Notices

11 days/Gabapentin

Old 06-25-2018, 07:28 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

11 days/Gabapentin

So, as the title states, 11 days is how long I've been sober. Thanks to an expensive medical detox that had to be done because alcohol is extremely dangerous to quit cold Turkey and I had no desire to die.... I went and got help.
I'm proud.
Was prescribed a vitamin and some gabapentin to take. The vitamin is fine but I'm wondering about the gabapentin. Any thoughts on this subject? Anyone heard of it? I took it at the detox center too. I'm currently only taking some at night but she wants me up to 3 times a day! I just got sober and in not trying to get hooked on something else.
Any advice would be great. I know not everyone is a doctor but just any personal experience could help.
Old 06-25-2018, 07:42 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I took Gabapentin for a few years on a RX, the dosage was pretty high and the pills where large.

The medication did not have any type of intoxicating effect on me whatsoever.
Old 06-25-2018, 07:46 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

I've been taking gabapentin on and off for years.

They put me on a very high dose in rehab. I saw my external psychiatrist 3 weeks in and she thought it high. 3600mg/day, I had taken a max of 900/day before for various reasons. It helps with anxiety without giving me a "buzz" (unlike benzos) and I was coming off of 5 bottles of wine and 3mgs lunesta (sleep aid) a day. I had no issues stopping it, I tapered it after rehab.

I've read some stories about people becoming dependent on it or having a tough time when they stopped, but personally I never had any of this. It was pretty innocuous and helped me sleep. I did get some swelling/fluid retention in my legs.