Notices

Weekender Thread 28th June to 2nd July 2018

Old 06-28-2018, 12:20 PM
  # 61 (permalink)  
Mr

MB, Bim, when I moved to France everyone was going on about the health system. In Ireland we paid too unless you were on social welfare. In France It might cost the country and tax payer a fortune but it is nice to have.

When ever you need it, it's there and is basically 100% free. Teeth, eyes, glasses, x-rays...
Old 06-28-2018, 12:20 PM
  # 62 (permalink)  

MidnightBlue, I was hoping that the recent work included the other two teeth and that the dentist would wait for payment. I am sorry to hear that is not the case.
Old 06-28-2018, 12:22 PM
  # 63 (permalink)  
Mr

Goodnight weekenders.

Old 06-28-2018, 01:04 PM
  # 64 (permalink)  

Good to see you, Soberclover!

Big welcomes to you, MindfulMan and CaptainHaddock!

MindfulMan, I hope you have an absolutely brilliant birthday!

My iPhone got wet somehow. It’s ttaken me 15 minutes to write this!
Old 06-28-2018, 01:06 PM
  # 65 (permalink)  

Sorry can’t manage to comment on others.
Old 06-28-2018, 01:26 PM
  # 66 (permalink)  
saoutchik

I hope your IPhone gets better Gilmer

Welcome Captain Haddock!

Fittingly I suppose Enland have just received a sobering dose of reality Belgium 1-0 England.
Old 06-28-2018, 02:48 PM
  # 67 (permalink)  

Sorry to everyone who was hoping that England would win!

MB, I’m so sorry they’ve added insult to injury with the gigantic dental bill.

Maybe you can console yourself with a smoothie extravaganza weekend!

Sorry you’re suffering.

And crisis averted: my phone is fixed! I immersed it in dry white rice for a couple hours.
Old 06-28-2018, 02:49 PM
  # 68 (permalink)  

Thanks for all the Doggy Dialog, Soberistas. 'Tis appreciated. MISTER 94 lb. [43 Kg.] Goldie was supposed to be more like 60 lbs. Double Recessive Genes, or sumptin', kicked in. A gentle giant that adores People.

A Public Service Techno Tip, Bim. I thought others might find this useful. We lost a fairly new Fridge at our Weekend Mountain House @ ~9,100' from Electrical Storm Surges. So, I bought a one-off Powerline Surge Protector to plug the new one into. Now, this Fridge here out West, and the heavily-electronic Cooktop, etc., all have Surge Protection. That blown mid-price Fridge had a Circuit Board in it that looked like the innards of - what - a Satellite Dish Receiver. Insanely complicated! It's not your Father's Ice Box anymore...
- '50s Refrigerator Ad -
Old 06-28-2018, 03:13 PM
  # 69 (permalink)  

Thanks for that. Surge protector on the To Do list. I lose power a lot here.
Old 06-28-2018, 04:29 PM
  # 70 (permalink)  

I’m at my daughter’s house. My granddaughter is 7 and my grandson is 4.

My granddaughter and I watched a movie:Tangled, which is the story of Rapunzel.

After much tribulation, the good Rapunzel is finally reunited with her true parents, the wonderful King and Queen.

The scene was actually pretty touching. While my granddaughter and I were sitting in silence, struggling to hold back tears, a voice behind us yelled out, “THAT’S FUNNY!!”

I looked back at my grandson and he was totally mocking us, thrilled to death with himself!

I’m rolling!

Both grandkids are looking over my shoulder howling hysterically as I type!
Old 06-28-2018, 05:43 PM
  # 71 (permalink)  

I loved Tangled

Nite W'enders. It's dinner and a movie.

I'm going to watch Angelina Jolie, "The Changeling" it better not be too creepy. It says it's a thriller. I don't usually like thrillers. If I find myself cringing it's straight back to "Friends."

Old 06-28-2018, 07:07 PM
  # 72 (permalink)  

I’m in for the weekend!

Oh and I love the movie Tangled! 😊
Old 06-28-2018, 07:36 PM
  # 73 (permalink)  

Sadly... it’s a big big fail tonight.

