Notices

Weekender Thread 28th June to 2nd July 2018

Old 06-28-2018, 08:52 PM
  # 81 (permalink)  

Dear Snuff. As the song goes: He drinks a whiskey drink, he drinks a vodka drink, he drinks a lager drink, he drinks a cider drink. He sings the songs that remind him of the good times, he sings the songs that remind him of the best times...I get knocked down, but I get up again. You are never gonna keep me down!

Last edited by CaptainHaddock; 06-28-2018 at 09:00 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 06-28-2018, 09:08 PM
  # 82 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you didn't hurt yourself too Snuf...go to bed, rest up, tomorrow you can think about what to do next.

D
Old 06-28-2018, 09:50 PM
  # 83 (permalink)  
Mr

Good morning to all the weekenders.
Courage to you all struggling today.
Off to work.
Old 06-28-2018, 10:14 PM
  # 84 (permalink)  

Oh Snufkin, sending you the biggest hug. So glad you’re safe and posting on SR. Rest up and see what tomorrow brings, keep posting on here and don’t be afraid to ask for help when you need it ❤️
Old 06-28-2018, 11:40 PM
  # 85 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Morning Weekenders. Good to see you Bumblebee2.

Snufkin, well done for posting here and I am glad you didn't hurt yourself. Maybe next time you are asked to go drinking you could have a way of saying no that you thought out beforehand. As you say it is nice to be included and so you want to be able to say no without isolating yourself from your co-workers.

Great post PhoenixJ, you too CaptainH.

In a workshop below me two people have just started to use angle grinders. I am so glad that I am not hungover right now. I might go and dig out a set of ear defenders though.
Old 06-29-2018, 12:29 AM
  # 86 (permalink)  
Mr

Sao :
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
téléchargement (1).jpg (6.1 KB, 56 views)
Old 06-29-2018, 01:39 AM
  # 87 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Snuf, I'm glad you didn't hurt yourself.

That's a step. Keep taking steps. You'll get to happy.
Old 06-29-2018, 02:44 AM
  # 88 (permalink)  

Aaaahhhh Friday night and I’m feeling really restless and irritated and just totally blah and bleak and wondering what on earth I’m doing.... I know it will pass but it’s just yuk.... My man’s having a couple of beers after a crappy day at work and I’ve been feeling kinda lost and restless. I’ve tried lots of distractions, even dragged out an old jigsaw puzzle and got started to try and keep my mind off wine. And I just gave in and ate 3 huge ANZAC biscuits (YUM) and about 6 small chocolate bars AND a banana. But I didn’t drink. Not drinking anymore.I might have a sugar hangover tomorrow though....
I’m going back to the jigsaw puzzle to try and burn some of this sugar in some brain activity before I try to sleep
Oh and I ate a heap of caramel popcorn too that I just remembered...
Oh well, at least I didn’t drink
Old 06-29-2018, 02:50 AM
  # 89 (permalink)  

Joining you guys for another long weekend in Canada.
I'll be off on Monday for Canada Day!

Have a good Friday fellow weekenders!
Old 06-29-2018, 02:55 AM
  # 90 (permalink)  

You could do far worse than anzacs...i had triple choc coles biscuits tonight
Old 06-29-2018, 03:02 AM
  # 91 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by PhoenixJ View Post
Snuf...I get that. The shame and guilt btw- is you directed at you,,no one here will judge you. How many times, thousands of times did that happen to me??
It seemed to me if I drank- it was like I just did not understand why. The reason, I think - for that is because addiction does not follow logical thought. It is connected to a physical feeling, which gives and emotional response. The trick for me- was to build in a fail safe switch- so I do not go from good intentions to drinking. I know a guy, 10y sober- who for no reason he could understand- skulled a bottle of Japanese cooking wine, He was not stressed, had a good life- stable partner etc. He went on a 7 year bender. He does not understand why.
That is where the acceptance of being entirely and utterly unable to drink - to accept this as a FACT for me is so important. I can only do this with checkups from my GP- for major depression, PTSD etcetc, a counselor so I can work through keeping sober and a psychologist - with CBT to change my thinking.
My fail safe switch depends on a battery- that only gets recharged with constant effort.
I post here a lot, write books of journal stuff, paint a lot of crap (instead of drinking away a lot of crap) and make sure I avoid booze- and those who do booze. I also seek purpose- listen to advice and do stuff I do not understand why, or want to- because professional advise me too.
Meetings are very important- for me so I do not isolate - 'humaning' and to accept that this free group therapy is good..I do not hold to the god bit- but that is beside the point. I hear people say 'AA is not for me'..well it really is not for anyone. I try to focus on the prize- continued sobriety, rather than stay in the problems...
It takes work and focus- but you do not have to reach the depths of hell I went to..you can learn from others. Remember to rest, eat and hydrate- get some help...today is a new day and this moment is all we will ever have. The past cannot hurt us unless we let it.
Try to be kind to yourself...support to you.
This is a wonderful post PJ, thanks so much!

