Notices

Sober 55 days, Short term memory issues.

Old 06-28-2018, 08:38 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Sober 55 days, Short term memory issues.

I am 55 days sober, i have notice i am having short term memory issues?

What are some of the on-going withdrawal issues that you have experienced in early recovery?
Old 06-28-2018, 09:35 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Congrats on 55 days! Memory issues are common during the initial phases of recovery, along with a whole host of other possibly physical symptoms - just about anything really. If you have concerns, it's never a bad idea to get a basic checkup if you haven't done so since you quit. A lot of times we also neglected things like nutrition and exercise while we were drinking, so that can have adverse affects too. But our bodies and minds have an amazing capacity to heal so keep at it.
Old 06-30-2018, 12:51 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

I had horrible short term memory issues, and actually saw a neurologist about it. They were real.

FINALLY, after 13 months, my memory is improving. Dropping one of my psych meds also helped.
Old 06-30-2018, 03:25 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Spring,

Ime....I had many mainly mental problems for well over 6 months to a year.

Kindling and PAWS. Basically, chronic brain damage. My brain is still rewiring.

I didn't even search for/find SR until I was 80 days clean. I was going crazy and SR gave me the information I needed to suffer through the rewiring.

Physically I was relatively weak as well. I feel like my strength has improved dramatically since quitting being a drunk. I used to get light headed with the most moderate activity at times.

When I started taking a statin med, for cholesterol last year, that started to effect me as well. I began to feel like a zombie. I quit taking it immediately and normalized.

My big go to move is exercise. Doing 20 to 30 minutes on the stair climber makes me forget all my problems. The physical suffering overrides the mental for a time. Plus after a while I get an adrenaline rush.

Thanks.
Old 06-30-2018, 08:12 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

A feeling of cloudiness in my brain, memory and concentration issues. Very moody, easy to anger and upset, tired, apathetic. Around the 13 month mark I really started to feel better.
Old 06-30-2018, 08:20 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Keep Going

I found that too. I'm 14 months and my recovery has just leapt forward in terms of more memory, less confusion, more focussed, more connectedness, less anxiety. Keep going
Old 06-28-2019, 06:19 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

My short-term memory issues were when I was indulging in THC I am 55 days in recovery from alcohol now it will pass one day at a time
Old 06-28-2019, 06:31 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Although he/she has not posted since august I assume they have crossed the 13 month mark by now. Hopefully for them, the issue has resolved.
Old 06-28-2019, 07:55 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I’m in my third week and my memory and word recall are so bad. I was seriously way more with it when I was drinking. I feel like this means my brain is still recovering and trying to learn to live without the effects of alcohol. It is frustrating when I can’t remember the words I need