Notices

Light beer

Old 07-01-2018, 02:00 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Light beer

Hi,

I haven't had a drink for two weeks and in my last post I was pretty low as I had been very drunk and done some bad/stupid things.

An old friend came to visit me on Friday (someone who I have been drinking with since our teens) and I told him that I didn't want to drink any more and I told him the reasons why, and what I had done recently because of alcohol.

I told him that my family and my business and making ends meet was at stake, and that if he was a real friend he would understand this.

He accepted what I said but offered me a light beer instead. I've drank light beers before and I never feel any kind of feeling from them (they are about 2.25%), so I accepted. He seemed content with this and we had a good catch-up and it was a pleasant evening. He also mostly drank light beer, although he did have a couple of normal strength cans.

When I went home I read a story to my daughter and put her to bed, then told my wife that I had drank a light beer and whether she thought it had been a good idea or not.

She said it was fine with her.

But I have been thinking about it since and I can't help wondering- is this just going to lead me back to drinking again? If I start getting comfortable with having the occasional light beer, and as time passes and the memories of why I gave up drinking become more distant, will the occasional light beer become the occasional beer and then it will be binge drinking on weekends again?

I think I might have made a mistake.

What are everyones thoughts on light beer? Or even non-alcoholic beer? Should I stay well clear from it or can it be a useful tool?

Steve
Old 07-01-2018, 02:05 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Originally Posted by steve202020 View Post
is this just going to lead me back to drinking again?
Been there.
Done that.
Woke up in my neighbor's shrubbery.
I am well shod of it all.

Best of Luck on Your Journey!
Old 07-01-2018, 02:06 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Alcohol took me to such bad places, physically and mentally.

I don't poke the bear anymore.

Two weeks ago you were distraught and bereft over your drinking and the disaster it brings.

To my mind, Steve, you're poking the bear.

D
Old 07-01-2018, 02:29 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yeah ... nup.

Light beer is beer. It is not a useful tool for sobriety.

IMHO.
Old 07-01-2018, 02:40 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

For me, any amount of alcohol (even a tiny bit) excites my AV and leads to frustration because I'm not getting the buzz I want which leads very quickly to drinking normal strength alcohol which inevitably leads to oblivion. The only way I have found happiness and peace is by drinking no alcohol. Ever. No exceptions.
Old 07-01-2018, 02:51 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

In my experience YES - it'll lead you back. I've tried it numerous times, it's not strong enough and wakes the beast enough to want something stronger. I think I lasted less than a night on light anything - so I guess you are doing better than I did.

Is it worth the risk??
Old 07-01-2018, 03:10 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks guys- you've confirmed what I was thinking.

I think it has already woken up the AV a little bit.

Yes, I was absolutely distraught two weeks ago and disgusted with myself (and still am).

I need to stay well clear of the light beers too and stop playing with fire (y) (y)

Tea and coffee will do for now, although even they can cause problems for me!

But that is another story........
Old 07-01-2018, 04:36 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Rar

Light beer? Oh, heck no! I was a light beer drinker because initially I didn't like the taste of craft beer or other high alcohol beers. Trouble was, as time went by, I was drinking more and more and more.
Old 07-01-2018, 04:42 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Nonsensical View Post
Been there.
Done that.
Woke up in my neighbor's shrubbery.
If I started drinking Light beer I'm sure something like that would happen to me before long.

I could not claim that I was sober either and that's a big deal for me and my family and friends.

M-Bob
Old 07-01-2018, 04:48 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Anything with alcohol in it is quite simply not on my agenda.

Are you working a plan to get and stay sober this time? Do you think you should restart your sober time?
Old 07-01-2018, 05:11 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by steve202020 View Post

I need to stay well clear of the light beers too and stop playing with fire (y) (y)
glad to read ya realize this,steve.
if this ever comes up again, ask yourself what youd suggest to the ex crackhead thats contemplating smoking light crack or non crack crack.
Old 07-01-2018, 05:23 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Light beer was my poison of choice. Not the 2.5 % but the 4.5. %. Micheloeb Ultra, Miller Lite, Coors Lite. At my height I’d drink up to 16 of them in a night. So yeah, I agree with the other opinions that any alcohol at all will probably lead u back. Good luck!
Old 07-01-2018, 06:17 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

When it comes to alcohol, doesn't really matter what form it comes in for us. Beer, wine booze all contain exactly the same kind of alcohol. I personally drank "light" beer pretty much exclusively and it destroyed my health and life pretty readily.
Old 07-01-2018, 07:16 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

But I have been thinking about it since and I can't help wondering- is this just going to lead me back to drinking again?

i hate to break it you, but you DID DRINK.

your friend didn't "get it" - but his opinion is not what matters.
your wife might be "ok" with it - but her opinion is not what matters.

drinking is never a solution to not drinking.
Old 07-01-2018, 08:00 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

While I thoroughly enjoyed the craft beer scene the past decade+, I morphed into an alcoholic on good old Miller Lite. It looks like you have already taken the point though. Good for you.

In my albeit brief experience of getting sober, that period going from one to two weeks was tricky as although I was still feeling pretty awful, there were enough "good" periods starting to show up that it made me rationalize drinking again. You can guess where those led.

Dust off and start again. Consider yourself fortunate. A one night slip up with low alcohol beers is better than many other alternatives. Quite possibly a good learning experience.
Old 07-01-2018, 08:14 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
nez

It was my thinking that I had to change...not my beverages. When I changed my thinking, so did my choice of beverages.
Old 07-01-2018, 08:35 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

NA drinks are always a hot bed question here.

For me personally, getting sober has meant nothing with alcohol. Honestly with the vast array of alcohol free choices, it is easier the longer I am sober. A lot of people love sparkling water, I prefer Italian Soda, if I am going to get gassy, I am going to have a couple calories with it. Carbonation is not often my friend. So I keep different syrups on hand to mix with water or club soda when the urge hits.

I brew good strong teas, hot or iced, stir up a pitcher of real lemonade, well citrus-ade I add oranges and limes sometimes.

edited becsuse omg spelling
Old 07-01-2018, 08:47 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

will this lead you back to drinking?
it did; you drank it, knowingly.

that's just a fact.
how you understand it and move on from here is now the important part.
Old 07-01-2018, 09:06 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi Steve! Glad you posted about this.

Such great responses - I agree with the consensus. Light Beer was what I drank mostly. Bud Light has 4.2% alcohol vs regular beer's 5% - not that big a difference. It led me straight into hell.
Old 07-01-2018, 09:30 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
DOS: 08-16-2012

"But I have been thinking about it since and I can't help wondering- is this just going to lead me back to drinking again?"

The insanity of alcoholism never ceases to boggle my mind! YOU DID DRINK! There is no leading you back to drinking, you were drinking.

My main poison was Natural Light. Mainly because it was cheap and I would drink 18+ every night so I had to watch my pocket book. The fact that it was called "light" and not regular or a fancy IPA didn't change one darn thing about why I was drinking. Maybe I could drink more than a "regular" beer but who cares. No matter what I drank I always drank enough to get the job done.

Are you in AA or another program? If not you really need to be in order to understand Alcoholism. You will learn that Alcoholism is about how you think and not what you drink.