Notices

80 days - the freedom of not choosing

Old 07-01-2018, 03:03 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

80 days - the freedom of not choosing

Never been this sober this long in my life besides before I ever touched the poison.

What I am feeling these days is generally just the residual side effects of fully having accepted that I am never drinking again. These are positive side effects - think less about booze, crave it almost not at all, wistful recollections pass me by, I just don't entertain any thoughts of the poison seriously - I know I'm not drinking. I've removed the option.

Removing the option this time, finally, has given me a freedom I've never felt in previous attempts at sobriety. I just don't drink, there's no option.

The rest of my life needs the work anyhow. Hard to believe I made it this far and have so much, after having sacrificed so long and wasted so so so much time and money and life to the poison.

The trash is not worth it. Alcohol is garbage, it's poison, it's demon fuel - sure other people can enjoy it, but I lost that ability long ago.

And now, finally sober, I am free to spend my life on the things that matter.
Old 07-01-2018, 03:12 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you're doing well, LG.
Old 07-01-2018, 03:23 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Well done LG!
Old 07-01-2018, 05:50 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

congrats on 80 less

D
Old 07-01-2018, 07:15 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Well said, Less. I am happy for you and hoping to get myself to that point. The freedom is so beautiful. Being enslaved to alcohol is a prison we are all striving to be free from. Thank you for your posts.
Old 07-01-2018, 07:43 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
quat

You need to realize the cell door is unlocked and you can walk out and never look except to slam it shut on the desire , cage the Beast .

You have the power to make a prisoner of the desire , put It in the jail of nonindulgence and throw away the key. Be the jailer , reclaim your freedom , you’re right the freedom is wonderful and empowering , and yours for the taking, take it.
Old 07-01-2018, 08:04 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I am also glad you're doing so well.
Old 07-01-2018, 08:30 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dwtbd View Post
You need to realize the cell door is unlocked and you can walk out and never look except to slam it shut on the desire , cage the Beast .

You have the power to make a prisoner of the desire , put It in the jail of nonindulgence and throw away the key. Be the jailer , reclaim your freedom , you’re right the freedom is wonderful and empowering , and yours for the taking, take it.
Thanks, dwtbd. I've walked out of the prison once more, but I'm only 12 days away from it, so I know it lurks around every corner. I'm doing a lot of talking with the AV so it is reminded I don't drink anymore. The further away from the cell, the more secure I'll be in my freedom.
Old 07-02-2018, 09:17 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Quitnow4 View Post
Thanks, dwtbd. I've walked out of the prison once more, but I'm only 12 days away from it, so I know it lurks around every corner. I'm doing a lot of talking with the AV so it is reminded I don't drink anymore. The further away from the cell, the more secure I'll be in my freedom.
Yes, like many with more experience and wisdom than me have said on this site - it does get easier.

Even less than 3 months from my last bender, I feel as if I've shed the chains of that horror behind. There is much work to do, and life is still filled with challenges. But everything, every single thing, is better without the poison in control.
Old 07-02-2018, 09:25 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Congrats Ness! I'm not far behind. Day 73!