Notices

What works for me

Old 06-27-2018, 08:15 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

What works for me

I found this site in midst of my first serious withdrawal situation after the worst bender of my life. It was between 16 and 32 drinks per day for about two weeks. At the end, I puked blood and ended up in the ER. Afterwards, I struggled with tapering and being scared to death of having a siezure, anxiety likely a symptom of withdrawal.

I spent several days in bed just reading threads on SoberRecovery, looking for just a single moment of relief or hope that there's a way out of this. My third day tapering with only 4 pints per day, I finally found a thread that gave me hope. I wanted to comment, but it was two years old. Soon after, I ran across a Ted Talks that provided me the missing link to solve my addiction that has progressed for 17 years.

As I'm new to the forum, I'm not sure what I'm allowed to talk about, but I will say that I recently got my first prescription of Naltrexone and.... holy.... wow. I have never felt so close to be being myself my entire life. I am now eefectively able to control not only addiction, but also any sort of behavior that is impulsive or immature.

I know there's a lot of skepticism on the subject, but I wholly believe in this method, but... it is only one piece of the puzzle to what most call impossible.... a complete recovery. I would like to provide my insights as I have done extensive research and have personally experienced IMMEDIATE relief on a miraculous scale. I feel like it's my responsibility to share this experience so others can learn how to utilize naltrexone which is, without a doubt, the absolute solution to anyone who struggles with alcohol. However, like AA, it has to be used properly, along with other necessary factors.

I'm eager to get this discussion going.
Old 06-27-2018, 11:34 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

You are referring to the Sinclair method correct? Or are you using naltrexone to support abstinence?

I have heard good things from some, not good from others. So I think it is somewhat individual. It can make some people really sick...some end up adjusting some not. I have also heard that after 9-12 months it loses it efficacy. So, like you said, making sure a robust program that addresses mind, body, spirit and community is important.

How long have you been on it? Are you doing the shot or the pills?
Old 06-27-2018, 12:04 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
quat

A complete recovery is entirely Possible , only the addiction floats the lie of 'impossibility'. Breaking that illusion was my holy...wow , Quit ,not stopped drinking, and Bam recovered
Old 06-27-2018, 12:33 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

These forums are based on abstinence.

We don't allow any discussion of the Sinclair Method on SR.
Old 06-27-2018, 01:59 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Naltrexone has perhaps a good success rate in the statistical sense and in terms of individual success stories, but personally I overrode it. Not saying that it would not work for someone else but there is no magic pill or injection. I did both the pills and shots. It did never work for me. Not saying it would not work for you but I don't believe in it at all. It took the edge off the buzz but you could still get drunk.
Old 06-27-2018, 02:09 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Naltrexone made me impossibly ill. I still have to be bottle and I get nauseuos whenever I see it.
Old 06-27-2018, 02:12 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I do not believe in disulfiram aka Antabuse either. Had a prescription for it but my aunts husband that is a high ranking psychiatrist and has dealt with extreme addiction patients said not to take it. Again,if you think that meds will cure you, go for it but get a second opinion. Find a recovery path that will work for you in the long term.