Notices

Class of July 2018 Part 1

Old 07-03-2018, 04:00 PM
  # 61 (permalink)  

Count me in. July 2 I dumped out the beer from the fridge. Yesterday I had the hangover from hell. I realized I need extra help. I'm glad to join this class. I have never joined a class before. Thanks SR.
Old 07-03-2018, 04:53 PM
  # 62 (permalink)  

Welcome NEW Julier’s! Glad you’re here!! I cannot be more grateful to SR and the wonderful folks in these boards. Support, Love and advice abounds here. Today I have a big headache, but it’s not hangover related!! That’s a win!! The weather this afternoon was awful, lightning all over the place, and holy rain!! Anyway- hope you all are hanging in there! 💕
Old 07-03-2018, 07:02 PM
  # 63 (permalink)  

Welcome Julys!
Old 07-03-2018, 07:13 PM
  # 64 (permalink)  

Good Evening Everyone :)

mirrorball… Ditto to everything you wrote! I want to be FREE as well. So glad you are here :)

SurvivorK… That’s awesome that you are giving it your all. I can honestly say that I have NEVER given it my all, but I intend to this time! Glad to be doing this alongside you :)

rolf1… I’m so glad today was a better day and that SR is helping you. I look forward to racking up those days with you :)

WastingLife… I am so good at romanticizing alcohol that I don’t even have to try. Ugh. You make a great point when you counter that with never thinking of the consequences! Even when I do “play the tape forward”, I usually give in. No more! Looking forward to helping each other fight those thoughts :)

skyfullofstars… Congrats on the win! I’m looking forward to waking up feeling fresh too :)

Jim1958… I’m glad you are here! I need help too. This is so hard :(

Minion09… Thank you! The weather here is pretty bad as well! It’s SO HOT :O

Outonthetiles… Thank you :)

Right now I feel so much relief. Relief knowing that I will wake up tomorrow with NO regrets and NO hangover! Woo-hoo!!!

Sweet Dreams Everyone :)
~BF
Old 07-03-2018, 07:50 PM
  # 65 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Ainee Jim and BreakFree

D
Old 07-04-2018, 12:15 AM
  # 66 (permalink)  

Morning all - hope everyone is doing ok.

Into my second week with no alcohol and without being too complacent, it's going well so far. Anxiety has dropped off considerably and I'm loving a good nights sleep, waking up fresh with a full day ahead.

My worst times for drinking were at the weekend, occasionally during the week. I'm off work on leave for 2 weeks and this would be prime opportunity to isolate myself and drink all day. But I'll keep repeating NO to the AV and make sure I have a plan to stick to each day.

I haven't really opened up to my close friends and family about just how bad my drinking problem had got, I will in time I guess. My partner is aware and is really supportive of everything I'm doing to overcome it.

I'm planning on going to visit one of my closest friends for a few days next week, she lives 5 hours drive away, she can be a bit of a party girl and I'm expecting she will want to be as it's also her husbands 40th birthday and he's having a party at the weekend.

I've already kind of hinted that I don't think I'll be able to make the party but will be able to visit beforehand and I know it might involve visits out to the pub and beach etc. I'm wondering how I approach this.

Should I open up and tell her everything, I'm not really sure I'm ready just yet. Or do I go down the route of saying I can't drink as I'm on some meds at the moment?

Any advice would be appreciated!
Old 07-04-2018, 12:20 AM
  # 67 (permalink)  

@Mirrorball - I received your PM thank you! The site would not allow me to reply as I haven't yet done 15 posts lol!

Just so you know I'm not ignoring you.

Better get on with some more posts....
Old 07-04-2018, 12:58 AM
  # 68 (permalink)  

Morning peeps! Woke up feeling really good about my decision to quit today. I guess over the years I have kind of accepted the price I paid for my addiction as just what I had to put up with to feed the beast, but no more! Can see now with fresh eyes just how much it has cost me over the years and not just financially, My relationship with my partner is stronger this week.. I realise now that it was like having an affair being in active addiction, like the beast of addiction was sitting between us all the time competing for my affections.

Even though I have deleted numbers for dealers my stupid beast brain was trying to recall one this morning that I'd learned off my heart some time ago. Its so sneaky.. wormed its way in by saying 'I'm sure you've forgotten that number, let's just check to be sure' and then made me try and recall it until I did. Sneaky little beast, why did I fall for it??

Well done Futurehope for doing so well so far. In answer to your question, depends how close you are to your friend but I always think honesty is good in these situations - can you explain you have a problem and you're trying to avoid temptation? I guess you don't want to limit what your friend does/where she goes, and you can't avoid pubs forever, but just make them aware a little of what you're going through? If you're anything like me, in the past you may have avoided saying you have a problem as if you then give up and go back to it, well it's a bit embarrassing. But if you're done for good then this won't be an issue and it's just AV talking!

I had to come clean to my friend at the weekend as I went out but was on a bit of a downer and had a lot on my mind with my decision to quit, and she kept asking if I was ok. In the end I told her what I was going through a little (she knows I've used in the past, but didn't realise it was still a big issue for me). But she's a good friend, I'm not sure I would trust some of my other friends with this.

Good luck to everyone today.
Old 07-04-2018, 02:25 AM
  # 69 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by mirrorball View Post
Morning peeps! Woke up feeling really good about my decision to quit today. I guess over the years I have kind of accepted the price I paid for my addiction as just what I had to put up with to feed the beast, but no more! Can see now with fresh eyes just how much it has cost me over the years and not just financially, My relationship with my partner is stronger this week.. I realise now that it was like having an affair being in active addiction, like the beast of addiction was sitting between us all the time competing for my affections.
Glad you are feeling more positive today.

