Notices

Feeling very low and probably in danger

Old 06-28-2018, 12:37 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

im not sure how it is in minnesota( thats what MN is,isnt it? ) but the job market for skilled trades is huge. hopin that with this door closing another one will open for ya.
Old 06-28-2018, 12:40 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by thomas11 View Post
Hi Scott, to address your first sentence, I have been told multiple times that I am a horrible drunk, so I think drinking would not be the answer. I appreciate the feedback.
It doesn't really matter how "bad" of a drunk any of us are really. My response was directed at your comment of being "in danger". I assumed that meant that you were in danger of drinking - and I was replying to reinforce the gravity of making that choice, nothing more or less.
Old 06-28-2018, 12:43 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
It doesn't really matter how "bad" of a drunk any of us are really. My response was directed at your comment of being "in danger". I assumed that meant that you were in danger of drinking - and I was replying to reinforce the gravity of making that choice, nothing more or less.
I have the urge to get drunk right now. But I keep thinking about what people have told me since I got sober and how horrible I was when drinking. I don't want to go back to that.
Old 06-28-2018, 01:00 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Battle that urge, my friend. Flex your sober muscles. Drinking will only make you feel worse.
Old 06-28-2018, 01:03 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I don't want to go back to that.
I think that's a wise choice. I remember very clearly what happened last time you went out and got drunk too, and it was not pretty at all. Stay close to your support here and pull on any you have locally too.

Also try to remember all of the positive things that have happened in your life since you quit drinking. The negative consequences can be a deterrent, but the positives you gain by staying sober are the real deal so to speak. Think of all the others you have helped here over your time sober too, that's quite an accomplishment.
Old 06-28-2018, 01:34 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I don't want to go back to that.
excellent!!
one thing im certain of for myself is there is another drunk in me.
one thing i am uncertain of is if there is another recovery in me.
its just not worth the risk to find out.
not only that, getting polluted never solved anything. one thing recovery has shown me is there will be times not very comfortable- times i have to go through and allow myself to feel. thats how growth happens.
Old 06-28-2018, 02:09 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Jeff - I'm sorry bro. Our bodies and other people get a lot less forgiving as we get older.

One thing I've learned for sure is - I'm a good man -I don't have to punish myself anymore - which is what any of us would be doing if we were to entertain that crazy thought of drinking.

Drinking at people never works - even when that person is yourself.

I have no doubt you'll find another job.

Be careful at that gym too - you've got nothing to prove man

D
Old 06-28-2018, 02:26 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Vietnam Vet

Hey buddy get that back healed up properly and then forget about this situation. It's history and you have a great future if you want it. Please don't drink as that REALLY brings on self pity and the outcome would be awful. Just think about how bad that sickening headache feels as opposed to fresh morning air with a good cup of coffee. Come on partner move on and up!
Old 06-28-2018, 03:22 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Jeff, you've been on these boards about the same time I have. I remember your story so well and your early struggles that developed into one of the best examples around here of turning things around. You are a truly resilient character with a lot of insight and capability to self-reflect, learn and grow.

I hope you take this the right way and don't think I'm belittling how horrible this recent news it, but you have been through more and come through it. This job doesn't sound the right one for you because the fellow is an intolerant d!ck and your skills will land you the right one.

BTW, zero tolerance for injuries to workers (no matter how they happen) - that belongs in the sweatshop era of the Industrial Revolution.

In every state of Australia, what he did would be illegal if you're on an employment contract or even a consultancy contract that resembles an employment contract. He would be looking at a huge pay out to you for unlawful termination. Here, you CANNOT terminate an employee who has missed work due to injury. If it happened here, I'd say to him, mate, are you crazy or do you just like to walk on the wild side of the law? It's worth just getting a consultation from a lawyer on that one.

All the best Jeff. Thinking of you. You're tough!!
Old 06-28-2018, 03:29 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

maybe look at it this way....the "desire" to get drunk over something is really just our brains seeking a solution......it's just that for so long we had A solution for EVERYTHING.

so now, you brain is wanting you to DO something....it's noticed your anxiety levels are elevated, that your pain levels have been peaking, that you have a general sense of doom and malaise. these are all alerts. address them......deal with them.......feel them. allow yourself to go thru a disappointing situation and not do anything stupid.
Old 06-28-2018, 04:27 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Just checking in see how you are doing, Jeff.
Old 06-28-2018, 05:03 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberLeigh View Post
Just checking in see how you are doing, Jeff.
Soberleigh, I am fine. Without boring anyone to death, I just talked to the guy who put me in touch with the job I lost. He is my age and said he felt horrible and would share that info with this kid. He sends around 150K a year to this kid, and that is over.
Old 06-28-2018, 05:08 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Glad that you are okay, Jeff.

I agree with the other poster who said that he may have felt threatened by your skill and expertise.
Old 06-29-2018, 02:22 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

I'm sorry that it's been a suck-fest lately but I think you'll be okay. Take care of that back!
Old 06-29-2018, 04:38 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Hope today is a better day Jeff
Old 06-29-2018, 05:05 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
Hope today is a better day Jeff
Thanks Scott. I've been through worse, much worse. After this holiday weekend I'll be back on the hunt for some part time work.
Old 06-29-2018, 05:10 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
Thomas11 didn't say he got hurt on the job. All he said was Monday night...

I've been fired unfairly from jobs. All I could do was accept it and look for something else.

If you're still in pain a lot of this will seem bigger and more unmanageable than it will once you're able to be up and about again. Chronic pain will do that.

How about binge watching some action adventure series where the good guy wins.

You're a good guy.

You'll land on your feet...soon.

Don't drink at it.
Just a comment on the job thing- if you are in the US, and MN is a state such as GA, which is a right to work state like many, you can be fired for any reason the employer deems suitable. Plenty even choose one that is a problem- whether you perceive it as such- to justify firing. it can be on the job or off the job (ie, one place I worked had a policy of firing people if they could be identified - say, with their work shirt on- outside of work and did not represent the co well).

I hope your back heals- I have been dealing with that myself, for the last three months.
Old 06-29-2018, 05:12 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Aww! Aint Karma a bitch!
You'll not only find another job, you will THRIVE!

Thomas11 said: Soberleigh, I am fine. Without boring anyone to death, I just talked to the guy who put me in touch with the job I lost. He is my age and said he felt horrible and would share that info with this kid. He sends around 150K a year to this kid, and that is over.
Old 06-29-2018, 05:16 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Man your support and input has directly helped my understanding of sobriety.

All you have to do is not drink. The rest of life gets worked out, for good or bad or typically something in between.

Stay strong. Thoughts are with you.
Old 06-29-2018, 05:17 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by August252015 View Post
Just a comment on the job thing- if you are in the US, and MN is a state such as GA, which is a right to work state like many, you can be fired for any reason the employer deems suitable. Plenty even choose one that is a problem- whether you perceive it as such- to justify firing. it can be on the job or off the job (ie, one place I worked had a policy of firing people if they could be identified - say, with their work shirt on- outside of work and did not represent the co well).

I hope your back heals- I have been dealing with that myself, for the last three months.

Since I owned a company with employees I'm aware of our employment laws. And yes, MN is a right to work state. He could have fired me if he simply didn't like the color of my socks. So he was justified, I have no legal recourse. Nor would I pursue it. still stinks.