Notices

Scared to get sober!!!!

Old 06-27-2018, 05:00 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Scared to get sober!!!!

My biggest fear is getting sober and going through both physical and mental withdrawals. I've been addicted since the age of 13. I don't know how to live sober. I'm so scared.
Old 06-27-2018, 05:12 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hello, essjade187.

You didn't say how old you are now. I don't know because I'm not a medical doctor, but would you feel safe talking to a doctor about the physical withdrawals? At one point I had to be put on a mild medication because of the cramps in my feet and hands. The mental withdrawals were bad - but - I had help. I attended AA meetings and met people who so graciously shared their stories with me, their experience, strength, and hope. As I said, I don't know your present age but the longer you wait the worse it gets. Alcoholism is a progressive disease. But I didn't get sober out of fear. I got sober because I did not want to live that way anymore. Life is good without alcohol. It no longer makes choices for me. I took back my life and I'm grateful for my sobriety one day at a time.
Old 06-27-2018, 05:13 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

It's frightening at first but mostly just because it's "an unknown". Have you talked to your dr about physical withdrawal at all?
Old 06-27-2018, 05:35 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

It's great to have you with us, essjade. I'm so glad you decided to take a look at what drinking is doing to your life.

I drank for 30 yrs. I convinced myself that life would be dull and pointless without it. In the end, the opposite was true - I was always numb & foggy. Nothing was happy or exciting. I knew I wanted to reclaim my life, but I was scared too. Being here and talking about my feelings really helped. Everyone understands. I hope you'll keep reading & posting.
Old 06-27-2018, 05:41 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Getting sober was hard, but worth the effort. I hope our support can help you overcome your fear and get sober for good.
Old 06-28-2018, 04:37 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Rar

Hi Essjade. Welcome to SR. You are not alone. You don't say how much you've been drinking, but sharing with a doctor is a good first step. Medical treatment can help ease the physical discomfort of withdrawal. Reading the threads here will give you ideas on what others have done, in addition to giving you strength to continue. It also helps to ward off cravings. I'm looking forward to getting to know you. Hang in there.
Old 06-28-2018, 04:55 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome. I too was terrified on what would be on the other side...but ultimately I knew that whatever uncertain future (physically and in all other ways) was worth risking over a certain death by drinking.

Good drs helped me, I began AA and I simply had to take the best care of myself possible as it took time to heal. I went through a LOT but I can tell you that the suffering I went through in the first year was ultimately so small compared to what my drinking life had become- and to pay for the life I have now.

You can do this.
Old 06-28-2018, 05:16 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hello and welcome.
I remember being afraid to stop drinking. It was a scary thought to me. I was addicted and couldn't imagine life without drinking because I had been drunk for so long.
How do you stop drinking? I didn't know. All I knew was I needed to drink because I'd been at it for so many years.
I didn't know what to expect/ I didn't know what would happen to me. I had no Idea how I could live sober. It scared me. Really scared me. I'd been drinking around the clock.

I was even afraid to go to sleep, or pass out actually, because I would wake up sober. So, I drank first thing after waking up.

I understand where you're coming from. II was in the same situation. For many years.
As per above it may be a good idea to see a doctor and be brutally hones about your drinking. It may be hard to think of doing, but necessary.
I finally white knuckled it, which I don't recommend, and went to AA.
Eventually I was able to stop after many failed attempts. And I drank Heavily and alcoholically for over twenty five years. I started drinking at age 14. And would drink like an alcoholic from the start.

Best to you and you're not alone. Stopping drinking can be done. You can do it. You have my support, I know where you're coming from. I've been there.
Old 06-28-2018, 06:16 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hello,
I also know how scary this can be, that fear will subside.

Can you take a few "me" days? This is what I did to jumpstart the process. Maybe you could get a few days off work, stock up on healthy food and fluids, rent some movies, and chill out for a few days.

After the first few days, that fear will change into another emotion, and then another, this road is full of twists, bumps, and rolling hills. Fear seems to be the first big curve for most of us.

It won't last long, ride the wave, you can do this!!

Old 06-28-2018, 12:17 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome, essjade. Would it be possible for you to see a doctor? They can prescribe meds that make withdrawals much more bearable, although there will be some discomfort. What ever you say will be confidential. We didn't get to alcoholism overnight and it will take time--time most well-spent--to recover.
I'm glad you're here. Wishing you all the best.
Old 06-28-2018, 01:05 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I remember feeling exactly the same way. I had no idea who I would even BE without the alcohol. Thankfully, through working a program of recovery I was able to learn how to live sober comfortably, just like many other folk. And you can as well.

So glad you found us.

BB
Old 06-28-2018, 03:27 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome essjade

I was terrified too - but I was more terrified of not stopping.

I drank all day every day for several years. Now I have over a decade of sober time - it really is possible, and you'll find a ton of support here

D