You've got this!
Old 07-04-2018, 03:27 AM
  # 70 (permalink)  

Morning Everyone!

This morning I spied a 660 ml bottle of Stella hidden under the coffee table in the front room that was part of a birthday present given to me on Sunday by my daughter.

I must have forgotten it was there because I drank everything else in sight! I dutifully took it to the sink, opened the top and poured it away.

keeping it in the fridge is just asking for trouble!

To all those that get lit up by the incessant alcohol advertising on TV, I have a suggestion for you which I wish I'd followed first time around.

Stop watching TV!

I remember that empty black hole feeling when I first stopped and it's not nice. Now that you've stopped drinking what else are you going to do?

There are languages to be learnt, books to be read and places to visit. Avoiding TV, at least for the first couple of months may seem a bit radical but that constant advertising bombardment brainwashes you into thinking that it's normal to drink. But it's not. At least it shouldn't be.

If you watch soaps especially then they are a real danger to you because so much action takes place in a pub and then in the breaks you have the beer advertising forced on you - stop watching it!

Learn how to meditate, take up a yoga class, start filling your life with things that concentrate on you. Long relaxing baths, long walks are particularly good for you both physically and spiritually.

In this weather weeding the garden is a favourite activity of mine. Something I would never have considered a few years ago. Spending time with yourself and learning how to love yourself is the path you are treading.

I like to buy myself flowers every Monday. Extravagant? Nothing compared to what I used to spend on drink. They are a weekly reminder of what it means to be alive and they bring joy and fragrance to everyone who visits.

It's hard getting sober, but don't beat yourself up, and don't let others force their will on you.

Kopfan
Old 07-04-2018, 04:53 AM
  # 71 (permalink)  

Good morning 7:45 am here US side. It’s the 4th of July which usually means lots of celebrations involving alcohol, but not for me today! 29 days and feeling positive! Hope you all have a good day wherever you are. Stay strong, plan your resistance ifyou know you’re going to be placed in a pickle. As far as telling others, that’s a personal decision that needs to be carried carefully. For me those closest to me know what is going on with me, without that, it would be too easy to compromise. They are helping hold me accountable but also surrounding me With so much support, love and understanding.
Again, be strong today, 24 more!!
Old 07-04-2018, 05:10 AM
  # 72 (permalink)  

Well I have spent today booking some gig tickets using the money I would usually spend on gear to do this, to give me something to look forward to. It's gone on the credit card but I figure I will have more money now to pay it off now I'm not spending ££££ on feeding the beast. Gonna really try and just enjoy going out listening to music and buzzing off the crowd.. I've done this before, went to some sober morning raves last year during a clean period (sadly they are no longer happening in my town) and it's actually not as hard as it looks to have a good time on nothing but water and fresh air!

Hi to Kopfan sounds like you are doing well and finding healthier pursuits.

Hi Minion, agree that its such a personal decision who you tell.... there can be pros and cons to confessing to others. Hope you have a good 4th July sounds like you have plenty to celebrate now.
Old 07-04-2018, 05:15 AM
  # 73 (permalink)  

Good Morning ��
Day. 14 for me! So wonderful to wake up with a clear head and no guilt. Been thinking a lot about delayed gratification lately. Always able to ace it except when it came to beer. Had a talk with my AV yesterday. Told it in time you’ll be extinct. I can ride you out!
Old 07-04-2018, 05:35 AM
  # 74 (permalink)  

Putting on weight so fast. I should have known since i replaced food with beer. Anyone else had/have this happen?
Old 07-04-2018, 06:18 AM
  # 75 (permalink)  

Hi Drole,
Yes, this is a common problem because you feel like you need to replace all that sugar (acetate) generated by alcohol with a real sugar substitute.

A few pounds won't hurt and I put on about half a stone over six months until the penny dropped that just because I'd given up beer didn't mean my diet was now perfect!

I ate what I wanted but the mature and difficult solution is to give up sugar entirely.
Old 07-04-2018, 07:45 AM
  # 76 (permalink)  

I never normally have a sweet tooth, I'm more a savoury and carbs type of girl. But the last couple of days I have been craving chocolate like crazy!

Those little sachets of Options hot chocolate made with hot milk are a Godsend. Only about 50 calories, including the milk, and they take the edge off. Those Mikado sticks are good too, only 10 cals and it feels like eating a biscuit

Still I would take a bit of extra fat around my waistline than around my liver!

In a week or so I will start eating healthier and start working out again, but it is too soon right now. Too many changes is overwhelming for me and feeling like that will only take me back to my old mate, Stella.
Old 07-04-2018, 02:04 PM
  # 77 (permalink)  

Day 7. I think I prefer snow rather than such unbearable heat. Not sure how you Aussies have an entire 6 months of this haha.
Old 07-04-2018, 03:42 PM
  # 78 (permalink)  

Dee74, I remember you from the last time I posted here. Nice to see you again.

Today is Day 3 for me. Had my last beer Sunday night.

I’m not doing too bad. My resolve is, fortunately, solid so far, and that makes it easier. It’s when I start to vacillate that the ring starts getting really heavy, so to speak.
Old 07-05-2018, 12:56 AM
  # 79 (permalink)  

My date of sobriety is 7/3. Count me in! I am so ready to live a sober life. Nice to meet you all.
Old 07-05-2018, 01:05 AM
  # 80 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Paige

D