SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   3 Weeks today (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/429557-3-weeks-today.html)

rayna87 07-01-2018 08:43 PM

3 Weeks today

3 Sundays ago, I drank myself to oblivion per usual, although also moreso than usual because I’d made a colossal mistake at work and was facing the repercussions the next day, and I also wanted to open a third bottle of wine. Instead, I listened to some wise words on this forum and “drank some water and went to bed”.

3 weeks later, I can 150% say I haven’t been tempted. The wine has been there. I have a couple of bottles in my house that are rare and/or sentimental to me and no, I will not throw them out or dump them down the drain. Also trust me when I say if I haven’t even thought about touching them once in the past 5-8 years, I’m not going to start now. There’s a Publix in walking distance of me, if I really wanted to. So the special wine in my home is a non-issue. But I haven’t gone to Publix. And that’s a victory.

The ‘best friend’ I always talk about asked if I wanted to get a drink after work the other day. I sort of fibbed my way out of it, and yes I know I need to have a conversation with her, but the bottom line is I didn’t go. And that’s a victory.

I don’t even remember what it feels like to be hungover. And that is a HUUUUUGE victory!!! I feel like in some ways, I spent the past 3 years hungover, in one way or the other. Now, I’ve had great nights of sleep and I’ve had okay nights of sleep. Even the okay nights of sleep are a million times better than the hungover nights. My mind is so clear.

We have a former client who comes in once a month to pay on her bill. She came in the other day, and the first thing she said when I walked into the lobby was “You’ve lost weight!” She comes in pretty religiously to pay her bill, so I last saw her only about a month ago...right before my rock bottom. I was so flattered and proud of what she noticed, and didn’t even think about the added benefit of skipping all those empty calories!!

I have been warned of complacency, and alcoholic voices, and all kinds of things, but like I’ve said before, i don’t want to sit around waiting for negatives, or thinking negatively. I feel awesome, and feel like I need to be proud of myself for that, so I’m taking a minute to do that.

Zanna 07-01-2018 09:21 PM

Just a suggestion, but if those bottles of wine have sentimental value to you, how about dumping the wine and just keeping the bottles? They make fantastic vases :)
Well done on 3 weeks !

Dee74 07-01-2018 10:54 PM

That's a good suggestion by Zanna - congrats on 3 weeks though Rayna:)

D

MissPerfumado 07-02-2018 02:36 AM

Top job, Rayna! You deserve to be proud of yourself!

rayna87 07-02-2018 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by Zanna (Post 6942964)
Just a suggestion, but if those bottles of wine have sentimental value to you, how about dumping the wine and just keeping the bottles? They make fantastic vases :)
Well done on 3 weeks !

Thank you! And yes, they do make great vases! :) I actually have one filled with Christmas lights and decorated for my football team, and it’s my favorite decoration :) as for the wine, I promise, they are not an issue. One bottle is real authentic Italian wine I bought on a street in Italy in 2012, with the handwritten Euro price sticker still on it. I’ve had some reeeeally low nights since 2012, but opening that has never even crossed my mind. There’s like 8 different liquor stores all around me for that, if and when I’ve really wanted. My cousin even made a joke once, years ago before my drinking was even a problem. She saw my Italy wine and little bottle of real limoncello from Capri still on my shelf a year after our trip... “You still have those? I drank all mine months ago. You haven’t had a desperate times night?” It was funny then, it’s not funny now, but the answer is still no, I haven’t. Nothing where i would waste those. It really is a non-issue, I promise :) thank you so much for the kind words :)

Helianthus 07-02-2018 09:22 PM

Wow rayna87 that's fantastic, congratulations on 3 weeks! Keep up the good work :c011: