Notices

Relapsed - ready to try again.

Old 06-29-2018, 05:07 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

So glad you made it back.

A few comments like the above, and slightly different -
I too work in the restaurant industry - I was a drunk before I left it for awhile, and I have been back in it sober for almost two years. I went back to being a server at 5mo bc I needed to support myself fully - and now, I work for a prominent restaurant group in the SE and MidAtlantic (US) - including leading a recovery group for F&B folks that our owner founded.

Being in F&B IS absolutely doable sober. It might not be a good idea for everyone at first - but I believe it can be done. The most important thing is wanting to be sober more than you want to drink, no matter who or what goes on around you - and for me, having a specific plan for minding my sobriety when I first went back (ie, I was friendly and great during my shifts - but I left right after and didn't hang around with the drinking crowd that dominated our staff).

Also, while two meetings a week would not have been enough AA when I first started (I did about 82 of the 90/90 AA recommends) or even now (at 889 days sober) - but it is a great start and I hope you commit to it. Making time for my recovery work in my life - like writing my daily recovery focused tasks in my daily planner, and KEEPING them!- was and continues to be simply critical.

You have had a lot of the important realizations that finally got me to quit- I hope you do, for good.

Stay with us.
Old 06-29-2018, 06:51 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Thanks Johnnie and August, very uplifting words there. @Brighterday; it is not possible to change jobs now, as I am going to New Zealand on a working holiday visa in September, so nowhere would hire me for such a short amount of time.

We also have a coworker's leaving do on Sunday night, a garden party, where it is only four of us and the other three will be drinking. That will be very difficult, in the sun and surrounded by booze, but if I get too tempted I will just leave. One beer will lead to ten, then back to square one and I am tired of square one.

I will come armed with Diet Coke! Luckily the other three people are mature enough to not try and persuade me to drink - if I say no, that will be enough for them.

Had to laugh last night when a regular asked if I was stopping for a drink after my evening shift and goggled at me like I had sprouted another head when I said I was going straight home. I really have a reputation! More proof that I am going down the right path