I had a really bad day at work, which I could talk hours about, but I think excuses are not the point... anyway, after my nightmare-shift, I still had to stay for a while to help carry some stock to another restaurant. When we were finally done, my coworkers asked if I wanna join them for a pint. I was mad at my boyfriend, exhausted with work and so angry at what happened, I didn’t even think much before I said yes. It was so late... shops were closed. How much can I drink with my colleagues anyway?

At first it was so nice - I felt great. Included... anything I’ve ever wanted - to belong, so I didn’t mind that all we did was talking crap about other people working in our restaurant (pathetic - I’m aware). As soon as I touched my fist beer, I knew that the speed we’re going with won’t be enough for me, so I insisted on buying everyone rounds, so I could have sneaky shots at the bar. Wow how cliche.

We’re finally done, I stumbled back home, drunk as one can get... first thing I thought of - time to die - where are my blades? I looked everywhere, but my BF did an amazing job and I couldn’t even find a pair of scissors. That’s when I started feeling sick... and my beautiful evening with such great friends turned into a vomitorium.

And now I’m here... restless and shameful in bed...

Was it worth it? Heh...

I’m thankful I didn’t hurt myself tonight.
Old 06-28-2018, 07:48 PM
  # 74 (permalink)  

Gilmer...that is so precious. Reminds me of my own kids when they were younger.
Welcome Captain and Soberclover.
MB, medical bills are insane. We have insurance but the amount we paid for my son's broken arm and all the follow up treatments and additional trip to the urgent care when he fell on it....AHHH! Fingers crossed it all goes smoothly and you can put these expenses and pain behind you soon.
This thread has been busy and it is only Thursday. Sorry I did not respond to all this weekend gathering is turning into a party. We even have a DJ!
Old 06-28-2018, 07:50 PM
  # 75 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

I’m thankful you didn’t hurt yourself tonight! So you've learned something. Get some sleep, be kind to yourself, and start again in the morning.
Old 06-28-2018, 07:53 PM
  # 76 (permalink)  

(((Snuf)))

I’m thankful you didn’t hurt yourself, too!

Get some rest. You’ll be able to think more clearly in the morning.
Old 06-28-2018, 07:54 PM
  # 77 (permalink)  

Hi, Bumblebee!
Old 06-28-2018, 07:56 PM
  # 78 (permalink)  

Oh Snuf, ....sleep now. I too, am glad you are safe. STAY safe. Tomorrow you get yourself in order. Make this a slip and not a slide.
Old 06-28-2018, 08:00 PM
  # 79 (permalink)  

Snuf...I get that. The shame and guilt btw- is you directed at you,,no one here will judge you. How many times, thousands of times did that happen to me??
It seemed to me if I drank- it was like I just did not understand why. The reason, I think - for that is because addiction does not follow logical thought. It is connected to a physical feeling, which gives and emotional response. The trick for me- was to build in a fail safe switch- so I do not go from good intentions to drinking. I know a guy, 10y sober- who for no reason he could understand- skulled a bottle of Japanese cooking wine, He was not stressed, had a good life- stable partner etc. He went on a 7 year bender. He does not understand why.
That is where the acceptance of being entirely and utterly unable to drink - to accept this as a FACT for me is so important. I can only do this with checkups from my GP- for major depression, PTSD etcetc, a counselor so I can work through keeping sober and a psychologist - with CBT to change my thinking.
My fail safe switch depends on a battery- that only gets recharged with constant effort.
I post here a lot, write books of journal stuff, paint a lot of crap (instead of drinking away a lot of crap) and make sure I avoid booze- and those who do booze. I also seek purpose- listen to advice and do stuff I do not understand why, or want to- because professional advise me too.
Meetings are very important- for me so I do not isolate - 'humaning' and to accept that this free group therapy is good..I do not hold to the god bit- but that is beside the point. I hear people say 'AA is not for me'..well it really is not for anyone. I try to focus on the prize- continued sobriety, rather than stay in the problems...
It takes work and focus- but you do not have to reach the depths of hell I went to..you can learn from others. Remember to rest, eat and hydrate- get some help...today is a new day and this moment is all we will ever have. The past cannot hurt us unless we let it.
Try to be kind to yourself...support to you.
Old 06-28-2018, 08:04 PM
  # 80 (permalink)  

What a fine post, PJ!