Notices

Does this sound like a plan?

Old 07-01-2018, 12:16 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Does this sound like a plan?

Hi everyone, haven't posted for a while.

Since then, I went to my GP, made a full confession of my alcoholism, and asked her to refer me to a full lab tast and an abdominal scan to see how much damage I have done to myself so far.

To my complete and utter surprise, both tests came back clear. No damage shown by a complete blood and urine test and a pretty thorough scan (I told the radiotherapist why I was having this test).

(There have been periods of abstinence/very low consumption during my years of drinking, tbh.)

I know there are very few second chances in this life so I want to make the most of this one. I spent some time after the test looking into my options (the one my GP had on offer turned out to be a no-go for various reasons), and this time I have decided to try this:

1) Whenever I quit before, it was always during (some) time off work. Naturally, as soon as I got back into the swing of things, my scant defences came off and I returned to drink. This time, I will not take time off work. I want to learn to navigate real life and becoming sober at the same time.

2) I think I've gone through enough counsellors and therapists. I know fine well what I have to do, they can tell me to work on my sobriety but I am the one who has to actually do it. So I am doing it, but I will not talk about it for the sake of it. I don't want to focus on drinking, I want to focus on becoming sober.

3) What has always worked before was exercise, so I am getting back to it, at least 3-4 times a week, in the evenings, to ease the restlessness. My local gym will do.

4) I have set myself an early bedtime so I can get up early and start the day without the usual stress of being late.

5) I am committed to do this. I cannot waste any more time, I want to retrain as a teacher within 2 years.

6) I have joined a church and I am taking on various little tasks as a volunteer, breaking out of the isolation that's been fueling my dependency for years.

7) I am plucking up the courage to go to an AA meeting - I have a place and time in mind for next week.

8) I am journalling and returning to hobbies long forsaken (the clue is in the username!).

My ultimate goal is to be not only AF, but truly sober: a disciplined, calm, reliable person. I can vividly remember my non-drinking self, it wasn't that long ago! I want to be sober so I can become a teacher and find a partner in the long run.

So please, tell me - does this sound good enough to start with, or are there any gaps to fill in? Any advice would be gratefully received!
Old 07-01-2018, 01:09 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
totfit

I think you have a fabulous plan. I keep a routine also, but it is now more about living than not drinking. Drinking for me now is just nonsense, but my "plan" continues. Don't drink and stick to the plan. Looks good to me.
Old 07-01-2018, 01:17 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Sounds like you've got all the bases covered.
Old 07-01-2018, 01:28 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Sounds like a great plan. The trick now is to learn to follow it regardless of whether you get a case of the "I don't wanna"s or not. The days I didn't feel like working my plan always turn out to be the ones when I really NEED to work it.

BB
Old 07-01-2018, 01:39 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Start with 7 first, and use/build the other things you mentioned as supporting tools to your dedicated recovery program.

Best to you to make this a lasting change now that you do still have a good bill of health!
Old 07-01-2018, 01:52 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I really like it!

The only thing that might need some thought (and introspection) is what might lead you back to drinking, like triggers and temptations. And what you will do to address them. I found that part of my plan really helpful as it forced me to come up with strategies ahead of time for potential danger moments.

As an example, it was standard for me to drink while tidying up the house on weekends (as otherwise I found it too boring). So weekend tidying up time was a major temptation. My strategy was to put everything away immediately, or do it all first thing in the morning on weekends when I wouldn't normally drink. Or, taking up online chess for that quick 10-20 minute something to do during the weekends.

And so on...

It's a great plan you have.
Old 07-01-2018, 01:55 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think your plan sounds great. But, don't forget about having fun sometimes, too.
Old 07-01-2018, 02:45 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

It's a Plan

I admire your thoroughness and willingness. Church involvement and exercise are so important to recovery and a healthy and happy lifestyle. My concern is the mind is where your alcoholism is and that's also where your plan is. The mind that created a problem can't solve it. Take your plan to AA and if you can find someone to help you, they will be your best asset. Pray for guidance in this, and your Higher Power will direct you. I'm 100% sure that if you seek help from a HP and another person, and don't drink, you can be happily sober forever.
love alwaz, Mike.
Old 07-02-2018, 05:24 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Rar

Your plan sounds great. One critical part of my plan is what Miss Perfumado points out, "The only thing that might need some thought (and introspection) is what might lead you back to drinking, like triggers and temptations. And what you will do to address them. I found that part of my plan really helpful as it forced me to come up with strategies ahead of time for potential danger moments."