We'll hunker down under the barrage of extremely illegal and dangerous fireworks that my crazy neighbors get every year and hope the house doesn't catch fire. Last night there was one practice salvo fired and it sounded like an explosion. Really? Is that necessary? Ugh
Old 07-04-2018, 08:51 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Downtown Chicago

On a yacht last night

Very difficult not to drink. Minute by minute last night but got through!!

Hope everyone is making it through....

Free