Notices

Newcomer

Old 07-02-2018, 06:15 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Newcomer

Hello im new here not sure how this works yet. Husband is a recovering alcoholic/addict. Who is always gone to his meetings and convention's and hardly home. I'm just trying to speak to someone who can relate and possibly give some input.
Old 07-02-2018, 07:24 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hello Llizarraga1 (could there be more than 1?!)
There is a friends and family area that may be beneficial to you. But, you'll certainly gain some insight into your husband's behavior by reading the posts. Bless you for doing some "homework" to help the situation :-)
Old 07-02-2018, 08:10 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Hi Liz, welcome to SR.

You might get some more useful responses in the friends and family forum. How long has your husband been sober? It can sometimes take a while for us (the alcoholic) to remember that we have a family at home and we need to get some balance in our lives. Possibly you could read To Wives, and The Family Afterward in the book Alcoholics Anonymous to get a bit more insight.

In early sobriety it seems to be a good thing if the alcoholic spends a lot of time working with other alcoholics. It is well proven that nothing works better than this to ensure continued sobriety. But in the long haul, the idea is for the alcoholic to resume their place in the mainstream of life which means assuming their responsibilities to the family, at work, and to the community.

There is sometimes a tendency to become addicted to meetings, which can result in what I call an AA widow at home. Hopefully, if your husband is fully working the program, he will change for the better in time.
Old 07-02-2018, 08:14 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. Altho you are welcome to post anywhere, I'd suggest posting your questions in the friends and family forum for more insight from others who have been there.

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...ly-alcoholics/
Old 07-03-2018, 06:50 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

[Thanks for the response im still trying to get used to this chat having to find things is hard. Hubby has been sober 1 yr now. I did look up the book in YouTube and it was audio version so that was good. But i didn't know bout the family after book. Ill look it up too.

I will look for the friends n family thread thanks.

QUOTE=Gottalife;6943855]Hi Liz, welcome to SR.

You might get some more useful responses in the friends and family forum. How long has your husband been sober? It can sometimes take a while for us (the alcoholic) to remember that we have a family at home and we need to get some balance in our lives. Possibly you could read To Wives, and The Family Afterward in the book Alcoholics Anonymous to get a bit more insight.

In early sobriety it seems to be a good thing if the alcoholic spends a lot of time working with other alcoholics. It is well proven that nothing works better than this to ensure continued sobriety. But in the long haul, the idea is for the alcoholic to resume their place in the mainstream of life which means assuming their responsibilities to the family, at work, and to the community.

There is sometimes a tendency to become addicted to meetings, which can result in what I call an AA widow at home. Hopefully, if your husband is fully working the program, he will change for the better in time.[/QUOTE]
Old 07-04-2018, 05:50 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome Llizarraga1

D