Snuf, today will be the beginning of your new journey!

I know you can do this mon amie!
Old 06-29-2018, 03:12 AM
  # 92 (permalink)  

Yeah I guess the ANZACs aren’t too bad Phoenix they’re big woolworths bakery ones.... but I just ate two more of them (they’re so delicious) and some more chocolate. Oh well, a Friday night sugar fest every now and then isn’t that bad really in the big scheme of things coles triple choc biscuits yum!
I think I’m going to have to take up running.....
Old 06-29-2018, 03:14 AM
  # 93 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Canadian Koala View Post
This is a wonderful post PJ, thanks so much!

Snuf, today will be the beginning of your new journey!

I know you can do this mon amie!
I totally agree CK. Truly awesome post PJ, and Snufkin you can do this, we’re with you with love and support ❤️❤️
Old 06-29-2018, 03:26 AM
  # 94 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

Originally Posted by Willow68 View Post
Yeah I guess the ANZACs aren’t too bad Phoenix they’re big woolworths bakery ones.... but I just ate two more of them (they’re so delicious) and some more chocolate. Oh well, a Friday night sugar fest every now and then isn’t that bad really in the big scheme of things coles triple choc biscuits yum!
I think I’m going to have to take up running.....
I did not supress any desire for treats, cookies, cake, ice cream, fizzy drinks, chocolate. In fact, I had my own stash of chocolate. I had sobriety well under way before I started cutting out up the carbs. Next is to make a habit of going to the gym on a regular basis....
Old 06-29-2018, 03:27 AM
  # 95 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

Originally Posted by Canadian Koala View Post
Joining you guys for another long weekend in Canada.
I'll be off on Monday for Canada Day!

Have a good Friday fellow weekenders!
Old 06-29-2018, 03:36 AM
  # 96 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by STDragon View Post
I did not supress any desire for treats, cookies, cake, ice cream, fizzy drinks, chocolate. In fact, I had my own stash of chocolate. I had sobriety well under way before I started cutting out up the carbs. Next is to make a habit of going to the gym on a regular basis....
Thanks Dragon. I’ve been trying not to overdo the sweet stuff, but weekends seem to roll me. That’s when I drank the most and now it’s when I’m craving sweets. I’m not going to beat myself up about it though. It’s a means to an end I guess. When I’m a bit safer in sobriety, I’ll look at trying harder to cut the sugar. I generally eat healthy food, but evenings are tricky
Old 06-29-2018, 03:53 AM
  # 97 (permalink)  
Mr

Bonne fête CK & Dragon and all canadian SRers !

I agree with Willow : "When I’m a bit safer in sobriety, I’ll look at trying harder to cut the sugar." Good Plan

I also agree that that was a from the heart and off the cuff post PJ.
Class act !

Its lunch time here and wont be long before the weekend.
My daughters school are putting on a little show this evening at 18h00. It always fun to watch her perform on stage. Sometimes she has her head in the clouds and is very capable of completely going off on a tangent in the middle of a show a song or a danse
She beats me up !
Old 06-29-2018, 04:15 AM
  # 98 (permalink)  

Willow, ANZAC biscuits really lift my spirits, too—and I’m not even Australian!

(Side note: every once in awhile my local supermarket gets a shipment of TimTams. I was fortunate enough to grab a pack last week).

In all seriousness, these early days are the very toughest you’all ever face in your sobriety battle.

Don’t think of your current carb binge as weakness: you were actually showing strong resistance, like Ulysses having himself tied to the mast when he passed the Sirens.

With every weekend you navigate successfully, you get stronger. The fight will get less overwhelming, because you’ll have faced it before and been victorious.

Develop even more distractions if you have to.

“Preach” to yourself with anti-alcohol arguments, pep talks, and “playing the tape through.”

It gets easier!
Old 06-29-2018, 04:26 AM
  # 99 (permalink)  
ours de petit cerveau

sorry you had a rough night ((Snufs)). I'm glad you didn't harm yourself.

hang in there
Old 06-29-2018, 04:26 AM
  # 100 (permalink)  
ours de petit cerveau